Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Space Mountain HK vs Anaheim- hidden effect

Okay, I have ridden the Hong Kong Space Mountain and the Anaheim Space Mountain rides. They are exactly the same except for:

1. The HK SM load area is on the ground level immediately once you enter the building. There is NO interior que (maybe 10 feet) and no build up.

2. At the top of the Anaheim first lift hill as you turn 180deg to head to the second small lift hill, the Anaheim ride used to have the Fedex satelite. Now it is dark. The HK ride has 3 asteroids there and they are illuminated and there is a projector mounted in one and is used to project images. I have ridden the Anaheim SM and if you look back (as you are heading to the small 2nd lift hill) at where the Fedex Satelite was you can make out the asteroids.

I wonder why Anaheim doesn't use the same effect as HK? They installed the asteroids but decided not to illumiate them?

• Banned User

Re: Space Mountain HK vs Anaheim- hidden effect

I am wondering this as well but nobody has a response to that question for some reason.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

I thought FedEx sponsorship was limited to WDW's SM. The lighted orange geodesic 'space station' original in 1977 was not to my hazy recollection ever a 'FedEx satellite'; but I'm no Space Mountain expert, by any stretch of the imagination.

• =)

The FedEx sponsorship indeed applied here in California, too. In fact, that geodesic satellite was called the FX-1, which stood for--you guessed it--FedEx. As to why they don't illuminate the asteroid(s) here, I'm really not sure, but I wish there was something illuminated right there. The FX-1...sigh. I miss it a lot.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

It's never lit up cause I think it's too bright? I could be wrong.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The FX-1...sigh. I miss it a lot.
    It really was appealing, but I can't cite a specific reason.

• Shubisha

The asteroids were lit for a week or two in August of 2005 or so and then turned off again ever since. Some say it's because it made the interior too bright but I don't think it made any difference in there and even without it on you can see around to the same extent.

• =)

It really was appealing, but I can't cite a specific reason.
    Strange, isn't it? Its purpose and nature were far from explicit; you were left to assume it was a satellite or something, but that's it. The concentric orange stripes had a bizarre sci-fi loveliness to them, and as much as I love the current SM aesthetic, I do miss that look a lot.

Speaking of which, anyone else think it'd be cool of Space Mountain went into "classic mode" at nights or every other hour or something? Obviously, not everything would be the same--not by a long shot. But switching the color scheme to the bluish look from before, temporarily changing the music back to the "Aquarium" soundtrack, and changing the lift and re-entry effects would go a long way. It'd make for some nice variety. I say this not because I think either version was necessarily superior; they're both cool, and I'd love to get to experience both.

Yeah, I remember reading about Disney cutting back on the light in the mountain. One of the other things they did was to remove the windows that were visible from the que. They wanted to control the light better and if I remember correctly, FX-1 was pretty bright.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

There are several differences between the Hong Kong and Disneyland Space Mountains. The queues, loading areas, and some of the effects in the ride are different. Hong Kong does not have a space port for a loading area. I'm not quite sure what is is supposed to be. It is pretty, with some planets and things hanging around, but very simple compared to Disneyland's. The Hong Kong version also features a few asteroids which you dodge near the re-entry tunnel at the end of the ride. I also seem to recall some lit rings that you go through (but I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly).

At the beginning, you have an exploding asteroid and at the end you dodge some. It sort of gives you the feeling that you are escaping an explosion. I really like the subtle difference.

As for the Disneyland asteroid. It is still there, there is just a lighting issue. It would be great if they'd fix it, but it doesn't really matter much.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    Your on the right track thats what I heard also
    Power Levels At Maximum *BEEP* Locking Launch Cordinates

RCT3 Universal Web Site v
    http://www.freewebs.com/mattatt14
    The world was built on Imagination

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I read that a while back at MC. It seems to be a fairly accepted theory for why the asteriods aren't illuminated, and it makes sense. I wish Disney could find a way to slightly illuminte the asteriods, without making the rest of the ride noticeable brighther.

• =)

The nice thing about the FX-1 was that it wasn't all lit--it had reddish-orange stripes, and the rest was dark, so it didn't light up the interior of the mountain as much as a fully-lit, medium-gray asteroid would. Solution: bring back the FX-1!

It's also not lit because it's broken. It no longer rotates as it was supposed to.

• =)

It's also not lit because it's broken. It no longer rotates as it was supposed to.
    But if they decided to, they could fix it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast