• Yes

12 15.19%
  • No

61 77.22%
  • Unsure

6 7.59%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Should the MS Train Depot add an Elevator?

Logistically I think it would be nearly impossible to add a wheelchair lift to the MS Train Depot. I know it could be done, and in some ways may be able to fit the turn of the century theme... the question is should it be done, and if so which side? I say should because if this lift proves popular, and I believe it would, then you would have a line similar to the one at the parking lot! You would have those who need it, those think they need it, and those who want it. You would also have people bringing up strollers as well. Then there is the other problem to consider... congestion in a major entrance/exit!

Obviously a ramp is out of the question given the elevation one needs to achieve and the ADA specifications for incline grades, so that would leave an elevator as the only possible solution.

Thoughts...
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Should the MS Train Depot add an Elevator?

It isn't needed. Handicapped guests can access any of the other Disneyland Railroad stations. Adding an elevator to the Main Street station is a waste of time, money and theming.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Should it be there? Yes. Do I think it needs to be? Not really.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    It isn't needed. Handicapped guests can access any of the other Disneyland Railroad stations. Adding an elevator to the Main Street station is a waste of time, money and theming.
    It's just me but I always thought it was sad that the first ride you see when you enter Disneyland is the ride that isn't wheelchair accessible from Main Street. It's a "here it is, now go to Tomorrowland or New Orleans so you can board it"... and if it is a grandpa with little ones then that is kinda sad if you ask me! I have watched elderly people brave the stairs because their grandkids, or great grandkids wanted to ride... as a CM that made me both angry and sad! The other evening as we were exiting Disneyland we watched this exact scenario unfold...

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

I can be done WITHOUT messing up the area you simply dig an hole in the top of the platform in the area behind the station (facing the castle) that is not currently not used thereby putting it inside the mound that the station is built on top of with an entrance at street level on either the back or side wall (by the bank) and to keep it in theme do the style of it in 1900's look...

and to those that say it isnt needed disabled people can use other stations....uh you arent disabled arent you so you have business making such decisions for people who are! And it IS needed there for disabled people because that IS the main entrance and exit to the park......

but will Disney co do it? nah.... cuz the tightwads only spend money if forced to or if their accountants think it will pay for itself in 6 months...

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Obviously a ramp is out of the question given the elevation one needs to achieve and the ADA specifications for incline grades, so that would leave an elevator as the only possible solution.
    Disneyland has installed ADA ramps at the three other stations while also converting all four trains to accommodate wheelchairs. These efforts alone are above and beyond ADA guidelines. It's not necessary to obscure an historical landmark like Main Street Station with an elevator.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

WHy in the world would Disneyland waste money on something that can be enjoyed from 75% of the stations? That would be money better spent elsewhere.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    I can be done WITHOUT messing up the area you simply dig an hole in the top of the platform in the area behind the station (facing the castle) that is not currently not used thereby putting it inside the mound that the station is built on top of with an entrance at street level on either the back or side wall (by the bank) and to keep it in theme do the style of it in 1900's look...
    Minor modifications would need to be made for the sake of safety but I am fairly confident it could be done.

and to those that say it isnt needed disabled people can use other stations....uh you arent disabled arent you so you have business making such decisions for people who are! And it IS needed there for disabled people because that IS the main entrance and exit to the park......

but will Disney co do it? nah.... cuz the tightwads only spend money if forced to or if their accountants think it will pay for itself in 6 months...
    Let me be the first to say that this thread was not written to allow venting or pointing of fingers from either side. I see it as accessibility vs aesthetics, and to be able to balance both would be my goal. Watching an elderly person barely make it up the stairs, determined to ride with their grandchild, is something that I feel should not have happened in Disneyland, and certainly should not be showcased at the main entrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Code90 View Post
    Disneyland has installed ADA ramps at the three other stations while also converting all four trains to accommodate wheelchairs. These efforts alone are above and beyond ADA guidelines. It's not necessary to obscure an historical landmark like Main Street Station with an elevator.
    Who said anything about obscuring it? My entire point is to preserve the structure, and allow others to enjoy it as well.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-03-2008 at 10:03 PM.

No

• "I Break Things"

My two biggest concerns in adding an elevator are the congestion, and who would use it. I can already see the elevator being clogged by strollers, and individuals who suddenly feel they "need" it. I also could see it becoming a congestion point because of the limited elevator capacity. Trains can't staff an elevator, so there would be no "policing" or "GAC checks" or "directing Guests to the stairs". I also realize it would likely have to be shut down during the parade due to the limited walkway space.

The reason I say this is that I watched this same scenario unfold with the addition of the Ucy at Jungle. I witnessed Guests, some of them AP's, who suddenly went from being independent to "needing" the Ucy. It also has it's fair share of individuals who honestly need it and benefit from it... but it caused the GAC line to balloon out the exit, and that was with Skips monitoring the use of the boat.

Generally we would ask individuals if they were capable of going up/down a small step, and if they were capable of a short walk... and we would show them the boats and let them decide. We always offered the Ucy as an alternative and cited the fact that they could wait for it to come around, and it would surprise you who chose to climb in and ride and who chose to wait.

I can honestly see a benefit to having an elevator at MS Station. It would allow greater accessibility, and allow individuals the opportunity to ride the Trains when they first walk in instead of needing to go to Tomorrowland or New Orleans. I can imagine how I would feel if I wanted to ride Indy and was instructed to go to Splash or Space in order to board it! I can also see the cons to such a venture.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    My two biggest concerns in adding an elevator are the congestion, and who would use it. I can already see the elevator being clogged by strollers, and individuals who suddenly feel they "need" it. I also could see it becoming a congestion point because of the limited elevator capacity.
    I do not think a full size elevator would ever be practical in either a logistical or aesthetic manner. A small, open wheelchair elevator might be possible. Such an elevator would require staffing, have incredibly limited capacity, and not help those without mobility devises.

The other possible option I could see is tunneling under Main Street Station and then going up right into the station.

There is then the logistics of entering and exiting. Access would have to be properly routed and controlled. The whole endeavor continues to seem to require some staffing.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Sorry, thematically it doesn't work. It would ruin theme and modify a historical land mark.

As it is, when getting on at one of the other stations with a wheelchair-bound member of your party, if there's a couple other parties in front of you with wheelchairs waiting to board (which is usual), it could be HOURS before you get to ride the train. Train after train would go by with someone already occupying the wheelchair area before one could let a chair on, so with three wheelchairs waiting, around nine trains might have to pass on average before they'd all have boarded, and when they only have two trains running... eek.

Now, would adding a fourth accessible station help that or make it worse? It could go either way, I think.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The theme argument is a load of crap if you ask me. I understand it is unlikely that the depot at a small, midwest town would actually have an elevator. The technology did exist in the time, as Elisha Otis installed his first passenger elevator in 1857. With Main Street, USA being an amalgamation of the time spanning 1890 - 1910, that puts the elevator at 33 years before the oldest aspects of the town.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The theme argument is a load of crap if you ask me. I understand it is unlikely that the depot at a small, midwest town would actually have an elevator. The technology did exist in the time, as Elisha Otis installed his first passenger elevator in 1857. With Main Street, USA being an amalgamation of the time spanning 1890 - 1910, that puts the elevator at 33 years before the oldest aspects of the town.
    Yeah but do you really think Disney would go to all the trouble to recreate one of these vintage elevators? I think not. It will be a thematic violation with a modern elevator sticking out like a soar thumb. Not to mention the amount of modification needed to the main street station wouldn't be worth it. As it is I don't agree with the recent modification to the bank.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 06-03-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast