Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

To pin, or not to pin...

I got to say that when the trading pins were first introduces I thought they were another underhanded ploy from Disney to exploit characters, rides, parks and a great many other things for a profit. It was almost maddening see all these people walking around with a ton of these little pins hanging around there neck, not to mention the carts that I viewed as being eyesores everywhere. I could not understand this insanity of paying 6-14$ for a piece of metal! But then it happened. I bought one......

While on my honeymoon we ran across a pin that had Mickey and Minnie cutting a cake that was very reminiscent to our own, down to the very color! Minus them being mice and all ofcourse! From there we only bought a few more but now I have the craving for more! We agreed that we each should buy one every time we go but I have been perusing E-bay and my lust for pins is growing. So who else has the madness?!! The pin madness!
    Last edited by Dirton; 08-19-2005 at 11:35 AM.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: To pin, or not to pin...

Well, I'm not a Disney pin addict at all, but I can certainly appreciate the addiction. I'm an Olympic pin guy myself and have a few collector issued sets and about 4 other picture frames filled to the gills with single pins.

• /sigh

I got the pin bug a few years back and went absolutely nuts! Ebay was my friend at that time. Always, looking for unique pins to add to my collection. I first started with 1 pin on a lanyard that my bf bought for me. It was donald kissing daisy with a little floating heart above them. That lanyard soon became heavy as pins soon grew up each side. Then came my little teeny pin bag...which eventually become overpopulated with pins. So, I finally upgraded to the large pin bag, which is slowly become too full as well.

I've slowly stopped my craze, as it seems the pins are not as unique and small as they once were. I liked the little special pins....now they seem to large and bulky. I do however, pick one up here and there...and sometimes that urge to collect rises....

Oh my poor wallet!
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Jacob <3 Cotton Candy

ay chihuaua!!! I thought I was bad buying 10-12 pins every time I went to disneyland...I love to pin trade with people and it is neat way to start conversations with people!!! Once you do it you can never go back to the same ol pin admirer...I collect only retro MIckey and Minnie Pins (especially the lanyard pins that have been coming out lately), Donald and LIttle Mermaid pins....Just collecting for just those three is proving to be an expensive addiction....
    Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• On Autopilot

In my opinion the pins are the only thing worth buying at Disneyland anymore( minus those huge scuptures and paintings that cost an arm and a leg)

One thing that I don't like is the unorganised lanyards and pins that people put on them with no ryhme or reason.

me? Strictly my top five favorite characters (Maleficent, Vanessa, Mirage, Helga, and if the ever make one, Larxene, but right now I had to settle on Shego)

• Prefect

Blog Entries

^i agree. i kinda started haphazardly, just getting whatever struck my fancy. after talking with robert951, i realized i should focus on a couple of themes. IMO, it makes for a more interesting hunt & saves $$$ on buying on impulse.

i resisted for a loooong time, but i am now officially a pin-trader, ugh.
    <o>

• Miranda Lambert and Me!

I am a pin addict. I am such a pin addict that I did a Pinterview on Mousepod (#11) and I have also wrote two pin articles for disneyworldtrivia.com!
    Listen to me on the radio!

us101country.com Fridays- 9p-12m ET and Saturdays- 7p-10p ET

981thelegend.com Monday-Friday - 12m-6a ET

rock105.net Sundays - 10p-12m ET

You can also visit my DJ blog HERE!
    Also, I have a Myspace- CLICK HERE

The first trip we took to WDW after the "pin madness" started, I went a kinda got into it, bought 10 of the little buggers. Then when I got home, I realized that was almost $80 I spent on pins. PINS!!!!!! I just rrealized the pure guniess of the system, because honestly, its $7 here, $10 there, you never realize how quickly it adds up! So now, like you, I have strictly imposed limits on myself. If I see one I like, I have to wiat until the next trip, and if I remember, then i will get it. (in order to cut down on impulse buying.)
    I would have gotten the "I was there pin" if they had actually been avalible to everyone who was there. (I'm still so ticked about that!!!!) Why only produce enough of an item for less than a tenth of the guests?

Back on point: I get them for myself- I WILL NOT wear those awful lanyards. I'll wear one at a time!
    I reject your reality, and subsitute my own!

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney
    I would have gotten the "I was there pin" if they had actually been avalible to everyone who was there. (I'm still so ticked about that!!!!) Why only produce enough of an item for less than a tenth of the guests?
    don't even get me started on this! i spent the entire day that "i was there" in line for that damn thing!! i got it, but that should have been available to everyone who would've liked to purchase it that day.
    <o>

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

I'm afraid to buy pins, because I know it will lead to an addiction I can't afford! Did get the "I was there" one though. More of a challenge - let's see if I can wait it out - than a need for the pin.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NemoZorro
    I'm afraid to buy pins, because I know it will lead to an addiction I can't afford! Did get the "I was there" one though. More of a challenge - let's see if I can wait it out - than a need for the pin.
    Man, we must be brothers from another time or something... I feel the EXACT same way, and I got an "I Was There" pin on the 17th too!

I have three pins now, but ironically, I haven't paid for any of them...

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    Man, we must be brothers from another time or something... I feel the EXACT same way, and I got an "I Was There" pin on the 17th too!

I have three pins now, but ironically, I haven't paid for any of them...

Makes them that much more special! Yea, we have talked about pins and looked at alot of them (really love some of the "Nightmare" ones, but if we get started, the budget will be shot). Most of our fun money gets spent just getting to DL, and buying cameras of course .

Have you ever worn the "I Was There" one? We usually don't decorate ourselves much, other than the gold ears, but now I'm even afraid to wear the 17th ones for fear I would lose it or damage it somehow. Wouldn't want to run the risk of someone pin snatching....but it is a really cool pin!
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

I'd never really collected pins before our last trip to DLR. Before we left I picked up a LE Jack Skellington lanyard off one of the Disney pin web sites. It was a standard black lanyard but had a medallion of Jack hanging at it's base. It also came with a smaller snowflack pin to match the background of the medallion. By the time we were finnished with our trip my lanyard was full and heavy. I even bought the screw-on bases for my pins so none would get lost.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by NemoZorro
    Makes them that much more special! Yea, we have talked about pins and looked at alot of them (really love some of the "Nightmare" ones, but if we get started, the budget will be shot). Most of our fun money gets spent just getting to DL, and buying cameras of course .

Have you ever worn the "I Was There" one? We usually don't decorate ourselves much, other than the gold ears, but now I'm even afraid to wear the 17th ones for fear I would lose it or damage it somehow. Wouldn't want to run the risk of someone pin snatching....but it is a really cool pin!
    We bought the pin backs that screw on rather than the regular black mickey head ones. They keep the pins in place and you have to use a little allen wrench to take the pin off. I wear my pin, it's like a badge of honor or something.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by iheartdisney
    Back on point: I get them for myself- I WILL NOT wear those awful lanyards. I'll wear one at a time!
    Yeah, we have been puting them on my back pack. Two on the back (white rabbit, wedding one) and two on the straps (siamies cats, tweedle dee tweedle dum)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast