Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Creating Carsland

Look at the maps on the DCA project tracker, the Mater attraction is pretty much dead center of the park once the expansion is done. Below its shown with a golden push pin.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 06-05-2008 at 04:44 PM.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Hello

Cool Re: Creating Carsland

This isn't completely related to carsland, but related to the area.

On the L.A. Times map the Chinese food place that hasn't opened in 10 years is marked with an orange box, does that mean something is replacing it?

Thanks

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    This isn't completely related to carsland, but related to the area.

On the L.A. Times map the Chinese food place that hasn't opened in 10 years is marked with an orange box, does that mean something is replacing it?

Thanks

According to some WDI elite, they said that Pacific Wharf would be getting a redeveloped dining option. I'm not sure when that will take place or if it really is taking over Lucky Fortune, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well I hope that will make it all work, I understand what they're trying to do and I guess it could work, but I think it's going to be a really challenging design problem to make all that stuff come together and look like it was meant to be there. I still would have moved the Mater ride more into the back of Carsland so that eventually that whole area could be rethemed either to expand the SF theme or possibly to be used to create a new land there by removing bugs land and the farm.

I agree that the attraction would have worked deeper inside the land.

The whole idea is to create a transition point from bugsland into Carsland. The Mater attraction vehicles are based on the farm tractors from the movie. So the junkyard will have lush landscaping and vehicles that have a farm connection.

The attraction will eventually be in the center of the park just like the map you posted which is kind of awkward but he landscaping should help quite a bit. The attraction will take up the area used by the eating facilities of farmers market and the water play area.

Also notice the area just west of the attraction. The area will basically be the entrance point for the land with filmores house and sarges house.

The entrance of CarsLand will not exactly be where the gates are now.

It will be ineteresting to see how the area will look once the whole parade route from suncourt to pt flea area is removed and turned into a lush walkway eventually this long stretch of what used to be a parade route will have room for other structures that blend in nicely to the lush and foresty look of the back of grizzley and front of whats left of bugsland

• Senior Minion

The landscaping and the improved walkway through that area will help a lot, I guess I could see that being pretty nice. I just think it could be better.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

oh i agree. I would had like the wharf and the farm area turned into a New orleans style section as the center of the park. Something with a waterfront on the south side. a san francisco area that would fit nicely with the wine area. Just like san Francisco and wine country fit together up north

I was thinking of some rides for Carsland (which I am convinced should be called Radiator Springs) and I came up with this:
    howabout, a reincarnation of the original Ford Magic Skyway.
    Using the peoplemover technology, you ride in a old fashioned '50s style car around Carsland. This ride isn't exactly like the orginal skyway (plus name would be different) because you would ride around the desert scenery and receive some commentary thru the radio about car history and maybe the other attractions of the land. Also, there's old fashioned classic '50s music. Then later, you enter a show building, that is themed to a car assembly line. You get more commentary on the history of cars.

I believe this ride would be a good addition to Carsland. It's kind of a cross between the Ford Magic Skyway, the Peoplemover, and Autopia. I kind of thought this ride up really quickly and maybe a few possible names are Road Trip, Route 66 Road Trip, Route 66 Riders, or Road Trip Riders.

I'm not quite sure on the name, but how does the ride idea sound?
    Any name ideas or ways to improve the ride?

• =)

I've still got mixed feelings about the land as a whole, since creating an entire land based on one not-(yet?)-classic movie that doesn't even take place in California seems a little odd for California Adventure. But I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, especially since the attractions sound like they could be quite enjoyable.

That being said...naming it Carsland is ridiculous. Radiator Springs indeed makes so much more sense, sounds better, and doesn't reek of "Hey, how about you go buy a Cars DVD the next chance you get!"

I have mixed feelings about this entire project.

#1, on a personal level, I found this film to be the weakest of the Pixar films. Sure, a weak Pixar film is still better than most films, but it just seems like a waste.

#2, Walt realized that lands were stronger with a bunch of little stories all working in the same theme and style instead of one story being spread too thin. This is one of the reasons the Dumbo Circus Land never came to fruition. Sure, a Dumbo darkride would be fun, and the spinner is classic, but you can't really do much more.

#3, as most of you have said, the bases have pretty much been coverered and there isn't a lot more you can add to the mix. That's a telling sign as you have an improved scrambler, bumpercars, and an E-ticket covering most possibilities for the land. Adventureland only consists of a few attractions, but that is due to space not lack of possibilities. Cars, the film, seems a little too specific for an entire land, especially as the film is set in a sleepy little town with little to do. That was the point of the film, that life is better when you slow down and take in the quiet and non-thrilling aspects of life instead of racing through it. A great message in film, but lackluster as an amuesment park land.

#4, Radiator Springs Racers. I am sure it will be a thrilling ride, but the concept seems weak. I am assuming the first 2/3 will be a darkride version of Cars and then the big race at the end of the attraction. Firstly, I think Disney's stronger darkrides don't have you ride through the film, they have you experience the same world as the film. Even Splash Mountain is more a journey into their world than riding through the film Song of the South. And while RSR may take the same approach, there doesn't seem to be much of a world for guests to explore and experience. The town is pretty much made up of a main street. Another issues with the concept is that Cars had very little external conflict, something most E-tickets need. Even the race at the end of the attraction is just a race, one that we can't effect ourselves.

I love the desert theme as I think that Condor Flats was built into a corner with no room to encompass the theme. I think Carsland would work much better as a desert themed area as apposed to an area based on a film. They could even keep the RSR attraction, but have other desert attractions to add to the area. While I'm stating the impossible, I would even love them to rebuild a larger Soarin' in the area, still themed to an old desert air base. The rebuilt theater could also be built larger to be able to handle the crowds DCA one day hopes to get. The capacity for the current attraction is painfully low for an "E-ticket" and more than apparant even with DCA dismal crowds. And for my last wish that will never occur, I'd venture as far to have RSR be themed to something with more adventure and conflict. Add an emotional thrill to the thrill of going really fast. I'd love for it to be an original attraction set in the California desert, but would even be happy with something based of the Rocketeer or even the National Treasure franchise where we are following clues to a California treasure. I know many of you groan at the thought, but I think that National Treasure might not have enough substance to make a film watchable, but if compacted into a 5-10 minute attraction, it could hold water.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I agree with you, Professor. A desert themed land would have worked better for variety... but.... even though Cars wasn't Pixar's greatest it was still greater than anything dreamworks has done... I still love it and enjoy it just the same. The only thing that really weirds me out is the fact that there's no people and that's probably why the movie doesn't resonate as well as the others.

So yah, I'm really torn. I'm generally against lands that revolve around one film (soon to be two). But I think Bug's Land had incredible potential. And from what I've seen about Carsland... I kinda like it!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• =)

Cars, the film, seems a little too specific for an entire land, especially as the film is set in a sleepy little town with little to do.
    I didn't even think about that a whole lot. Wow...you're so right.

• Senior Minion

Excellent post Prof, I agree with most of what you say as well. One good thing I think though is that as least there will be the framework of a cool desert land and what I think sounds like a cool E-ticket. Neither of the other attractions seem to offer much, so I wouldn’t be surprised if eventually the land will transform more in the direction we’d like to see and some of the Cars specific stuff will go away inevitably over time.

I don’t really have an issue with the RSR being themed to Cars. To me it doesn’t really matter if an attraction is based on a great movie or a very popular one as long as the way it’s translated makes for an interesting and fun attraction experience. Toad and Splash are both good examples. I believe that RSR will do this as long as they really dole out the dollars that have been proposed. I do have one concern about that attraction, just in terms of its footprint. It’s really huge, especially in a park that doesn’t have that much room to grow easily. I wish they would have tried to integrate another attraction into that space and I hope they design it so that could be possible in the future so they don’t repeat the mistakes they made with Grizzly Peak.
    -Walt Disney

speaking about that Uncle Bob, the attraction I mentioned above (since this is the Creating Carsland thread) would use much of the RSR area as part of its route. It anyone missed my ride description, here it is:

Quote Originally Posted by FutureImagineer View Post
    I was thinking of some rides for Carsland (which I am convinced should be called Radiator Springs) and I came up with this:
    howabout, a reincarnation of the original Ford Magic Skyway.
    Using the peoplemover technology, you ride in a old fashioned '50s style car around Carsland. This ride isn't exactly like the orginal skyway (plus name would be different) because you would ride around the desert scenery and receive some commentary thru the radio about car history and maybe the other attractions of the land. Also, there's old fashioned classic '50s music. Then later, you enter a show building, that is themed to a car assembly line. You get more commentary on the history of cars.

I believe this ride would be a good addition to Carsland. It's kind of a cross between the Ford Magic Skyway, the Peoplemover, and Autopia. I kind of thought this ride up really quickly and maybe a few possible names are Road Trip, Route 66 Road Trip, Route 66 Riders, or Road Trip Riders.

I'm not quite sure on the name, but how does the ride idea sound?
    Any name ideas or ways to improve the ride?
    The ride would make its way around the whole land; although the majority of it will take place among the scenery of RSR. I'm also trying to think of other rides that could be intergrated into the RSR area.

One thing, I just thought about that I kind of find funny and wasn't trying to do this purposely was that if my attraction was called Road Trip Riders (not my favorite name though) then Carsland would have an RSR and an RTR. Just found that kind of amusing. So anyways how does my ride sound?

• Senior Minion

FI-

I think the concept has some potential, but I would avoid going too much in the technilogy showcase type of idea. I would go more for a fun Sunday drive concept that could both tour the land and maybe have more of a fun theme than going to a factory. I like those types of old style disney attractions, but they just don't remain popular, and I'd rather see the ride somehow feel more tied to the feel of a 40-50's desert Route 66 roadstop.
    -Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I've still got mixed feelings about the land as a whole, since creating an entire land based on one not-(yet?)-classic movie that doesn't even take place in California seems a little odd for California Adventure. But I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt, especially since the attractions sound like they could be quite enjoyable.
    Not an entirely fair comment since Radiator Springs is based somewhat on Amboy, California, a town on Route 66 by-passed by the building of I-40, all in the Mojave Desert, I might add.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast