Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Creating Carsland

Since my “Creating a Victorian PP” thread has been so successful in getting so many MiceChatters to contribute great ideas. I thought it would be fun and interesting to start similar threads for the different lands of DCA.

Since I’m not personally in love with basing a land entirely on one movie, I picked Carsland next. I think RsR will be a great addition and I like the desert setting, but I personally think the land should be more focused on car culture in general. So what things do you think should be part of the new car/Cars themed land? What are the most important aspects of car culture that should be featured? What kind of attractions, shopping and dining experiences should be offered beyond those already announced?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

Re: Creating Carsland

I like what Disney has in store for Carsland (I hate the title of the place but that is what they have chosen). I think that a ride based on speed is key. Disney is building one.

The other idea I had was a restaurant, where you could "fill up at Flo's." Kids could order a can of oil which would be a chocolate shake. Rims would be onion rings. A cheese burger would be wheels. Fried chicken would be pistons. People will leave and say that got gas and all laugh.

It would be an indoor restaurant with lots of neon and 50's music going, lots of atmosphere.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

I think they already have a Flos restaurant planned. I would guess it will be very much along the lines you suggest.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Yup, most anything from the film is already being turned into something already. From Fillmore's and Lizzie's Curio shop, to the Cozy Cones... it's all coming. They even have the dine-in restaurant concept waiting to be made.

I'm trying to t hink of anything else but nothing is coming to mind at the moment. I think they really covered all the bases for once.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Senior Minion

Well, that wasn't too tough when all you have to do is copy things from one movie. There's a lot that does sound cool but there's a lot that I'm worried about. I think the Tow Mater ride is going to be a travesty that will be ripped out a few years after it goes in. I just can't understand locating a ride that's based on a junk yard right in the middle of the park.

I'd like to see some classic cars on display and some that you could ride in like the main street vehicles, I think that may already be coming too. I'd also like to see some attractions that are not Cars related. If they weren't putting Goofy in PP, I would love a ride based on the Goofy shorts with him driving like Motor Mania and Freeway Troubles. I've always loved when he's the overaggressive driver and gets road rage, it's hillarious. I also think that Herbie should somehow be represented in the land. It's just too iconic of a Disney character to be left out.
    -Walt Disney

• Missing an Angel

I just can't figure out why they chose the name "Carsland".
    Wouldn't Radiator Springs be more appropriate since basically they are putting everything from Radiator Springs there in the first place?

• Senior Minion

Yes, Radiator Springs would be a much better name. I agree, I can't imagine why they want to name it Carsland either, other then some marketing genius' are insisting that it needs to be named after the movies. The parks are going to continue to go downhill until they adopt the Pixar method of creative leadership. I hope that can happen.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator

The name is CARSland for one simple reason: marketing and synergy. They don't even want to try to explain to a guest who hasn't seen the movie where the land is or what it's about. I know, it's sad and disappointing when it comes down to it, but I wonder if this was a decision that came from Jay and not so much WDI.

• Senior Minion

Cohete-
    If you look closely, many of the graphics that WDI produced used the name Carland, so I think that's what they want to call it. With the way things have been going with TSMM, I'm starting to think that all the marketing will call it Carsland, and all the signage in the parks will call it Carland.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

How do they do it? I know I want to see one thing: neon. And lots of it. When the sun goes down, the place should look like the old Vegas Strip when it comes to the colorful neon we saw (masterfully) done in the movie.

And maybe a Ghost Light.

This will be an excellent opportunity for WDI to recreate some of that old Route 66 Kitsch that has faded away, and with today's gas prices, is in even more danger of extinction. Besides, it's fun!

If money is no object, then they should take the new TSMM Mr. Potato Head and the new Dr. Bunsen Honeydew technology a step further, and add in "Cars" characters/vehicles that were interactive with guests in a limited fashion. Imagine Luigi asking people if they'd seen a Ferrari...

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wotan View Post
    How do they do it? I know I want to see one thing: neon. And lots of it. When the sun goes down, the place should look like the old Vegas Strip when it comes to the colorful neon we saw (masterfully) done in the movie.

And maybe a Ghost Light.

This will be an excellent opportunity for WDI to recreate some of that old Route 66 Kitsch that has faded away, and with today's gas prices, is in even more danger of extinction. Besides, it's fun!

If money is no object, then they should take the new TSMM Mr. Potato Head and the new Dr. Bunsen Honeydew technology a step further, and add in "Cars" characters/vehicles that were interactive with guests in a limited fashion. Imagine Luigi asking people if they'd seen a Ferrari...
    I believe just about everything you said is already going to be done. Like Cohete said, they've thought of everything you could want from the movie.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Cohete-
    If you look closely, many of the graphics that WDI produced used the name Carland, so I think that's what they want to call it. With the way things have been going with TSMM, I'm starting to think that all the marketing will call it Carsland, and all the signage in the parks will call it Carland.

Yah, that's true. It could also just be a temporary name they write on, which does happen quite frequently. A temporary title that will get changed later. I mean, it essentially IS just a CARS land. There's absolutely nothing else in it that would conflict with it.

Splash Mountain was originally gonna be Zip-a-dee-doo-dah Falls or something like that. :::shudders:::

Oh well... I guess the name is Carsland simply because there isn't anything else other than what's from the film. When people see the signage that resembles the film, they'll immediately know it. The film made what, $460 million world wide.... but in merchandise and retail it has made $5 billion!! (source NYtimes). That's insane. It's no wonder they want to use the 'CARS' brand.

Quick note, as far as i know and from what i have been told "Carland" is just a working title.

The final name of the land is still not set "Route 66" or "Radiator Springs" are two of several names under consideration.

Remember Toys Story Mania is just a marketing name WDI gave the attraction its real name "Toys Story Midway Mania" which is being used within the parks.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-05-2008 at 09:12 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation!

• I'm not really here

That is good news as I'm not in love with the name Carsland. Radiator Springs would make much more sense as that is where these things are located.

I thought Al had mentioned that the restaurant was going on the burner for a while since they have kept increasing the budget of RsR as they plus the heck out of it. It seems that it will get built, just not in the first wave of construction on this land.

I think the junkyard theme of the Mater attraction will be awesome. Since it is a part of their city and where he works/lives it will be an integral part of things. It will work amazingly well if Disney will simply remember that themeing so over the top that it is no longer over the top is the key to making these things work.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast