Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

"Un-Official Days at Disneyland"

We have all heard of these un-official events at Disneyland. For example, Gay Day, Star Wars Day, Black Widow Day, etc.

Why does Disneyland pretend they don't know what is going on when it is so obvious?

What is the history behind all these un-official events?

How do you feel about these events?
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Re: "Un-Official Days at Disneyland"

Disneyland doesn't pretend not to know about them.

Disneyland doesn't schedule or sponsor them. If an outside group decides that they all want to come to the park on the same day, then they can. If it becomes such a big annual gathering that it will effect park ops, we try to get as much information as we can on the "event" and answer any questions for anyone who may be interested. If you called the park and had a question about "bats day", I would tell you that it's an outside group that plans the event, and that, according to their website, this will be the 10th anniversary and it will be held November 8th & 9th. Then I would tell you that since it's not an event sponsored by Disney, to check their website for more info on it.

As for people who don't like the fact that these events exist (as in the ignorant ones who call in ranting about "why we let all those gays in".), I ask you this: if a group of 1000 Jewish people all wanted to come to Disneyland on the same day, should I tell them no? How about 1000 MiceChatters? Disneyland has a very clear non-discrimination policy. Disneyland is for EVERYONE. I think of "gay days" and "bats day" and all the other days almost as if it's just another "family trip to Disneyland", but with a ridiculously large family. They still just want to ride rides, eat churros and watch fireworks.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• I'm not really here

I don't see how anyone could have a problem with these unnoficial "meets" as they are no different from a MiceChat meet. Sure, they may have more people that your typical MiceChat meet, but people are people. Be they there for Bats Day, or Gay Days. I may not personally agree with their lifestyles, but I respect their right to live their lifestyle. And they don't push theirs on me, so I'm more than willing to not push mine on them. Besides, they have just as much right to enjoy Disneyland as I do. "Disneyland is your land" Walt said. He gave it to the world and everyone in it.

Besides, on any given day, the number of people that belong to these groups that are already in the park is probably pretty close to the same as on a "special" day. They just are more conspicuous on their special day as they tend to dress in their style of clothing. I highly doubt the numbers are significantly hugely different.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by WheresMickey View Post
    We have all heard of these un-official events at Disneyland. For example, Gay Day, Star Wars Day, Black Widow Day, etc.

Why does Disneyland pretend they don't know what is going on when it is so obvious?

IMO, truth be told it isn't obvious as to what's going on. Or at least it shouldn't be, because although they dress differently for the most part these people act very well behaved when they are in the parks.

I would have no problem taking my kid to the parks on one of these days.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • .-- . .-.. -.-. --- -- .

They don't as was already said. At the MC Third Anniversary and Gumball Rally 2 this year, from what I understand, MC was mentioned in the CM dailies (or whatever they are called.) I'd bet that when Disney knows any large group is showing up they try to educate the CM so they can answer questions.

Don't know, friends with a common interested that decide to get together and hang out at a fun place like DisneyLand.

The same way RumRunner31 does. If a 1000 people want to come as a group and the park isn't at capacity why not let them in? Heck, if a 1000 people showed up at my business wanting work done I wouldn't turn them away. I don't care if they are gay, jewish, black or whatever as long as they are paying with cash, I'll take their money. Greed is color-blind.

Now am I reading you wrong or is what you're kind of asking (reading between the lines) why doesn't Disney sponsor these groups? Let's say they sponsor MC's next Anniversary. Well then when another Disney board group approachs they are kind of obliged to sponsor them too. If they sponsor Gay Days then when the anti-gay group will want sponsorship too. Bang for the buck, it doesn't do them any good.
    Stalking is when two people go for a long romantic walk together but only one of them knows about it.

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

Do you think that Disney should let people know about these events, so the public can and might expect a larger crowd then usual?
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Circle of Ancients

It's no different than any other convention that may be in town and creating higher crowds in the park. Disneyland doesn't care how you get there, or why your there, as long as your there.

• potterday.org

Do you think that Disney should let people know about these events, so the public can and might expect a larger crowd then usual?
    If they do that it would appear to those who object to these events that Disney is condoning them, or worse, promoting. I think they've handled these events just fine. Let guests do what they want. We have the right to peaceably assemble in this country.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

With Disney being a large corporation, you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Someone's going to be angry, upset, disappointed one way or another. As you get older you realize that ignorance is truly bliss and Disney will continue to play ignorant in these situations. IMO it is the right move.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Can someone explain to me what Bats Day is? Do people dress up like bats and vampires?

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Can someone explain to me what Bats Day is? Do people dress up like bats and vampires?
    Goth people dressing up dark. It should be more fun this year because it's not in late August, the hottest possible time of the year.

• Rock Star Minion

I think we do a good enough job of this. Using the common defense of FastPass, if those guests don't read up on their trip to Disneyland, including free advice on MiceChat, then too bad for them.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Goth people dressing up dark. It should be more fun this year because it's not in late August, the hottest possible time of the year.
    But the bats and vampires shouldn't show up until after sunset, right?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    But the bats and vampires shouldn't show up until after sunset, right?
    Very true.

That is when Happy Haunts materialize and begin to vocalize.

• my favorite sociopath

Ok, now what is Black Widow day or as a single guy do I "don't want to know about it"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast