Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney Dream, Disneyland 2025, part 1.

Fantastic imagineering, my friend; but a touch over the top. The 'infrastructure' you are putting underground for Narnia...happens to hold the fireworks shooting area, and to some degree the fallout. Hoping for audio-animatronic, fallout-less fireworks in the future? Or maybe fiber optics?

• ROFLCOPTER

Great Post.. though your counting on the Narnia movie to be a classic and a smash-hit. If it bombs, well, too bad..
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

Great post - I can already picture myself buying tickets while riding the tram.

As a general comment to expansion in the park, Space Mountain is a very big building and the space between it and Main Street seems necessary to keep the scale of Main Street in tact. I would suspect that any expansion east of MS would need to be done ala the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace (faux outdoors). There is not much room west of MS, as Jungle Cruise is just behind the shops.

So much 'infrastructure' seems to be impractical to go underground. What about the parade buildings and Circle D?

I like how Narnia doesn't try to connect Critter Country with Fantasyland and I love the hydrogen fuel cell autopia

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Brer Bear
    Fantastic imagineering, my friend; but a touch over the top. The 'infrastructure' you are putting underground for Narnia...happens to hold the fireworks shooting area, and to some degree the fallout. Hoping for audio-animatronic, fallout-less fireworks in the future? Or maybe fiber optics?
    You know, when it comes to the fireworks, I'm not sure. That would definitely be a welcome challenge.

I do question the importance of that location for the fireworks in the modern era though. The fireworks used now are of a much lower nature, and as often as possible cleaner burning than before.

To supplant this need and open it up a bit, you could keep fireworks low, and tap higher fire works to go over Rivers of America, Jungle Cruise, IASW building, and Space Mountain itself.

It's not a complete answer, I know, but I do believe the fireworks could continue to be a punctuation to the evening and allow for a greater expansion of the best park in the world.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Goofy
    Great Post.. though your counting on the Narnia movie to be a classic and a smash-hit. If it bombs, well, too bad..
    To a degree, yes I am. Fact is, it's long overdue and it's one of the few series out there that's lived for 50 years and is still regularly read. It has a wide appeal, it's been given a good solid budget and looks great. But you're right, there is no guarantee in this at all. Should the Narnia movies not work out, this would obviously necessitate a re-evaluation of the land to be added.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TSI-Anaheim
    Great post - I can already picture myself buying tickets while riding the tram.

As a general comment to expansion in the park, Space Mountain is a very big building and the space between it and Main Street seems necessary to keep the scale of Main Street in tact. I would suspect that any expansion east of MS would need to be done ala the Forum Shops at Caesar's Palace (faux outdoors). There is not much room west of MS, as Jungle Cruise is just behind the shops.

So much 'infrastructure' seems to be impractical to go underground. What about the parade buildings and Circle D?

I like how Narnia doesn't try to connect Critter Country with Fantasyland and I love the hydrogen fuel cell autopia
    Thank you for the comments-

It is a big building, but take a look here-

You can see (though they blank it out) that there is quite a bit of space here that could go to this expansion. You can even see that there is quite a bit of space (though much smaller) -- enough for lockers in the area behind the W. Side of Main Street and before the Jungle Cruise.

While it seems impractical, Disneyland has some of the most valuable square footage in the world. It's clearly inefficient not to use every inch possible to entertain and attract customers. To answer your question about the Parade Buildings, just look to Downtown Disney. The size of that garage underneath it's 'grounds' is immense, and easily duplicated. Parades could be housed very easily beneath the ground. And they'd suffer less from the elements than they currently often do.

Circle D would of course have to be kept above ground. Most likely it would need to be moved to where current employee parking is near the back edge of the property. It's not a great solution, but it's needed. Uner the worst case scenario, they'd be housed above a combined space. I would ensure that they keep the same standards and scope of space for the horses.

Thanks for the comment on not connecting Critter Country and Narnia. I believe that would be a mistake. The train is what pulls Disneyland together as a coherent piece. The park is meant to amble, and to allow people to always choose what works for them at a moment. Besides, I think other ways to get across between areas that are non-intrusive are best.

• No longer on the darkside

Love your post, you have some great ideas. My only problem with it is that 2025 is only 20 years from now, and I'm unsure that such huge changes could be made by Disney, no matter who's at the helm.

It is a nice dream though, and a great read.

For some reason, MOVE hit me as a great ride. It combines the original "meta-theming" of Tomorrowland with a timeless message about the future. And, it could be updated!

• CM for 4 years!

Honestly... having walked along the west side of Main Street, there is NO ROOM FOR ANYTHING. There is barely room to walk past certain areas. You have to balance yourself between spider-infested and rusted cast lockers and the maintenance docks for the Jungle Cruise. There is no room here. I am not saying this to be argumentative, there is just not.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

Melmel, either way, it's the smallest of points. But thank you for correcting me. By the way, cobwebs? You should talk to someone about that.

My main point though, is though I'd have CMs walking more stairs, their facilities would be improved.

• Minion

Cthulhul, thank you for your compliment on 'MOVE', you saw exactly what I was going for, and that's appreciated. The truth is, for me, timeless isn't hard, you just have to think about what will always interest people. Seeing where we were and where we can go with the simple concept of 'MOVE' is just fun, and to a certain degree teaches, which I believe is when Disney's at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySavor
    You can see (though they blank it out) that there is quite a bit of space here that could go to this expansion.
    I'm not doubting the physical space between Main Street and Space Mountain - my comment was more about the grand scale and height of SM. Edison Square would be dwarfed and literally in the shadow of SM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12