Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

Haunted Mansion Hope

I am likely going to do a combined TR but I did not want this to get buried, and if I did not get around to doing the TR then I wanted to make sure this part was posted. Some of the MC's who attended the Meet almost a month ago (wow has it been that long) will tell you that I have a 4 year old who is scared of Haunted Mansion. Somehow we managed to talk her into riding with everyone at the Meet. She isn't afraid of the whole thing, just the opening in the elevator. It didn't help that a bunch of teens had decided to scream in the moment the lights went out...

So last night we made yet another attempt at riding Mansion. We've tried several times since the Meet, each time the same routine plays out. We get through the line, sometimes we even make it into the foyer, once the elevator opens she completely freaks out and starts screaming. I can't get her near the door of the elevator, not that I would want to. I am one of those parents who refuse to force a child on a ride, even if I know for certain they will eventually like it. So each time we just turned around, and left Mansion behind us.

Ok back to last night. Same routine, in the foyer she is a bit scared but doing ok, doors open and she screams and cries, we begin to leave. I happened to strike up a conversation with a CM, and asked if there was another way of possibly seeing Mansion because it was just the elevator that she was afraid of. The CM smiled, and asked us to wait as she made a phone call. Now outside, my daughter is crying hysterically, terrified that we may try and get her to go back in. Pretty soon the Lead comes out. I am not sure if he really wanted to do this or not (I overheard a comment directed at the greeter), but when he saw my little girl he changed his mind and smiled. He bent down, asked her name, and told her he knew a secret way in with no elevators. She smiled... through all the tears and screams she smiled... and he led us through the evac and down into the hall.

We knew once we were past the elevator we would be fine, as I said she loves the rest of the attraction. In fact she had so much fun, later that evening she took my hand and led the way to Mansion. She was so proud, and said she would be brave in the elevator. My wife and I were in the park again this evening, and we left a compliment for both CM's. If either of them happen to lurk on here please know that our 4 year old is still scared of Mansion, but she had so much fun. Thanks to your kindness a little girl faced her fears to have a bit of fun. Thank You
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• =)

Re: Haunted Mansion Hope

Awww, I'm glad to hear it worked out for y'all.

• Senior Minion

That's a really cool story, thanks for sharing it.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing it with us, Tech!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

The CMs at the HM are 2nd to none. Always have a great experience with the people there.

• Queen of Sarcasm

It is moments like this which should make people reconsider some of the negative things they say about CMs. Steve is such a nice guy. Some people really go out of their way to make sure you have a nice day.

• Nill

My mom is claustrophobic, so she absolutely hates any elevator, or any room with "NO WINDOWS AND NO DOORS!" Of course, she is usually fine on the rest of the ride....as long as it doesn't stop. Then she'll freak out. Anyways, when we go on it with her, we'll go through the evac so she can bypass the elevator.

She is an extreme claustrophobic though, and she even starts having an "outbreak" if the boats stop moving in IASW....and we all know how that had been increasing up to the start of the refurb.

Anyways, thats great to hear that your little girl got such great service! Its always nice to hear what goes good at the park...as a large amount of posts here are the opposite....

Yea I agree; I think the CM's in the mansion are among the best in the park; mostly in character and always accommodating!

• =)

She is an extreme claustrophobic though, and she even starts having an "outbreak" if the boats stop moving in IASW.
    But it's a huge building! (Not at all trying to put down or belittle irrational fears--I've had a few of my own in the past, and they're truly bizarre and serious experiences.)

• Nill

When she can't get out (or can't be in control as I see it), she just goes nuts. She also hates it because she is in there with other people. And that one statement by the ghost host makes sure that she will have a fit.

For IASW, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for her to get out of the boat....it hasn't happened yet to my knowledge, but I'm sure its a possibility. In fact, last time I went with here she started having fits while we were watching the boats bottom out while we were waiting in line.

To put it in a little more perspective, she won't go into parking structures that are underground, no matter how big. Its a wonder that she can get on airplanes, but it isn't easy. Although typically a few drinks helps her with that, along with the business class seats. It really seems that her case is more out of a lack of control over her environment. If she cant control the locks, doors, windows, then all hell breaks loose.

• Lackey

Great to hear. Thanks for posting some positive stuff that happened.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Aww, that's really sweet. See, now isn't that what makes those Disneyland attractions great? They're stepping stones to push ourselves into a direction we didn't think we were capable of going. And once you get past that wall, the wall is gone for life!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• On A Disney World Tour...

Those touching human moments are unique, another great Disneyland memory for your daughter to remember. So many more are gonna come !
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I was another one that was afraid of HM when I was little. It wasn't the elevator or the walk through (idiots oops I mean guests didn't scream 39 years ago). It was a majority of the ride portion that freaked me out. Especially the attic and graveyard. It was so bad I had to sleep with my light on for a year, and after that I would ride HM but with my eyes shut and my ears plugged. Oddly I was never afraid of the HHG's and would watch that. I always thought that was fun. Go figure.

Anyway my parents were determined to cure my "HM phobia". And nothing worked. After we moved to Orange County in 1972, my parents joined a club through their church and became freinds with a man who actually worked on the air conditioning system on the ride. He was a good freind and he and his wife would come over for dinner often so I was able to trust him. My mom suggested that he and I go to DL and ride HM together. When we did he told me how everything worked as we were riding past it and that it was all fake. And that is just what did the trick. Now it's my favorite ride!

Now that I'm 39 I realize all this guy did was install the air conditioning -- he said he watched them put the whole ride together which I know now is probably an exaggerqation. And much of what he told me I am sure was an educated guess. But my parents were lucky to have met him. There was no internet in 1972 and Disney was tightlipped about revealing any secrets. So you are very lucky Techskip -- what that CM did for you was nice. And that would never have happened when I was a kid.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Thank you, TechSkip for paying that CM the complement at City Hall. In today's day and age, we tend to get caught up in the negativity of the moment and forget, there are still wonderful people in the world, both inside and outside of Disney.

You rock, HM rocks and the CMs rock.

And your daughter rocks most of all! She's growin' up before your very eyes. Soon she won't be scared to parallel park downtown or walk down to get her diploma.

Relish these moments. Enjoy being.

Peace!
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast