Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Have you guys been to any park that wasnt owned by Disney?

Yes - - and Universal's Islands of Adventure in Orlando is everything a modern Disney park should be - - and isn't. Wonderful theming and design, imaginative rides and restaurants... the best and most technologically immersive theme park attraction (Spider-Man) since Disney's glory days. Even after 10 years, Disney has done nothing to top Spider-Man.

IOA cemented my complete dismissal of DCA.

DCA is a fine park.

I have been to Disneyland, DCA, Paramount's Great America, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Gilroy Gardens, and my local fair.

DCA rates third in this list; the top three being Disneyland, Busch, and then DCA
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    If not, that perfectly explains your hatred for DCA.

If you have, your claims that "the park shouldnt be taken seriously" or "it suckz lol" are ridiculous. No need to give me your long winded cynical explinations, its just overdone and really tiresome.

The park isnt masterful, but to call it terrible is absurd.
    It's a nice "little" park. Problem is it wasn't supposed to be. That's why they are fixing it.

I have been to plenty of other parks. If I were to compare it to my local park here in Santa Clara CA, Great America, Great America would beat it into the ground. It has a whole water park INSIDE the main park. Every year they add a new thrill ride. It's worth it to buy a season pass. Not sure if DCA were to stand alone it could make it alone.
    Janette

I like DCA. And I like Knott's, Universal, Sea World, and Legoland. And honestly, I can't decide which one I like best from amongst those. Do I like DCA better than Knott's? Better than Universal? I can't decide. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, all are less than they could be (or for KBF or USH, used to be), and all pale in comparison to Disneyland, but all can provide an afternoon of fun.

But that's what's known as "damning with faint praise." DCA is no worse than Knott's or USH in my opinion. But, since DCA is from Disney, I would have expected better. DCA is cleaner, yes, but that's not a major indicator of "fun," or else we'd all be hanging around in hospitals for kicks.

Others bash the hell out of the other parks without people complaining about that. I disagree, but they're just expressing their opinion, after all. Why is DCA the only park that some here don't think that anyone has any right to think is terrible? People like what they like and dislike what they dislike. It doesn't mean that anything's wrong with them.

Okay, imagine if Gusteau's, the restaurant in Ratatouille, had opened a second restaurant, Gusteau's French Adventure. (Yes, I remember how things end in the movie, just go with me on this one, just for the sake of metaphor.) Only the menu at the new restaurant turned out to be extremely limited, with only a small number of entrees that were really good, and many that were either downright terrible or were basically identical to what you find at practically every other restaurant. Many fans of Gusteau's original restaurant would concentrate on the small number of good, original menu items and declare it to be an absolutely fantastic new restaurant, while many others would be terribly disappointed and refuse to come back, while others would have an opinion in between. Who's right? Everyone. But to say that anyone who's ever been to any greasy spoon diner has no right to give a bad review to GFA misses the point that GFA is SUPPOSED to be better than any greasy spoon, and if a large number of people think isn't, something's wrong with the restaurant, not the critics. You're never going to please everyone, but having a quality name attached SHOULD mean that you please a higher percentage of diners than other, average restaurants. But as there's also nothing wrong with people loving the restaurant, even when others hate it, so there's also nothing wrong with people hating it although others love it. It's never going to be black and white, with 100% hating or loving it, but the point is to try to have a lighter shade of gray overall than lesser establishments.

•   
    • Delawarean Girl

I have been to Philadelphia theme parks, if that counts.

I have been to Dutch Wonderland, Hershey Park, & Dorney Park. Oh and one in VA called Kings Diminion. But I don't really remember Kings Diminion too well. I was very little to remember only bits and pieces of it.

• TR2N. Are You Ready?

when I was younger I always thought that DCA was the best park in the world. But last summer when I went to Disneyland with my dad, that all changed in a matter of 3 hours. When we went to DCA, we finished riding everything in like 2 hours. And then we were just standing there like uhhh whats next? Then we went to disneyland. We couldnt even finish Disneyland in 1 day! So now I know that Disneyland is way better.

I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

DCA is getting better, and...dare i say it? I like DCA too.

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

I like DCA, I just don't love it. Maybe in the future after all the improvements in the next phase are complete. I'm hopeful!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Disney/WWE/Anime fan

yeah,
    Sea world,Knotts, and the small Balboa Park right next to the San diego zoo( if that counts lol)

DCA seems to be doing better, I may have a different opinion than what I posted 3 months ago when i go back soon

• Imagineer In Training

80.7 miles from the happiest place on earth.

Yes, I've been to other parks. Sea World SD, Legoland, Knotts, USH, kings Island Hershey Park, and a few other local ones. And ChurroMan, I agree. The bashing is a bit overdone. I'll admit, DCA has some problems, but I still love the park. I think that it provides a nice foil to DL, and with all the new attractions and theming, I think it will become a crown jewel in Disney's Crown. And DCA is doing very well for what it is now. It got the 13th most attendance of any park in the WORLD last year. And with the new expansion, I wouldn't be surprised to see it move up among the other WDW parks.

The list from http://www.themeparkinsider.com for the 20 most visited theme parks from across the globe:

1. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom
    2. Disneyland
    3. Tokyo Disneyland
    4. Tokyo DisneySea
    5. Disneyland Paris
    6. Epcot
    7. Disney's Hollywood Studios
    8. Disney's Animal Kingdom
    9. Universal Studios Japan
    10. Everland (South Korea)
    11. Universal Studios Florida
    12. SeaWorld Orlando
    13. Disney's California Adventure
    14. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
    15. Universal's Islands of Adventure
    16. Ocean Park (Hong Kong)
    17. Hakkeijima Sea Paradise (Japan)
    18. Universal Studios Hollywood
    19. Busch Gardens Africa
    20. SeaWorld San Diego

• Senior Minion

There are several things that I want to say in regard to this thread. Comparing DCA to other parks can be done in two ways, using completely ones personal opinion, or a more intellectual analysis. Obviously, this is the case with regard to analysis of DCA in general. In some ways the very nature of comparing DCA to other non-Disney parks is somewhat fallacious, but I will discuss that later. Since that was the more the evidence for the belief that there is too much DCA bashing that goes on. Which seems to be the main assertion of the OP.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP somewhat, that there is too much DCA bashing on Micechat. There is a lot of just stupid, endless bashing based on personal opinion, with little intellectual defense of the positions offered, and basically just making fun of the park. However, it depends on your interpretation of discussions and the nature of the discussions about DCA, to whether or not it is DCA bashing. Some might see me as a DCA basher, but in many ways I do like the park. It just depends on what perspective you’re looking at it from. It also depends on why you even enjoy chatting on MC.

There are many obvious flaws about DCA, and to discuss them in an analytical way is not DCA bashing, and is an important and interesting discussion. Personally, as a designer, I find it fascinating to discuss the failings of DCA in this manner, as to better understand how to successfully design themed spaces and create places that people enjoy. There are many other people who also are interested in this discussion.

There are also many people who are just fans and enjoy talking about their personal opinions. I am also one of those people, and I’m not demeaning those people. It’s just that I think many people both come to the defense of, and bash DCA, because of their personal opinions, when others are not blindly bashing, but actually offering keen insight into why the park is failing. The blind bashing is getting old, but discussions of what is failing and how things can be improved, are incredibly important discussions.

Now back to the OP and the assertion that DCA is not bad a compared to other parks. As I said, this is a somewhat misleading idea. It’s something that you can do if you chose to, but if it ends up being based on personal opinion, not much can really be concluded. The OP asserts that if you’re been to other parks, your obvious conclusion will be that DCA is a pretty good park. I’m not sure that this is so obvious.

I question whether this is really a comparison that makes any sense to even make. I believe that every park has to be looked at in terms of what it is trying to accomplish and in context. DCA is not a stand-alone park. Comparing it to regional stand-alone amusement parks says little about DCA in its context, which is totally different.

DCA must be analyzed in its context. It is a second gate at a Disney park, transforming into a resort, in a location in which the Disney brand has represented a certain highly recognized product for over fifty years, and in which they face a lot of competition for recreation dollars. All these complex issues come into whether or not DCA is a good or successful park. In many ways DCA has been successful in accomplishing its goals and in many ways it has failed. This is a complex and important discussion that should go on but offering up your opinion of DCA vs other parks does little to prove anything.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I do not by this, i believe its a park in its own right and has exactly the quality disney has. I think its so clean, well managed, the rides are awsome, shows are great, and I love how much there really is to do there. maybe its b cause I am from out of State, but I do believe when you measure this park against Deisneyland there is to much comparing. DCA is awsome, i will always know this in my heart. and in fact I run to DcA when I get to California long before I hit disneyland.
    I could not disagree with you on Knott's more. Maybe it's because you never saw it when it was great, but as clean as Disney? Same quality as Disney? REALLY!?!?!

I've been to more non-Disney parks than Disney parks.

7 different 6 flags
    3 different Universal
    Hersheypark
    Knoebels
    Knott's
    Sea World San Diego
    Dorney Park
    Bonfante Gardens
    Great Adventure
    and more

And right now, I'd rank Knott's (and Dorney since it's also Cedar Fair) at the bottom of that.

• Official Mice Chat person

Quote Originally Posted by tllsknywhtboy View Post
    Yes, I've been to other parks. Sea World SD, Legoland, Knotts, USH, kings Island Hershey Park, and a few other local ones. And ChurroMan, I agree. The bashing is a bit overdone. I'll admit, DCA has some problems, but I still love the park. I think that it provides a nice foil to DL, and with all the new attractions and theming, I think it will become a crown jewel in Disney's Crown. And DCA is doing very well for what it is now. It got the 13th most attendance of any park in the WORLD last year. And with the new expansion, I wouldn't be surprised to see it move up among the other WDW parks.

The list from http://www.themeparkinsider.com for the 20 most visited theme parks from across the globe:

1. Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom
    2. Disneyland
    3. Tokyo Disneyland
    4. Tokyo DisneySea
    5. Disneyland Paris
    6. Epcot
    7. Disney's Hollywood Studios
    8. Disney's Animal Kingdom
    9. Universal Studios Japan
    10. Everland (South Korea)
    11. Universal Studios Florida
    12. SeaWorld Orlando
    13. Disney's California Adventure
    14. Blackpool Pleasure Beach
    15. Universal's Islands of Adventure
    16. Ocean Park (Hong Kong)
    17. Hakkeijima Sea Paradise (Japan)
    18. Universal Studios Hollywood
    19. Busch Gardens Africa
    20. SeaWorld San Diego
    That's a pretty awesome list... Disney holds the top 8 positions! Impressive.

DCA beats out it's direct competition, like SeaWorld CA and Universal Hollywood. And it even beats Universal FL's 2nd gate, Islands of Adventure.

HK DL and DL Paris's 2nd gate aren't even on the list.

• Leaping Into The Abyss

I like DCA. You know for sure it will not be as crowded as DL and it's so much fun. Remember Marineland? Loved that. Some of Pirates was filmed right there.
    Spyed the Black Pearl from Cabrillo Beach

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    I do not by this, i believe its a park in its own right and has exactly the quality disney has. I think its so clean, well managed, the rides are awsome, shows are great, and I love how much there really is to do there. maybe its b cause I am from out of State, but I do believe when you measure this park against Deisneyland there is to much comparing. DCA is awsome, i will always know this in my heart. and in fact I run to DcA when I get to California long before I hit disneyland.
    Disneyland, and the Disney brand are specific to kids. Their primary market demographic, dare I say their very existence, is due to their name brand recognition, logo recognition, and character recognition among the youngest of the American, and in some cases Global market. California Adventure was designed specifically to cater to the teen and young adult audience. Kids... little ones... were an after thought. Those decisions in planning have caused more bad press, and cost the company more in lost attendance, then any single ride failure. Even now I can walk through Condor Flats right up to Paradise Pier... My little ones can go to Redwood Creek, the Sun Wheel, and the carousel without a height check! 3 "lands" and out of all of it they can ride 3 attractions. People scoff at Bugsland, but without it little ones are left with what I previously mentioned as well as Golden Dreams, Muppetvision, and Monsters Inc. For shows you have Playhouse Disney and Turtle Talk. For a "Disney" park they definately neglected their most important demographic. If the kids can't ride anything close, the parents and older siblings won't bother to stick around long enough to riding anything. That was my point. It could be the cleanest park in the world, but if my kids can't ride anything who cares?

The second issue is that there are more places to eat and shop, then there are actual Attractions. There are more empty buildings, and storefront facades... overall there is so much space and really not a lot there. By comparison Disneyland is like New York... so full of attractions and life that they had to literally shoehorn Indy in! People expect a lot when they pay a premium for an entrance fee. Disneyland is easily a full day. Even on it's most crowded days, DCA is a half to three quarter day at most.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast