Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• ...lurks...

Re: Have you guys been to any park that wasnt owned by Disney?

To answer the question, yes. Do I like some of them, yes, but not all of them.
    Are they better than DCA?, yes, some of them. Do I hate DCA?, no...not entirely.

To each their own, and just because the park is owned by 'Disney', doesn't make it automatically great, or horrid. In DCA's case, the crowd is clearly mixed....

When at the parks, I spend 90% of my time in Disneyland, and if for whatever reason I choose to go to DCA, it's the remaining 10% of my time. It has the potential for greatness, but that potential has not been realized by the people who are in charge and can begin the work to make it such.

If the toy story ride is any indication of what quality we should expect from the re-vamp of the park - God help us all.
    Last edited by shadow; 06-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55 View Post
    That's a pretty awesome list... Disney holds the top 8 positions! Impressive.

DCA beats out it's direct competition, like SeaWorld CA and Universal Hollywood. And it even beats Universal FL's 2nd gate, Islands of Adventure.

HK DL and DL Paris's 2nd gate aren't even on the list.
    I disagree about Islands of Adventure. It has quite possibly the best ride EVER in Spiderman (only FL's Tower of Terror comes close IMO). Great coasters in Hulk and Dueling Dragons. Jurassic Park. A Great log ride. Great dining.

I like DCA, but both Universal parks in FL have it trumped without question. I'll give you Sea World San Diego and Universal Hollywood though.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I enjoy DCA, for me it's not worth an ENTIRE day but a few hours soaking in scenery and riding Soarin' Over CA along with the Grizzley River Rapids a few times is wonderful.
    If people would compare places like Six Flags to DCA they would respect the fact that Disney actually has "cleanliness" standards.
    I agree with aashee:
    I'm not sure what's more tired. DCA bashing or people bashing those who bash DCA. It's all negative, choose you poison I guess.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by PretzelSouls View Post
    If people would compare places like Six Flags to DCA they would respect the fact that Disney actually has "cleanliness" standards.
    After my most recent visit to Knott's I am actually fearful of how much Six Flags has changed since I was last there... I know Knott's has definitely changed.

While I can sometimes be counted on to bash DCA, I really think the problem lies in the layout more then anything else. I agree that it needs more family oriented attractions without height checks. I agree that there are too many food locations and gift shops, and not enough attractions. Most of all I question the decision to build so many "fillers" empty buildings, or building facades. So much "empty space" gives the impression of a park that offers more then it actually has. It doesn't need to be like Disneyland where everything is packed on top of each other... but a theme park actually having multiple attractions per land should be a standard, not an option.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

I have been to several parks that weren't own by Disney and they are pretty much all better than DCA. USF, IOA, Busch Gardens Africa and Europe, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Six Flags over Texas, Knott's Berry Farms, Sea World Orlando and San Diego, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags over Georgia, and Knott's are all better than DCA to various degrees.

In Sleeping Beauty Castle's Darkest Chamber

For the most part, Disney does do an outstanding job maintaining its parks, especially Disneyland (just minus the 1998-2003ish "bad maintenance" period). Although I am grateful for Disney keeping the park up to such high standards, I really don't expect anything less from them when it costs a person easily a 100 dollars (if not more) to visit and enjoy the park for a day.

Having been to Six Flags, I can say with a clear conscience that the maintenance and cleaning standards of the two parks (Disneyland vs. Magic Mountain) are in two total different leagues completely. Six Flags, from its parking lot to its coasters, was filthy and disgusting, literally... also let's not mention the themes inside are minimal at best. Hopefully, with Six Flag's new focus upon families, maybe their current park can turn into something that can rival, to its best, Knott's.

Sadly, on the mention of Knott's, that park has been slipping in its standards ever since Cedar Fair took over a few years ago They have ruined the atmosphere of the west side of the park (Ghost Town, lake and the Indian sections) by building Silver Bullet - which isn't that great of a coaster anyway; it also ruined the simple beauty of the lake and took out a nice boat ride. And with the opening of Pony Express, I can't imagine how much more atmosphere has been taken away in that section. Sometimes simple beauty is the best for a park, not a one-minute (if not less) roller coaster ride.

I can say with a smile that I know Disney will never do something so stupid as to build a coaster above the streets of NOS titled as "Hitch man's Express." Sometimes, if not always, tranquility and theme is the best way to go for a "theme" park. That's why Disneyland is so successful and why I continue to make repeat visits each year - it has the perfect mix of rides (which for the most part are excellently themed) and beautiful theming which makes you forget about lifes' troubles for awhile. It's unfortunate Knott's seems to be focusing more now on rides while tossing theme to the back burner in the process.

Anyways, back on topic, I would have to say that Knott's (around the time Ghost Rider opened) was on a competing level with Disney - it was just a fun park, and had fun little areas without coasters breaking it up.

Sea World is also a nicely done park; however its purpose is much more different than Disneyland's.

In conclusion: Disneyland, BY FAR, has the best maintenance standards (since the refurbishments of 2004 and 2005) I have ever witnessed in regards to a theme park.

PS:

Oh, and as for DCA, unfortunately it's a pretty weak park in regards to overall theme, but I think it has the potential to be something really great in the next few years. Its maintenance has been pretty top notch like with her sister Disneyland (just not as great a park).

CHECK OUT MY NEW MUSIC LOOP THAT I DESIGNED
    FOR AUTUMN TIME AT DISNEYLAND!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL6fk6Ua54k

With kindest regards,
    Maleficent Fan

disneymusicsamples | magicmusic.net

Non Disney parks I've been to include

Silverwood (locals park, up in Idaho I live in Washington so yeah)
    Seaworld (San Diego)
    Six Flags Magic Mountain
    Universal Studios Hollywood

I know there's at least one or two more but they don't come to mind

as for Disney parks I've been to DL and DCA of course and all of WDW.

I'm going to say DCA gets alot more flack then it really deserves from most people (at least in my opinion). I really feel it's an expectations like thing.

Counter to what alot of people on this board seem to think DCA doesn't really refelct poorly vs WDW parks at all and it is nowhere near the abomination I see WDSP being.

Every park I went to in WDW this New Years for isntance felt like it had ride density problems. Stacking in at two thrill rides apiece I actually realized that WDW is not so thrill saturated as some complainers argue but rather some parks just don't have much in general. Even their MK felt lacking. Compared to most WDW parks DCA is NOT short on attractions it's just the disney average.

Theming wise you might have an arguement. I think here it's a question of personal taste, DCA actually has quite a few areas that I find highly themed and pretty interesting to look at as well as areas that are rather bland, outside of your Magic Kingdom parks though all of WDW parks have bland area problems some MUCH worse then DCA and yet Disney fans will ignore and forgive this stuff.

FutureWorld in Epcot is a bland concrete nightmare, I hate the color of the paths and most of the buildings feel disjointed, you have a great looking Mission Space building next to an alright looking Testtrack next to a freaking obsolete 80's disaster looking thing that is Energy. Imagination is no better and the Sea's looks new but off in a corner and the Land just looks bland. Future World has isolated hopes of something but it just begs for someone to come through upgrade the scenery and make it feel like I'm actually SOMEWHERE and not just in the middle of a bunch of random buildings with odd archutecture (heck the emphasis on Future is fairly lost in the attraction content too)

I personally found that MGM studios is the Disney park I care the least for though. The pathways just feel random and poorly designed, really just kinda SixFlagsish with how they seemed to just put paths in without much traffic flow consideration or idea of how it might feel to walk this way or that. Sure some parts of the park have good retro Hollywood theming but it's equal parts bland backlot and oddly appendaged attractioned (Rockin Rollarcoaster seems cut in worse then DCA's ToT). You could argue MGM has more family rides but I'd say it's studio tours are kinda pathetic, I didn't find any of the shows to really match Alladin (Indy is good but also OLD), Lights Motors Action is kinda bland and Great Movie ride just doesn't really draw you in (Pirates it ain't or even Spaceship Earth for that matter, the weakest of all AA laden attractions of that vien). I won't even mention the much hated hat

However compared to AK I DO find DCA lacking, heck AK is really what most modern Disney parks scenery should at LEAST be like. It actually felt modern and like it was a generation of design ahead of alot of what Disney has done. Just looking at the detail impressed me, made me think even the World Showcase at Epcot and areas of the MK could use some "placemaking" like DCA is supposed to be getting. The park feels so darned organic and fresh I couldn't really find fault with it (despite my previous rants I'm not actually a person that looks for faults at least not while I'm experiencing the parks) it's one of the few parks I can say that I would be fairly content to just look at it rather then ride anything. AK is the park that nailed the low attraction count thing by making it up in very strong doses of theming. I can only assume that TDS is a level above this even in design and both likly show what MODERN theme park design can be rather then holding back to theming levels of the 80's like most other Disney parks seem to do.

I honestly have even found DCA to last a full day but I will say that was only once. Basicaly the park lacks repeatability (so do quite a few of WDW's parks) too many film based attractions and a few other experiences that are great once or twice but not so much after. Fortionaly most of the new rides are starting to fix that and the park will become much better adjusted.

I've enjoyed all trips I've made to DCA and while I think the theming could be more, it isn't a bad park and does feel fairly Disney to me (especially after seeing WDW), they really just needed to consider teh locals more when designing the thing. (in repeatability and in how attractive the theme would be for locals who would provide the park with initial hype)

The only non-Dis park I've been to is...hmmm...oh yes, SeaWorld Orlando once and SeaWorld San Antonio twice, that's it.

And I forgot Universal Orlando (not IOA) once when I was young.

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

i recently spent the day at Six Flags Magic Mountain , and the difference is between that and a Disney run theme park is un believable , Six flags seemed like chaos , no qeue order , trash EVERYWHERE it was kind of gross. Disney certainly spoils it's guests

My Maleficent tattoo

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    I have been to several parks that weren't own by Disney and they are pretty much all better than DCA. USF, IOA, Busch Gardens Africa and Europe, Kings Island, Cedar Point, Six Flags over Texas, Knott's Berry Farms, Sea World Orlando and San Diego, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Six Flags over Georgia, and Knott's are all better than DCA to various degrees.
    Wow, looks like we've been to alot of the same parks (the bolded ones).

Again, I'll give you USF and IOA ... and I 'may' even give you Six Flags Over TX and Georgia, but not Knott's, not anymore. 10 years ago, most definitely. Not now.

Non-Disney parks that I've been to that are definitely better than DCA:

USF
    IOA
    Knoebels
    Six Flags Great Adventure
    Hersheypark
    Six Flags Fiesta Texas

The reason the above are better is not just because they have awesome rides (because they do) but because the atmosphere, the theming the food makes it a complete park. Not just the "Let's put a coaster wherever we can fit one" like Magic Mountain had been doing for the past 15 years, and like Knott's has been doing for the past few.

And even though I like DCA, how much does it suck that a Six Flags park is actually better. And not just one ... but two (that I've been to). I wouldn't rank any other Disney park lower than the two Six Flags parks.

Non-Disney parks that I've been that 'may' be better than DCA:

Six Flags Over TX
    Six Flags Over Georgia
    Bonfante Gardens
    Paramount's Great America (or that's what it was called when we went there)

• =)

Paramount's Great America (or that's what it was called when we went there)
    Yeah, now it's just California's Great America. Paramount sold the park. And while it's certainly nowhere near the quality level one would expect from a Disney park, I daresay I prefer it to DCA simply because it does have some fun thrill rides. DCA's got some pretty areas, but when it comes to attractions, there are only a few that float my boat.

• Banned User

Yeah, Tokyo Disney. It's amazing that a Japanese company can do Disney better than Disney does!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandrocks55 View Post
    That's a pretty awesome list... Disney holds the top 8 positions! Impressive.
    No they don't. Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are not Disney owned parks.

• =)

It's amazing that a Japanese company can do Disney better than Disney does! [snip] Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are not Disney owned parks.
    You're splitting hairs, if you ask me. They're Disney-designed. The difference is in funding and who technically owns it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    The difference is in funding and who technically owns it.
    And that makes a world of difference. You can design the greatest park in the world (TDS) but you need the right people to run it properly and the money to build it right. The fact that the Oriental Land Company is so much more capable of providing a clean, safe, and exceptional experience for their guests than Disney is what is so amazing to me.

Perhaps if DCA was funded and operated by the OLC, it wouldn't be such a bad park.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast