• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Red Face How Wood U Describe Disneyland To Kids, Nieces, Nephews, GrandChildren, etc

I have a toddler in my family and her father is already planning a Disneyland trip 2 years from now. She's going to WDW this year and Disneyland when she's a bit older but with all the advertisments and my own love of the parks she can't but help see the resorts through photos, souvenirs, videos, dvds, etc.

Side note... And about the whole song and dance of how she won't remember it, there's cameras and video cameras in today's age of technology plus there are memories we adults will be creating for ourselves when we take her. Moving on.

It's funny, well a little bit funny, because when I show her Aurora's Sleeping Beauty castle at Disneyland she says "Cinderella's Castle!". I try to correct her by telling her that's Aurora's castle and Cinderella's Castle is in WDW but she doesn't care, it's a Princess Castle to her right now.

She even recently asked if Mickey Mouse lives there. We all told her a bunch of yes's and no's at the same time. We then agreed he and Minnie stay the night on some occasions.

Now I wonder how you all would describe Disneyland to your own kids, to your nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc.

If you like, list their ages, names are optional and how you describe Disneyland/Disney's California Adventure to them before their first visit.

• =)

Re: How Wood U Describe Disneyland To Kids, Nieces, Nephews, GrandChildren, etc

Haha, I don't even remember how my parents initially described it to me. I was quite young. I think once I actually went, I pretty quickly figured out that this was not an ordinary place....

• Senior Minion

That’s an interesting question. I definitely don't remember what my parents told me about it, I was very young and can’t ever remember not knowing what DL was ever. One thing I can remember was driving my Mom crazy as a kid asking her over and over to describe Space Mountain to me to help me get over my fear of going on it. (I think some of it was just that I liked talking about DL too. I guess not much has changed.)
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• =)

I do know that my parents made it clear pretty early on that this was not real, at least for the "scarier" experiences such as the skeleton-filled coves of Pirates of the Caribbean. That didn't matter to me--it felt real, and I treated it like it was real, and I still love the hints of the same feelings I get to this day.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

I think Disneyland has no explanation - you just have to experience it to be able to know.

By the way, you spelled 'would' wrong in the title
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Knight that says Nee!!

"It's the happiest place on Earth"

nuff said!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    She even recently asked if Mickey Mouse lives there. We all told her a bunch of yes's and no's at the same time. We then agreed he and Minnie stay the night on some occasions.
    The houses of both Mickey and Minnie (as well as Donald and Goofy and Chip/Dale) are in Toontown, so yes they do indeed live there.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Nowadays there are a lot of ways to introduce your children to Disney. With all of the videos on the market, that is one way. Children love storybooks, and a lot of children love to color. When my grandson was little he loved stickers. I think that if someone is planning a trip, it might be a good idea to visit your local book store, and pick up some fun items to share with and do with your child. Then when they get to the parks they will recognize some of the things that they have seen.

I also think that it is a good idea not to promise them exactly what they will see. Let the moment become the magic, don't try and create the magic ahead of time for them. I have seen too many stressed out little ones at the parks, because Mommy and Daddy promised them something that didn't happen.

May 11 - 16, 2015

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

I never been told what Disneyland was like. I had to find out for myself!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    "It's the happiest place on Earth"

nuff said!
    Not anymore, It's "Where Dreams Come True!"

• living to haunt

When I went the first time I had only seen Disneyland on TV every Sunday on the show. My parents had never been so they did not know anything about it.

Now when we took our daughter at about 8 the first time it was a complete surprise so she didn't get any info. We had been at Calico Ghost Town doing a shoot out contest and we left in the evening and told them we were heading home. We stopped at a camp ground, yes back then there was a camp ground by DL! and spent the night. We told them we were half way home. When they woke in the morning we packed up and headed out. About 100 yards from the huge big original wonderful Disneyland sign one of the kids in the car saw it! The screaming began!!!!

The three grandkids have been 3 times already. They are 8, 7, and 5 this year. We told them all about Walt and the history of the park first. We wanted them to see the fantasy and the dreaming it took to bring it into reality. Then we showed them pictures of their mom and us at the park over the years. Now the youngest was a little short of 2 on that trip, and he still talks about his "first time". When they went they already had places they each wanted to see and characters they wanted to meet. Last years Christmas trip, which I have yet to post a trip report on...bad me, they were a riot. We walked into the park and they all started walking to the main st. station...we asked where they were going...reply was " The first thing we do when we go in the park is ride the train that Walt built around the park and say hi to everything. Then we get off in TL and ride Star Tours for Grandpa, then we can do the rest." A tradition is passed on to another generation!
    "I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."
    --- Walt Disney

Member of MiceChat Gold!

Lover of the Haunted Mansion and
    Nightmare Before Christmas

Dreaming of Pirates!

Still waiting to go to my first meet

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    The houses of both Mickey and Minnie (as well as Donald and Goofy and Chip/Dale) are in Toontown, so yes they do indeed live there.
    OH we just meant by what we said to my niece that Mickey and Minnie sometimes sleep over at the castle, I did forget to mention that we did tell her that Mickey and Minnie have their own houses. ;o)

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    OH we just meant by what we said to my niece that Mickey and Minnie sometimes sleep over at the castle, I did forget to mention that we did tell her that Mickey and Minnie have their own houses. ;o)
    Ah yes...no doubt they are occasional castle guests.

And to you Dan-Tasmic...curse you and yer new fangled slogans!!!!