Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

A growing problem at Disneyland?

I was at the park last Thursday with my wife (if you were there you probably saw me. I was the one wearing the 'I'm here without any adult supervison' t-shirt), and we noticed a disturbing trend. Every single line we got in, a group of pre-teens or young teens let large groups of their friends cut in line ahead of everyone else. This raised more than a few tempers from what I saw, but none of the Disney employees seemed to care enough to do anything about it. Does anyone have any idea why this is suddenly happening and why nothing is being done about it? Is it just a summer thing? I usually go in the Winter and I haven't witnessed it happening before.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: A growing problem at Disneyland?

It's a rude thing. You gotta call em' out on it or it will continue. It is a bit more prevalent of late.

• DCA FTW!

Odd they normally kick the cutters out especially when its a large group trying to jump in. I was there about two weeks ago and a group tried to do the same on Matterhorn but the CM'S caught them and made them get out of the line.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Knight that says Nee!!

As to why it happens...IMO because more and more parents are failing to teach their kids common courtesy for public behavior. It seems that more and more of the teen/tween crowd have been allowed to believe that they are the center of the universe and that other people around them dont matter much. It is a shame, because the older you are when that bubble is burst...the tougher, and more life changing, the lesson is.

As to why nothing appears to be done...I don't know. Really though (I have no formal training so this is a guess based on observation) DL CMs seem to be taught/told to be as non-confronatational with guests as they can be and so if the behavior in question doesn't risk anyones immediate safety or something, they probably wont get involved.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

I was talking to a CM friend about what happened yesterday at Main Street Station. We were waiting in line on the outside of the station because the line was so long. As they started letting the line through about 30 people cut. The guests who were waiting patiently outside made comments but the cutters kept cutting and the CM's said nothing...until I walked up and the CM says "The line starts back there!" and pointing towards said line. But she was looking at me the entire time.

I haven't ever seen someone get in trouble for cutting or holding a line for someone.

Then again when does DLR managers enforce any of their rules that doesn't include a 'talking to' anyways.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Senior Minion

I see this attitude that GD describes even extending into the working world as this same generation of kids are starting to graduate college and moving into the professional workforce. Many of them have this kind of, world revolves around me, attitude. They think they deserve all kinds of fancy benefits, flexible schedules and important positions, they are generally clueless about anything and then they expect to be paid more than people with years of experience.

I think this all has to do with the new age philosophy that seemed to start about 20 years ago, of not allowing kids to compete, for fear it will hurt their self-esteem. Many schools avoid giving grades, sports teams don't count score, basically no criticism is allowed toward children. Instead of well adjusted adults with good esteem, no surprise to me, we got a bunch of egomaniacs who believe the world owes them something, and they can do no wrong.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• formerly PretzelSouls!

That is just rude...parents need to teach their kids discipline. If I saw something like that (especially if that day was particularly busy) I would have said something - well maybe not due to my high amounts of fire spitting when angry - but anyways, that's just wrong. Makes me want to backhand people...
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• =)

I can understand if there's a mixup and a friend (or a few) needs to occasionally be let into the line to catch up with their friends; I know that happened to me when I was away from the rest of my group a couple months ago. But when it's done disrespectfully or in huge numbers or all the time, that is indeed very annoying.

Uncle Bob, on a side note, I'm sad to say I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I do want to say that in all my dealings with schools over the last few years, I've seen a complete lack of qualms over failing mass quantities of kids, so I don't think that's the source of the problem.

• Dave

Blog Entries

Maybe saying something to those cuting might help. I think Uncle Bob is correct we're so afraid of offending some one and no one speaks up. Maybe some these kids could have used a good old fashioned spanking when they were younger.
    Dave

• =)

Well, can't say I agree on the spanking thing, but yes, a lot more discipline is needed.

•   
    • So fetch

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    I was talking to a CM friend about what happened yesterday at Main Street Station. We were waiting in line on the outside of the station because the line was so long. As they started letting the line through about 30 people cut. The guests who were waiting patiently outside made comments but the cutters kept cutting and the CM's said nothing...until I walked up and the CM says "The line starts back there!" and pointing towards said line. But she was looking at me the entire time.
    The icing on the cake was when one of the cutter's kids kicked me when they were rough housing in line. The father saw what happened, made eye contact with me and didn't say a word. A few minutes later the same guy decided to get out of line with his kids and crashed right into a guy behind us. He didn't apologize to that guy.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

I had a Fast Pass to Indiana Jones one time. My brother, my friend, and I were walking up, and some lady with 3 of her children hops out of the Standby line right in front of the CM and tells him that their grandmother was already inside of the "Temple". He said, "we can't let people go in without their Fastpass, but next time have your grandmother wait for you" and lets her through. Besides her cutting in front of 50 people, it frustrated me so much that he didn't turn them away.
    Oh, and they never did find their grandma because she didn't exist. This isn't just a habit of pre-teens though and it's sad..

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    As to why it happens...IMO because more and more parents are failing to teach their kids common courtesy for public behavior. It seems that more and more of the teen/tween crowd have been allowed to believe that they are the center of the universe and that other people around them dont matter much. It is a shame, because the older you are when that bubble is burst...the tougher, and more life changing, the lesson is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I see this attitude that GD describes even extending into the working world as this same generation of kids are starting to graduate college and moving into the professional workforce. Many of them have this kind of, world revolves around me, attitude. They think they deserve all kinds of fancy benefits, flexible schedules and important positions, they are generally clueless about anything and then they expect to be paid more than people with years of experience.

I think this all has to do with the new age philosophy that seemed to start about 20 years ago, of not allowing kids to compete, for fear it will hurt their self-esteem. Many schools avoid giving grades, sports teams don't count score, basically no criticism is allowed toward children. Instead of well adjusted adults with good esteem, no surprise to me, we got a bunch of egomaniacs who believe the world owes them something, and they can do no wrong.
    It's so refreshing to hear these comments, I couldn't agree more. It's a problem that comes from the parents' lack of responsibility in teaching their kids, not a result of societal pressure.

Parents these days are too "busy" to be with and teach their kids and schools are too concerned with making a student "feel good about themselves" than they are in teaching.

And this self-centered-ness is the result.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I guess, I'm old fashioned but a lot of it starts when kids are young. I was spanked and even had my mouth washed out with soap(Dial had a nice flavor to it). Also teen agers are teen agers and it seems like the cast member should have called security, and when we as customers see them not doing that than we need to inform their supervisor.
    Dave

• Senior Minion

I agree with Data about spanking, spanking only teaches children to fear authority or think that violence is a solution to problems, which are not healthy either. It depends on the age of the child somewhat, but once they are old enough to understand, it's important for parents to explain what the child did wrong, and why it was wrong, and then give clear punishment of that behavior in the future. The best punishments are taking away privileges IMO.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast