Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Maleficent at Disneyland

So you all know I am pretty much obsessed with Maleficent...I have been since I first saw Sleeping Beauty when I was a toddler...my question is why do we see all these amazing Halloween shows and parades at the other parks in which a Maleficent face character is featured?? Why isn't she seen more at Disneyland? It IS Sleeping Beauty's castle...I mean I love her in Fantasmic! but I would love to see her around more. We see a lot of villains, but no Maleficent. Are there any new things happening at the park this year for Halloween? Maybe a parade or show of some sort?? Was there ever a Maleficent character in the past?? Bring her back if they did!!

Also I would love to see some good photos of the Maleficent face character...especially the old ones...that is, if there was one back in the day...
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Maleficent at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by princedalton View Post
    So you all know I am pretty much obsessed with Maleficent...I have been since I first saw Sleeping Beauty when I was a toddler...my question is why do we see all these amazing Halloween shows and parades at the other parks in which a Maleficent face character is featured?? Why isn't she seen more at Disneyland? It IS Sleeping Beauty's castle...I mean I love her in Fantasmic! but I would love to see her around more. We see a lot of villains, but no Maleficent. Are there any new things happening at the park this year for Halloween? Maybe a parade or show of some sort?? Was there ever a Maleficent character in the past?? Bring her back if they did!!

Also I would love to see some good photos of the Maleficent face character...especially the old ones...that is, if there was one back in the day...
    She is featured prominently in the Haunted Mansion segment of the Disneyland Sing Along VHS. She is also featured prominently with Michael Eisner in a Youtube video celebrating the opening of Fantasmic!. This will give you an idea of what she looked like in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She really hasn't changed much.

• =)

Meh. Maybe it's just because the film Sleeping Beauty was never a big part of my life, but I haven't observed other people to be too aware of it, either. I don't think the name "Malificent" or her look are very well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    She is featured prominently in the Haunted Mansion segment of the Disneyland Sing Along VHS. She is also featured prominently with Michael Eisner in a Youtube video celebrating the opening of Fantasmic!. This will give you an idea of what she looked like in the late 1980s and early 1990s. She really hasn't changed much.
    Oh yeah I've seen the youtube vid many times and I have owned the vhs of Disneyland Fun! Sing along songs since like 1990...

haha
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Meh. Maybe it's just because the film Sleeping Beauty was never a big part of my life, but I haven't observed other people to be too aware of it, either. I don't think the name "Malificent" or her look are very well-known.
    Nah... She's only Disney's number one villain... I mean, really, who cares about horn-headed evil fairies anyways... It's not like she's made an impression on millions of people or anything like that...

• Practically Magic

Blog Entries

I believe the reason she isn't walking around or in the parades is because her part in Fantasmic! is played by a man (due to the height requirements for her costume). They'd have to design a new costume that an average-sized woman could fit perfectly, but there's also the problem of how many little kids are terrified of her.

That reminds me of a funny story: ANECDOTE INCOMING! I was taking the personality test inside Beast's Library in the Animation Building while a little girl dressed as Jasmine was standing right next to me, waiting her turn. She was watching me work the book and she looked really interested to see who I would get. So when I got Maleficent, oh my gawd, if you could've seen the look on that poor girl's face! She was TERRIFIED. She actually ran away and hid from my sight! My brother was on the ground almost dead from laughter, but I was just shocked.

Now THAT is a powerful character.

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Nah... She's only Disney's number one villain... I mean, really, who cares about horn-headed evil fairies anyways... It's not like she's made an impression on millions of people or anything like that...
    Tell me about it. Try walking around the parks with a Maleficent doll! No matter where you go, every ten seconds, someone will run up to you and scream, "OH MY GOD WHERE DID YOU GET THAT TELL ME NOW I LOVE HER." I get more comments about Maleficent than I do about my Jessica doll, for crying out loud!

Disney are IDIOTS for not milking their Maleficent merchandise opportunities for all they're worth. I wouldn't be surprised if they could finance a villains ride from the profits of selling Maleficent dolls alone.

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Lady View Post

Disney are IDIOTS for not milking their Maleficent merchandise opportunities for all they're worth. I wouldn't be surprised if they could finance a villains ride from the profits of selling Maleficent dolls alone.

The Villains store at MGM/HS used to have tons of Maleficent merchandise, which has given way to pirates and NMBC stuff. Oh how I miss those days.

Yeah I knew that a man plays her in F! I think thats totally funny...but I just don't understand why she can be seen in parades and shows at TDL, DLP, and esp WDW with like the "Villains Mix and Mingle" and like th YOAMD show in front of the castle where she crashes the party or whatever...there should be more of her at Disneyland!

And yes. Malefient is definitely one of the most popular villains, if not the most popular. She is sort of the lead villain. The most sinister. She is always in the center kind of looking over the other villains in most villains posters. She's definitely the most powerful, in my opinion. People I know who aren't even huge Disney fans love "the witch from Sleeping Beauty"....even though she's NOT a witch!!! hahaha
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Maleficent's greatest appearance at DL still has to be the dramatically-lit giant inflatable that stood before the Main Gates for this event:

Mickey's Halloween Treat at Disneyland 1995

That was the perfect welcoming sight for a terrific event!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• For You!

I don't think that I've ever seen her out and about either - My tribute is in my avatar.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I'd have to say Maleficent is probably the best character next to Captain Hook. Although I must admit, Cruella is the most fun.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I'd have to say Maleficent is probably the best character next to Captain Hook. Although I must admit, Cruella is the most fun.
    That's for sure. Always thought it would be fun to feature a House of De Vil fashion weekend, fun excuse for new and vintage Disney and local fashion to be showcased. But I'd stage it in DCA for the space consideration among other reasons.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Minion

ORDDU: Maleficent is featured quite prominently at Walt Disney World in Florida these days, princedalton, duckling. My sisters and I will have to send you some photographs. She is in the 3 o'clock parade every day on the villains float. Then she creates havoc during the Dream Along with Mickey Stage show in front of the castle.

ORWEN: Prince Phillip and Princess Aurora are in the Dream Along with Mickey Stage Show, too! I love watching them sing and dance together.

ORGOCH: Got Samson?

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Maleficent's greatest appearance at DL still has to be the dramatically-lit giant inflatable that stood before the Main Gates for this event:

That was the perfect welcoming sight for a terrific event!
    Now THAT is something I would love to see a photo of!!! Does anyone have a pic of this?? Maybe it was in the link you posted?? If it was, I couldn't find it.
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Had I been able to locate those photos they would have been of course included. Still searching though.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast