Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gaps in Show

• "I Break Things"

Gaps in Show, a Carousel Comment

I waited patiently, but since Bruce didn't post it... I will. I hadn't noticed this before, but what happened when they designed the King Triton Carousel? All the detail that went into designing King Arthur's was lost I guess. Two specific points to comment on.

#1, Exterior queue- No attempt was made to hide exterior wiring for power or speakers on the columns. Instead of running such cabling inside columns and making things nice, it was run outside and painted over. There was no attempt to add detail to the columns (like flutes in Roman columns) to possibly hide this either.

#2 Carousel construction- Again, never noticed it before, but they didn't bother to cover the power rings on the actual carousel itself. If you look over at the center of the carousel, and follow the column up, you can see everything important right above the fake mirrored facade.

#3 Overall Building Design- I am forever shocked that they went with amazingly detailed pendants of the past, glorifying past seaside Boardwalks, and then went with a tacky ribbon roof! No clue why... but it definately needs help.

I would hope that with the addition of TSMM, the rest of PP will begin to look as badly as some MC's already see it. Hopefully TSMM will highlight the need for better show buildings, and more attention to a unified PP architecture.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-22-2008 at 10:36 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• A Honorary Autobot

Re: Gaps in Show

Tech, to quote Doc Brown, you're not thinking fourth dimensionally...

Maybe you're just totally underestimating the Imagineer's commitment to theming.

The new Paradise Pier is meant to be staged in a Victorian time period, right? Have you seen old photographs of Santa Monica Pier or The Pike? Their workmanship sucked.

The Imagineers are so thematically correct that they dumbed down their quality all for the sake of theming...

• "I Break Things"

Actually prior to the Great Depression people actually took pride in quality work. A lot of the old buildings were amazing from a craftsmanship standpoint. During the Depression no one had money so it was "temporary repairs". After years of "temporary repairs" most things either fell apart or were dismantled and scrapped for other projects. A LOT of the old woodies were destroyed in this manner.

So to address the comment, if this is reflecting the "Golden Age of Baordwalks" then the wiring, and anything else should be kept out of sight as it would have back then.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

TS, you would have had heart failure if you saw all the wires and cables strewn about the castle during this last Christmas season!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    TS, you would have had heart failure if you saw all the wires and cables strewn about the castle during this last Christmas season!
    THAT... while annoying... is temporary... King Triton is permanent.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    THAT... while annoying... is temporary... King Triton is permanent.
    Nothing is permanent. Just ask the cryogenicly preserved head of Walt Disney.

• "I Break Things"

This is a specific shot of King Arthur's Carousel. Notice how aside from the actual up/down mechanism, everything else is hidden from view and the center facade extends all the way up.

Now notice the speakers mounted to the poles on King Arthur's... again attention is paid to the details and the cable harnesses appear to be inside the physical pole.

Sadly I just realized after going through 2 cards that I do not have matching shots of King Triton's... if anyone does please post them, if not I will try to take them. King Arthur's is a phenomenal carousel by any standard... sadly King Triton's IMHO, while creative, lacks everything that makes King Arthur's so magical... those details that are hidden for a reason.

• Dark Side Full

On a side note, how 'bout the entrance to Ariel's Grotto Restaurant?

Notice how they slapped Ariel underneath the original sign to cover up Avalon Cove? The merman atop bears no resemblance to her father, nor do the mermaids to her sisters? I could be wrong in that they could be uncle, aunts, cousins, friends, neighbors of Ariel.

Walk a few feet down the boardwalk, and gaze at the show posters on the right side along the restaurant's wall. There you will find a piece of art touting Avalon Cove with the same aforementioned characters.

Gaps in Show?

Has anyone else noticed this before? Details, people. Details.
    *People JUDGE me too quickly...

King Arthur's was originally a product of Wm. H. Dentzel of Philadelphia. This was one of the early examples( early 1920's) of what was to become his trademark style, the "jester sheild" rim machine. The originally inner and outer panels were made of cast composition plaster mounted on wood panels, the ceiling over the cranks made of fiberboard. Very little of the original machine is left now. The scenery panels were replaced a number of years ago, and it received a new metal centerpole, gears and cranks about four years ago. As far as King Triton's, it was built by Morgan Manufacturing (the same company that built the Golden Zepher ). The owner is the son of one of the founders of Arrow Dynamics. Shortly after the DCA rides were delivered he sold the business to Chance Rides of Witchta. Morgan also built the Caro Seuse el at Universal Florida.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    King Arthur's was originally a product of Wm. H. Dentzel of Philadelphia. This was one of the early examples( early 1920's) of what was to become his trademark style, the "jester shield" rim machine. The originally inner and outer panels were made of cast composition plaster mounted on wood panels, the ceiling over the cranks made of fiberboard. Very little of the original machine is left now. The scenery panels were replaced a number of years ago, and it received a new metal centerpole, gears and cranks about four years ago. As far as King Triton's, it was built by Morgan Manufacturing (the same company that built the Golden Zepher ). The owner is the son of one of the founders of Arrow Dynamics. Shortly after the DCA rides were delivered he sold the business to Chance Rides of Witchta. Morgan also built the Caro Seuse el at Universal Florida.
    Thank You. The overall pride and craftsmanship really shines through on that carousel. Sadly the lack of pride, and lack of craftsmanship also shine through on King Triton...

• Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Thank You. The overall pride and craftsmanship really shines through on that carousel. Sadly the lack of pride, and lack of craftsmanship also shine through on King Triton...
    It may not be a lack of anything other than the budget and specs that the company was given for the project. Given what we know about the history of DCA that seems a more likely explanation. For all we know they may have proposed a much more themed project and were told not to bother.

• I'm not really here

I can almost hear the meeting:

"It's just a carousel... we don't need to spend that much on it. We'll cut that rides budget and save a bundle there. Ok, what else can we minimize?"

Later that day on Flower St.:

"They cut the budget by HOW MUCH!?!?"

I don't think WDI really wanted it to look like that. I'm willing to bet that original plans had it looking much more like TSMM and KAC, but when DCA got hacked up like the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it ended up looking like it does today.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Still lost in Neverland

The thing that made me sad about the lack of craftsmanship and attention to detail in the King Triton Carousel, was that the same company that built this travesty also built the Caro-Seuss-el in Islands of Adventures Dr. Seuss Island. That one has to be the ultimate in theming and attention to detail. All the creatures are different and were designed after the various creatures in the Dr. Seuss stories. They are animated as well. Ears and eyes move when in motion. And even the platforms for wheelchairs rocks back and forth when the ride is in motion.

When I heard that this company was doing the Triton Carousel I was really looking forward to seeing it as I thought they would put the same detail and moving parts into this one as well. What a sad dissapointment that was when I first saw it. Pressler had no imagination at all. "Just a carousel" is about right right for him.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn, Renaissance Woman View Post
    It may not be a lack of anything other than the budget and specs that the company was given for the project. Given what we know about the history of DCA that seems a more likely explanation. For all we know they may have proposed a much more themed project and were told not to bother.
    Granted everyone has their price, but I know a lot of companies and craftsman in general who will either do it right... or not do it! Especially when it is going to be displayed prominently as is the case with the King Triton in DCA.

• Minion

ORWEN: Something just sounds so 'fishy' about all this...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast