Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Done waiting!!

Whats broken on the Jungle Cruise?

First of all, I love the Jungle Cruise. Its one of the first and best rides at DL or anywhere. However, it has its flaws like most rides. During my last visit on 6/7/08 I was again reminded that if you sit near the engine (or anywhere in some cases) the skip might as well be asking you if you'd like fries with that because the mics are completely impossible to understand. I understand part of this may be because the skip holds the mic too close to their mouth but either way the ride loses almost all of its appeal without the spiel. Granted another issue is the increasing uniformity in the spiel (yes, we know the sign says "Danger"). On the broken Indy thread here it was also brought up that many other issues are popping up with this over half century old classic. What have you noticed? How could it be fixed?
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Re: Whats broken on the Jungle Cruise?

Where's tech on this one?

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I miss the piranah shooting water into the boat but I think they don't want that to work.

• "I Break Things"

nolimit can easily cover the "what's broken" he has quite a list. Recently I have had several Skips contact me about the "mystery derails" so you can put that on the list.

The Jungle is basically being herself! Those Skips, and this is now a handful, who have been around her long enough are just laughing with an old friend.

I hear some of the misters are clogged. Each boat has it's own quirks (I could go into a great deal of detail on this one). The dock is buckling again (always happens when the day starts to heat up but the night is cool... they will never learn I swear).

To address the TS, engines are loud, speakers are not multi-directional, mics are inconsistent, and Skippers as a general rule right now lack the experience or finesse to properly adapt to all the variables. In short... sit up front... and even then you have a good chance of having a cookie cutter... My apologies to anyone who is currently a Skip, but I tell it like it is.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I miss the piranah shooting water into the boat but I think they don't want that to work.

Oh how I wish that still happened.

And it all depends on the boat, its engine and its PA. Alot of the PA systems arent doing so well right now, so it can be tough at times for the skips.

I dont really want to go in to detail of what is flawed. Like any attraction, it has its wear and tear.

• "I Break Things"

a certain unmentionable Skip was the reason the Piranhas were turned around. That will likely never be brought back. But for several months Happiness was a Low Water Level.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

I'm sick of hearing I'm in denial, or da nile. What's up with the switch right before the dock? Is there a diagram of how many there are and what the key for the lights on the board by trader sam mean? Is there anyone here who can give me this information?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    a certain unmentionable Skip was the reason the Piranhas were turned around. That will likely never be brought back. But for several months Happiness was a Low Water Level.
    Any more of that story you would like to share? as in specifics
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    When it first got me I laughed until the ride was over. The next time I knew it was coming and I laughed the rest of the way at the other people. It was great, too bad I only got to see it a handful of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I'm sick of hearing I'm in denial, or da nile. What's up with the switch right before the dock? Is there a diagram of how many there are and what the key for the lights on the board by trader sam mean? Is there anyone here who can give me this information?
    What about the switch exactly? There are 3 right there. One for main line, one to cat walk, and one to spur. Lights at sam are indicator lights basically. For the skips, flashing means stop or have serious consequences. They also tell what switch is in use by which light is flashing and not.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I can't help but think this will spoil the magic for you...

#1 is Main/Catwalk
    #2 is Main/Storage
    #3 is Storage/Spur

There is also a #4 which is Boat storage Main/Spur... so there ya go magic spoiled sorry!

To explain the lights. Both green lights are Main. I'm trying to remember this but I'm 95% certain top red is Storage and bottom red is Catwalk... it's been a while, I'd have to look to be 100%.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-12-2008 at 09:31 PM.

The spiel is getting to be so cookie-cutter that Rex could be giving it. So sad.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by maximmom View Post
    The spiel is getting to be so cookie-cutter that Rex could be giving it. So sad.
    There is a thread I posted in regards to JC characters which was meant to address this issue. While I could easily blame the crew, I tend to chalk this up to lack of experience... and actually I blame the trainers more then anything for not coordinating which spiels they teach (long story which will derail this thread)

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great inside info Tech & Nolimit. Keep it up!

• "I Break Things"

Great inside info Tech & Nolimit. Keep it up!
    In some respects I feel like a traitor to my own kind... but at the same time I feel knowledge is power, and given the rather interesting fiasco that happened during a downtime on a previous visit... they need some educatin'!

Ok... and this is mainly for the current Skips. Boats have personalities. Some have quiet engines, some loud, some are speed boats while others barely float, some are loose at the throttle while others stick badly (to the point of doing arm curls just to stop them). Also each boat's PA is a mystery, so you end up switching out mics and adjusting volumes to figure out which ones sound nice and which ones sound like a tin-can telephone. I am stating the obvious... why... so that it can not be used as an excuse. These are the cards that a Skipper is dealt, either they work with them and incorporate the boat as an addition to their spiel. Or they hide behind these perceived flaws and make no attempt or adjustments. Lately I have seen a lot more hiding then working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast