Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Tiki Room Turns 45! Who will be there??

You know, I've had good and bad luck with Walt Disney Event Services. It seems to be hit and miss at times. Sorry that this wasn't too successful for some of you folks.

Lucky me... I was fortunate that RetroMouse got me the shirts and bangle that we were looking for. Thanks "C and P"!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    i didn't make it to the event, i was there, but my god the line was really long.

hey, did anyone else run into Bob Gurr? i chatted with him for a bit on mainstreet, really nice guy!
    I was on the "Walk in Walt's Footsteps" tour today, and we ran into Bob Gurr in the Enchanted Tiki Room courtyard around 2:45-3:00 p.m.! I got to chat with him too, and after the performance, he stuck around with the tour to tell us some really great stories about his experiences with Walt and about the attractions he designed. He's really a great guy, and it was an honor to meet him. After the tour was over, around 5:30 p.m., I went to Store Command and picked up the Tiki birds set... its a great set of pins, and I thought I wasn't even going to get it because it was so late in the day!

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post

hey, did anyone else run into Bob Gurr? i chatted with him for a bit on mainstreet, really nice guy!

Yep, I ran into him and had a brief chat with him too on Main Street. I saw him taking some pictures of the line (even he couldn't believe the line!). I also saw him riding down as the only passenger of the Omnibus!

• Banned User

I wish I could see Bob Gurr. He's such a cute little man! And, he's done amazing things for DL.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Boy Bob Gurr is the man of the hour! I saw him this morning too outside the cinema and he was talking to us about our tiki room purchases and then took a picture of people with their loot. I think that I was in one of those pics-yay! I was trying to take a picture of him taking a picture of us, but I was too slow getting the camera out.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Why was the Fountain sold out so fast??

Anyone have pictures?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    Why was the Fountain sold out so fast??

Anyone have pictures?
    Pictures:

http://www.register123.com/event/pro...D=0x112329ffe5

The reason they sold out:

Tiki Room Turns 45! Who will be there?? (Merged Threads)

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by disneydan View Post
    Just got back from the Tiki Room event. This was the most poorly managed event that I have ever attended at Disneyland. They advertised the event as starting at 8am, we got there at 6am. To start it all off they let in people early that stay at the Hotels (and some that did not) I can understand that, but they should have everyone waiting for the event have a fair chance of getting in line, maybe giving out wrist bands. The main fiasco began when we were informed that they only had 60 fountains in stock due to labor disputes in China. Instead of taking our names in the order that we were in line they stated that we would have to call in on Monday morning to their merchandise services department to see if we can order them. As you can imagine, this had everyone very upset, most people came specifically for the fountain (one couple flew in from Denver) I was so upset that I went to City Hall to complain, I was getting nowhere until the wonderful woman that was behind me in line showed up at City Hall. She took the issue to the top, I don’t know who she spoke with but they spoke with event management and they changed their minds about not taking orders. After that the Head of merchandising and the Event manager came down the line telling us that they would take our names and call us when the fountains were available. When they started taking names we told them that we would be traveling in Costa Rica in a few weeks and they took the dates and stated that they would call us after our trip, great customer service. I ended up getting everything I wanted yet we were in the first 1/4 of the line - several items had shortages. I feel bad for the people behind us.
    I think I saw this lady today... I was waiting for a tour to begin, around 1:30 p.m. or so, and a lady was led over to the Guided Tours meeting area, and told to wait there... a few minutes later, a woman Suit came out to talk to the lady... the lady complaining started getting a little heated, and I overheard her saying that she was, "very disappointed with Disney and the way they created the situation in the first place, and how they handled it afterwards". At the time, I didn't know what she was talking about, but after reading the complaints in this thread, I think it's safe to assume that she was angry about the tiki fountain, and the lady you are talking about... I never heard how the conversation ended, because I walked farther away with my family, so I was out of earshot by then, but it seems that the lady complaining was successful, got the job done.

• șoș Tom șoș

Thumbs down Tiki Room Chaos (Rant)

Hello Fellow Mice Chatters!

Sooooooooooooo. The 45th Anniversary Tiki Room Art Event---- was for all intents and purposes a bloody disaster and not for the efforts of the staff at resort but I have to lay some blame on the folks in line, several which I am sure are MiceChatters. I am not going to apologize for that.

My brother, his bestfriend and I stayed at the Sheraton down the street, got ourselves up and over to the gates by 5:30. Of course in the insuing chaos of sending us back out to the security check in and the subsequent chaos in the hour that followed, we suddenly found ourselves at the back of the line with no reward for getting there early. Thats my first bull**** moment.

Once inside, we got to the maingates and we did not have early access, so we lined up and waited patiently. We slowly watched the 3 or 4 people in front of us, morph into 8 or 12 people. That was a little much but we didn't say anything. After an hour and half in the baking sun they let us in.

Sprinting up Main Street, we found our place in line directly across from the Blue Ribbon Bakery, behind a woman who was there all by herself, who was directly behind a woman in a wheelchair and maybe 2 or 3 companions.

We watched as a few more joined there group, maybe totaling 4 or 5 people. The woman in the wheelchair, remained in her seat, as we inched up Main Street over the next hour and half or two hours.

Meantime, a security agent made several announcements about "holding places in line" and "cutting"... well much to my chagrin, the woman in the wheel chair continued to invite folks to join her in front of us. Suddenly 4 or 5 was a 8 to 10 people. Okay I wasn't too mad until I realized these people had been at the pin event.

It gets worse. This band of about a 10 folks, made it into the crowded Disneyana about 5 minutes in front of us. Once we were let inside, this woman in the wheel chair, had stood up and was walking with her group, as they used her wheelchair as a shopping cart, parked in the center of the gallery. Her friend's camped out in front of the very small 10 x 10 product display, literally handing things back and making it impossible to get in and see anything let alone pick up a product and get out of the way.

Eventually the "super crew" picked up everything they wanted and moved out of the way but it took nearly 5 or 10 minutes.

I picked up my two prints, paid and left. I felt horriable about the hundreds of other people still in line behind us and kept thinking they had to wait longer because some group of 2 or 3 multipled into 8 to 10 people and that was probably just one of several groups who did that. And with temperatures nearing the mid 90's, I think thats pretty messed up.

Later that day we ran into the woman in the wheelchair with her friend while we were standing in line for the Haunted Mansion.... yeah she was standing without the chair.

I guess my beef is two things--- the abuse of what may have been a legitimate injury for the use of a wheelchair used as a shopping cart at an event that was already so chaotic.

And the other and most significant part was the amount of people who cut in line or had people hold a place for them while they did other things or showed up late. And I know people will tell me---"you don't know the circumstances of why that woman was in the wheelchair or why those people showed up late and joined them in line."

Does it matter? These people abused the line and caused other people to have wait longer. Fair is fair.

Its funny because the day before I was at Magic Mountain watching children do the same thing and I turned to my friends and said this would never fly at a Disney park and here I was watching grown adults do the same thing.
    Last edited by ah schucks; 06-23-2008 at 09:22 AM.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Tiki Room Turns 45! Who will be there?? (Merged Threads)

you would be shocked but it happens more often than you think... I personally am not allowed to walk up stairs or stand in the inching lines... (blows out my knees really quick)... I do have a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) but trust me I get dirty looks all the time... I don't abuse the GAC, I go where I am supposed to and when I don't think I can handle the line I just don't stand in it.. On a regular basis I see teens with one wheelchair rotating it between them just so they can have a seat while waiting in what they think is going to be the shorter line... Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• Minion

I'm weaving through ebay to see what the tiki stuff is going for, on average it's about double the original price.

The fruit bowl is going for $80
    Tiki babys are going for $40 each.
    Hawaiian shirt is going for ~$100
    Pillow is going for $80
    Tote bag $60
    5 fig set is being sold for $200

So far no fountains on ebay that I can see, although from the 60 or so that were sold, I'm assuming the people who got them are holding on to dear life for them, or waiting to see how much they should expect for their's.
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 06-23-2008 at 11:49 AM.

• The one, the only...

The whole event was awful! It was so disorganized. Got there a half an hour before park opening but would not let us in until about 8 AM. Then there was already over 150 people in line. We were told that the fountain was sold out after 30 minutes. But to call back in July when more came in. NOW I read that some have called this morning to order them. THAT IS NOT RIGHT! I will have to call, but it is wrong to tell some guests one thing and then change the plan for a few others!

Disney STINKS!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

•   
    • Senior Minion

From my experience of various Disney merchandise events, it is rare that they organized in any way. I'm surprised that things didn't get more out of hand then they did this past Sunday. You'd think Disney would learn and change with the guest complaints/experiences they've had before ... but they don't ... so I wouldn't expect for things to change or get better at future merchandise events any time soon.

Personally I'm just happy I got what I wanted - which was just the t-shirt and bracelet. So, even when I heard that the fountains and big figs were out it didn't really phase me. I was lucky to get my stuff early in the day and be able to have fun at the park before it got too hot.

• Winter in Oceanside...

I get irritated by these events. Either make enough for everyone who wants one, or forget it. Obviously they might still run out on opening day, but at least keep making the items so everyone can get what they want at some future time.

• șoș Tom șoș

Just FYI--- on the whole fountain discussion. Not sure its been posted but they didn't run out of them but they were literally backed up in shipping due to the flooding in the midwest, according to the even coordinator yesterday.

I will say this. The event was more organized than the previous Shag events I've attended but not by a lot.

They need a suggestion box so that people can give them ideas on ways to better organize the event.

Per example, the entire display area was 10 feet by 10 feet in the gallery and a good chunk of the real estate within the gallery was taken up by a table for packaging and for the custom framing they offer, which very few to no people took advantage of while I was in the store. Why not move those out front?

Also we've all seen these items online but not in person. Why not create mobile displays on wheels that can slowly be moved along the line, giving folks a chance to see the life size versions of the merchandise to speed up the decision process once you get inside.

Lastly the biggest problem I have with the event, is Disney's inability to keep people from cheating the lines and taking so long inside the gallery. At signing events I've been to at other places like Comic Con or such, you are limited in time so that everyone gets an equal chance.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast