Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Make it Cool

Re: TSMM Soft Opening Today?

Went on it around 6:30 tonight. The Mr. Potato Head figure is really amazing. The ride was exceptionally fun on multiple leves and perfectly executed technically and creatively. Any nay-sayers complaining about the flats and lack of AA figures just don't get it. It's not that kind of ride. It's a video game that you ride through. The focus is on the fun game play and not the scenery. And it is very successful as that.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

I have a question... a serious one. I'll be visiting the parks with my friends tomorrow, and one of them is claustrophobic. She can do the Fantasyland dark rides, because they move quickly, and are not that long, Astro Blasters, the Nemo Observation room, etc. But she cannot do Indy, Pirates, Splash, Space Mountain (too often), Star Tours... I think you get the idea.

Do you think she could handle it? We'll go on it, and give her an assesment (and if it's ok, go on it), but we could use all the help we can get. I know she'll want to go on it. Any help is appreciated.

• Make it Cool

Quote Originally Posted by dland_lover View Post
    I have a question... a serious one. I'll be visiting the parks with my friends tomorrow, and one of them is claustrophobic. She can do the Fantasyland dark rides, because they move quickly, and are not that long, Astro Blasters, the Nemo Observation room, etc. But she cannot do Indy, Pirates, Splash, Space Mountain (too often), Star Tours... I think you get the idea.

Do you think she could handle it? We'll go on it, and give her an assesment (and if it's ok, go on it), but we could use all the help we can get. I know she'll want to go on it. Any help is appreciated.
    That's kind of confusing. The FL Dark Rides are some of the smallest claustrophobic spaces anywhere in the Resort. The TSMM show building is a largely open space with rows of screens that you switchback through. If anything, there is an area of the queue that is a large but very stuffy room full of switchbacks. As it is now, pre-fastpass, the line moves almost non-stop, but once Fastpass kicks in, the line will be excrutiating, and frankly probably not worth more than an hour wait.

Quote Originally Posted by composerboy View Post
    That's kind of confusing. The FL Dark Rides are some of the smallest claustrophobic spaces anywhere in the Resort. The TSMM show building is a largely open space with rows of screens that you switchback through. If anything, there is an area of the queue that is a large but very stuffy room full of switchbacks. As it is now, pre-fastpass, the line moves almost non-stop, but once Fastpass kicks in, the line will be excrutiating, and frankly probably not worth more than an hour wait.
    Except that there won't be Fastpass for Toy Story MIDWAY Mania! =D

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

That's kind of confusing.
    I know. But, I trust her sense of judgement over my own.

And thanks for that. We'll see in just a few hours (okay... 12 or 13 ) how this goes. Here's hoping for the best!

I did ask a Cast member about a Single rider line and they said there will be one.

• Animation Domination

Okay, thanks OC Bear.
    Did you go on TSMM today...I hope you had fun on it.

• Purple Crates ♥

was open this evening (7pm-ish) with about a 70 min wait.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's a music celebration!

Thanks to everybody who confirmed the soft opening! Because of this, I decided to brave the rush hour traffic to get to the parks after work. The 45-mile journey took 1hr and 15 minutes. Not too bad. I got in line at 8:35pm with a posted 40 minute wait. Before getting in line, I think I saw techskip and his awesome family about to exit the mercantile. I was on a ride vehicle in 38 minutes, so the posted wait time was pretty accurate.

Well I was there today with my friend and we saw the wait from a distance but figured it was just passholders. Didn't find out that it was a soft opening till we walked out and were stopped by someone at the gate asking how our day was there.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Went on it around 6:30 tonight. The Mr. Potato Head figure is really amazing. The ride was exceptionally fun on multiple leves and perfectly executed technically and creatively. Any nay-sayers complaining about the flats and lack of AA figures just don't get it. It's not that kind of ride. It's a video game that you ride through. The focus is on the fun game play and not the scenery. And it is very successful as that.
    No, the concerns were not about the number of audio animatronics in the attraction, the concern about this type of attraction is "What would distinguish itself from sitting at home on your couch playing wii?" If it's just a 3d video screen that you sit in front of, and it has less continuous motion than Buzz, it would be a let down. And it's NOT a ride through like Buzz, you stop, instead of continuosly moving through a shooting gallery like Buzz. Part of the concern was that it would all just be a wii game on a "stop and go" track, and just the panels for the 3d vision glasses? Or will Disney be adding additional sets/props as your vehicle moves you from one section to the next?

To say that "scenery is not important" really is in opposition to "giving guests a completely immersive experience." Which is WHY Paradise Pier has been so highly criticized since before DCA opened. Fortunately, last week, many micechatters had photos showing several set decorations and themeing besides just the 3d screens, and even exending into the exit area of the attraction. Those are EXACTLY the elements that DCA and Paradise Pier was severely lacking from opening day. It's really GOOD to see all the extras details in TSMM, and that it's NOT a continuation of builiding on the cheap.

Of course a few other interactive physical elements inside the attraction were not mentioned on the 1st WDW TSMM reports, and those interactive Physical elements ARE exactly the type of thing we expect to see from a Disney attraction. Those ARE what distinguishes it from sitting at home on a couch with the wii.

Its an all day soft opening today. Wait is 40 mins again. Not bad for a new ride! I must say.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    No, the concerns were not about the number of audio animatronics in the attraction, the concern about this type of attraction is "What would distinguish itself from sitting at home on your couch playing wii?" If it's just a 3d video screen that you sit in front of, and it has less continuous motion than Buzz, it would be a let down. And it's NOT a ride through like Buzz, you stop, instead of continuosly moving through a shooting gallery like Buzz. Part of the concern was that it would all just be a wii game on a "stop and go" track, and just the panels for the 3d vision glasses? Or will Disney be adding additional sets/props as your vehicle moves you from one section to the next?

To say that "scenery is not important" really is in opposition to "giving guests a completely immersive experience." Which is WHY Paradise Pier has been so highly criticized since before DCA opened. Fortunately, last week, many micechatters had photos showing several set decorations and themeing besides just the 3d screens, and even exending into the exit area of the attraction. Those are EXACTLY the elements that DCA and Paradise Pier was severely lacking from opening day. It's really GOOD to see all the extras details in TSMM, and that it's NOT a continuation of builiding on the cheap.

Of course a few other interactive physical elements inside the attraction were not mentioned on the 1st WDW TSMM reports, and those interactive Physical elements ARE exactly the type of thing we expect to see from a Disney attraction. Those ARE what distinguishes it from sitting at home on a couch with the wii.
    I don't why everyone is comparing TSMM to Wii. First off, to have the most fun you can play someone with a similar skill level. Also this is a 4d attraction. You have water sprayed and air blown at you. This is nothing like Wii.

I do not compare TSMM to Wii, it easily became my favorite ride at DCA. I rode it 4 times during soft opening.

So hopefully people do not compare TSMM to a video game because it isn't.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    Its an all day soft opening today. Wait is 40 mins again. Not bad for a new ride! I must say.
    Yes, I just came back from DCA. Soft opening open again! Rode it twice.

• DCA FTW!

Just came back from the soft opening. Rode it twice, it was awesome! Me and my bro loved it.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast