Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Missing an Angel

Disney going into the bakery buisness.

Sorry if this has been talked about already.

So I show up to work last night and in the BCML there are signs posted that starting June 16th parking in certain sections are not going to be available for parking anymore in the BCML. I asked a manager what was going on and she told me that a bakery is being built back there. I guess Disney is going to make "high end" pasteries and deserts to sell to resturants. I will take pictures of the progress as it proceeds.
    Last edited by Scurvy Pirate; 06-15-2008 at 05:06 PM.

• Cake Anyone?

Re: Disney going into the bakery buisness.

Is this really true? When I was in culinary school one of my classmates worked in the kitchens at Disneyland and he said a majority of the desserts were purchased premade and frozen and that was why everytime I bought an apple pie it was still some what frozen.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

This is pointing towards a rumor Al Lutz posted about a bakery being built in a parking lot (I'm guessing cast member parking). He said that it's being built to provide baked good for the parks
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

They had put the electrical in a few months ago. I think Disney feels that it would now be cheaper to bake their own rather then have it sent to the Resort by other companies.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Mmmmmm, I wonder if this means we'll see some new items around the park?

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Yes, there was an article about this awhile ago but I have not been able to locate it. I don't know if Al or Darkbeer wrote about this. It had to do with the fact that years ago Disneyland did all their baking on site. Then they shut that down and outsourced for baked goods. Now they are building in a parking lot out back a bakery and will once again be baking all their goods on site. I know I was interested in this because my daughter just finished her baking courses in culinary classes and she is interested in this development.

If anyone can find that article or if Darkbeer sees this thread, maybe that would answer some questions.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    Is this really true? When I was in culinary school one of my classmates worked in the kitchens at Disneyland and he said a majority of the desserts were purchased premade and frozen and that was why everytime I bought an apple pie it was still some what frozen.

I seem to recall that there was mention of refurbing the kitchen under New Orleans Square. I think that's where the park currently bakes their goods. So, maybe they are building a facility to cover the baking during the rehab of the existing kitchen.

• Missing an Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Step-Mom View Post
    Sorry if one of these pics are blurry. But here's your proof!

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/l...7/SANY0155.jpg

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Okay, what department is "N-19" the code for? Is that the Parking and Transportation people?

"DTD Participants" and "Facilities" are fairly self explanatory...

Todays assignment: Get a copy of the above cited map. Or an "aerial" photo from an upper deck with wide shot and a zoom in on all the "Dig Here ->" marks on the asphalt.

I'd put the bakery in one of the northern corners of the lot to leave the majority clear, so in case they get the urge to expand the M&F to the north they have a clear pad.

If they want to build out the property and eliminate ground parking lots at Timon and Simba, they need to double the M&F parking structure. Build a new wing over BCML first, then Pinnochio.

BFDF55: I'm betting that space is rather tight in the NOMK, since they are in a basement and have no place to expand to - but they always want to make the menus bigger and the items fancier. And any rehab work is going to squeeze that space even tighter. Move the Bakery out and make room for other things.

Not to mention the occasional flood when Pirates springs a leak...

Then add in that for any baking or pastry work they have to control the climate fairly tightly while running large exhaust fans and make-up air systems, and that's rather difficult to do properly in a basement. (And whenever ovens are involved occasionally you burn things...) A free-standing building they can open the doors and windows if needed.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Missing an Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Okay, what department is "N-19" the code for? Is that the Parking and Transportation people?

If they want to build out the property and eliminate ground parking lots at Timon and Simba, they need to double the M&F parking structure. Build a new wing over BCML first, then Pinnochio.
    --<<Bruce>>--
    My guess is that N-19 is RT&P.

There won't be any need to double the M&F's parking structure. There are plans to buld an 8 story parking structure in Pumba.

Also, Bruce. I don't know if you clicked on my link, but there is a picture of the map on the link.

• Minion

ORWEN: Oooooooh, this is such wonderful news!! I mean, maybe this means they'll invent a donut that's even better than a Krispy Kreme and then whenever I go to Disneyland I'll have one more thing to--

ORGOCH: --put inta that big mouth a yers that'll keep ya quiet fer a few more minutes!! I swear, sister!! If eatin' was career ya could git paid fer, ya'd be a billionare by now!!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

I just love fresh baked goods. I for one, can NOT wait!!!
    Just countin' the days til the next visit!

• DL ODV CM

"DTD Participants" and "Facilities" are fairly self explanatory...
    N-19 is the name of a warehouse building that consists mostly of Entertainment.

I'd put the bakery in one of the northern corners of the lot to leave the majority clear, so in case they get the urge to expand the M&F to the north they have a clear pad.
    Yah, that would be the logical plan...but from the map that I saw, it would appear that they choose to put it in the section closest to the structure. In turn pushing available CM parking much further away. Yep...I'm so not looking forward to this.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

• Minion

Fresh churro's? Non-frozen Funnel cakes? Whoot!

• I'm not really here

Here is the article in which Al mentioned the bakery:
    http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al010808d.htm

Excerpt:
    In the oven
    There's also some good news coming in '08 for Disneyland food service. No, they aren't bringing back the Tahitian Terrace. But in a return to the way Walt did it, Disneyland will be building a new bakery facility capable of handling all of the daily needs of the parks and hotels. Disneyland had its own bakery in the 1950's and 60's tucked into the back of the Plaza Inn, and fresh bread, rolls and pastries were dispatched around the park from that location every morning.

As the park grew in the '70s and '80s hamburger buns and breads were brought in by outside suppliers, although the bakery continued to churn out fresh rolls, cookies and pastries for many Park locations. The in-house bakery was eliminated entirely in the '90s to save on labor costs, and quality generally suffered. But now Disneyland has grown big enough, with more growth planned, that the finances of its own facility make sense again. Plus, the Disneyland Foods department would love to have the ability to more closely control the quality and consistency of the baked products served in the parks.

The location of the new bakery isn't in either park however. It's actually slated for a plot of land on the western edge of the employee parking lot adjacent to the Mickey & Friends parking structure. The initial facility will be 10,000 square feet, but it is being designed to be easily expanded to 25,000 square feet as demand grows. The land on the opposite side of the wall where the bakery will be built later this year is proposed for a new Marriott hotel property, so hopefully the guests there won't mind the smell of freshly baked dinner rolls destined for the Blue Bayou, or a Disney Cruise Line ship or two.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast