• "I Break Things"

The Lucky Friday the 13th report (no pictures)

I need to start this thread with a story that is actually not related to Disneyland, it will all make sense in a moment. Sit back, relax, and enjoy. For some Friday the 13th is a bad omen, others see it as good luck. I am proud to be one of those few members of the black sheep!

Today, was interesting. I woke up, got ready for work, tried to start my car and my car would not start. I kept at it, thinking it was a bad battery, and finally it started. I made it all the way to work. When I parked and flipped the key I heard a loud clicking sound. I knew what it was, but didn't have a wrench to disconnect the battery... so I started the car back up. I quickly told a co-worker to watch the car (keys in, car started) and I was about to run in the office when my co-worker replied "you car's smoking". I turned around to see the car billowing white smoke. This time when I reached in and turned the key the car was silent (engine had been running). I lifted the hood, billowing white smoke, and when I looked I knew the starter had burned itself out. My boss obviously gave me some time off, I called AAA but my membership had expired so I had to renew that first. Towed the car to a well known garage, and then my wife gave me a ride back to work.

Now for the explanation of how this could in any way be considered lucky. I have a 10 minute commute by street from my apartment to my office. I do not have a cell phone, and there are only a handful of businesses and payphones along the way. My car died in a location where I had friends and a phone. I did not realize my AAA had expired... better to find out now then when we are on a trip and stuck on the side of a road. My job allows me to have less of a work load in the morning, so I was able to address this right away. Because of the location I was able to have it towed to a mechanic I knew and trusted, and I was able to be picked up by my wife and kids without a great deal of hassle. Most importantly this happened to me, and not my wife and kids. I would be terrified if this had happened to them. The mechanic said I was lucky, just the starter, actually not expensive (labor is about as much as the part and these guys are honest). And I was able to spend some extra time with the kids.

The rest of the day had it's own series of interesting events, so I decided to see what it would be like to visit the park on the 13th. Wow... we never made it to Disneyland we just stayed in DCA, here's why.

I had planned on taking the kids on the carousel so we walked over to Paradise Pier. The moment we walked to the carousel I noticed TSMM running, when I inquired it was a 25 minute wait. So we stood in line (I will do a separate report on the details of the queue). We make it all the way to the front and they inform me the baby has to come out of the carrier, and needs to be able to sit upright. She's 5 months... and she started sitting up LAST WEEK... So I sit her down, set my son and backpack down next to her. A CM asked me to move the backpack to verify the baby can sit on her own... and the baby sits and giggles at everyone (very very cute). So again, luck, not only was it open but because of the baby's new trick we were all able to go as a family.

After this little ride baby wanted to eat so I took the older ones on the carousel. We just missed the rotation, so we were first on the next one and all 3 picked the animal they wanted. Hearing their giggles and squeals each time they saw Mommy and baby... priceless... they were so excited coming off.

At this point it was getting late and they were getting hungry so we headed over to the farm to get cheese sticks (for some inexplicable reason they LOVE cheese sticks) and fries for my son. For those who don't know my son has slight Autism, and is extremely picky about food. He hasn't had cheese in years (last week I managed to talk him into a grilled cheese at Knott's but even that was a shock). He LOVES fries. But to our shock, he grabbed a couple cheese sticks and started eating. He just decided today was the day, and started eating cheese sticks even though his beloved fries were right there! As if this wasn't already a shock, we ended up sitting in the front row of the Electrical Parade on accident.

The parade was fun, but fate wasn't done yet. We had close encounters with several of the Alice floats (Turtle, Snail, and Bee) Pan and Hook blasted us with a cannon, Smee came right up next to us, and most important Snow White walked over to us... I was shocked...

While it would have been nice to have a camera, at the same time a camera honestly would have prevented me from spending time with the family, and just enjoying the moment. This has always been a very weird day for me, but today was an exception to even that rule. I would have said it was all a mental thing, except I didn't look at a calender and realize what the day/date was until I sat down at my laptop!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Re: The Lucky Friday the 13th report (no pictures)

Wow! Awesome report! I'm glad to see that so many good things came out of a supposedly unlucky day. Also, I am happy you and your family had such a good time. Thanks for posting all about it.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

I am very happy that your car stopped where it did, like you said where you have friends so you could use a phone. my hubby doesnt have a cell phone so i am always hoping he doesnt have car trouble. wow, cant believe your 5 month old is sitting up all by herself!! great to hear you had such a good time at DCA with your family.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

YAY! This is all great news and very cute and exciting.

The park seemed rather empty last night for a Friday night... did anyone else think the same?

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

What a great series of events!!! Im glad to hear what started out as a not so fun day ended like this!

C'mon everybody, here we go!

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Very nice TR! You are becoming quite the master, pictures or not!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

I don't think the day was so lucky for me because I looked right at TSMM and decided not to go on thinking it was select APs only just to find out as we are walking out it was a soft opening. Then had a couple rides break down on us while were almost about to get on.

• 1375 miles away

Obviously, you were making good use of the old adage "every cloud has a silver lining".

Great report even without the pics but I sure missed the faces of your little ones! I do think you are right though. Sometimes going without the camera keeps you from missing some of the better things going on right in front of you!
    Me,DH,DS-23 ,DD-14

Our Long Awaited, Long Awaited Trip Report November 2010
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...post1056434199
    Our First Trip to WDW December 2009
    http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...16-2009-a.html
    November 2008 trip report! Updated 1/13/09!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...23-2008-a.html

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by mariezp View Post
    Obviously, you were making good use of the old adage "every cloud has a silver lining".
    I have always been one to "roll with the punches" and things usually work out. I've found that getting upset usually doesn't do anything, and in some cases only makes it worse. Van was busted, but I renewed my AAA, had the mechanic of my choice, was able to take care of it right away without adversely affecting my employer, and got to see the kids even if it was only for a few extra minutes! Everything else was icing on the cake.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"