Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

Happy 49th Birthday today to the Matterhorn Bobsleds and the Monorail

I just realized that these two wonderful attractions turn 49 years old today. I wonder if Disneyland is going to celebrate their 50th anniversary? Submarine voyage just turned 49 on June 6th.

Happy Birthday!!!!!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Happy 49th Birthday today to the Matterhorn Bobsleds and the Monorail

Happy Birthday to the E Ticket trio!

• Minion

I hope Disney has a huge celebration of the original E-Ticket thrill ride. If it wasn't for the Matterhorn, there would be no Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, or Tower of Terror. Happy Birthday, to the one that started the themed thrill ride.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Awesome! Happy Birthday!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Happy Birthday to these rides indeed, still classic and awesome! It would be great to see something done for the fiftieth anniversary of these classic rides.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Wonderful World

I'm back MiceChat

• is too darn hot.

And hopefully the Mark VII will be running for its 50th.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Not only the landmark E-ticket attraction, Matterhorn mountain is a true Southern California landmark!

A glimpse of it at least used to turn an ordinary drive down the "Santa BanAna" freeway into a goose-bump moment.

And here's to the original Disneyland-Alweg monorail system. After seeing what's happened, and reading Al's latest update, it's so sad to see what's become of its successor.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Banned User

My hopes of Matterhorn getting a Space Mountain-style refurbishment for it's 50th looks bleaker and bleaker. A ride that was a first and paved the way for everything after it deserves some special treatment for it's birthday. And no, that special treatment isn't a dream fastpass dangled around it's neck.

A happy birthday to the Submarine Voyage and Monorail as well.
    Last edited by stitchon; 06-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.

• I'm not really here

And many happy returns to the ride trio that made history together.
    Matterhorn: 1st tubular steel roller coaster
    Monorail: 1st daily operating monorail system in the western hemisphere
    Submarines: Largest peacetime fleet of submarines (at time they opened)

Truly visionary rides and still great 49 years later.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    And here's to the original Disneyland-Alweg monorail system. After seeing what's happened, and reading Al's latest update, it's so sad to see what's become of its successor.

-- Barry
    this is what happens when people plan around aesthetics and old blueprints instead of looking at the actual equipment and designing for function.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Hall Of Promise

I just realized the Matterhorn was my first coaster experience, after realizing I went to Disneyland long before ever going to Magic Mountain to ride the Viper, which I thought was my first roller coaster experience for the longest time. It makes sense to me since then I didn't think of The Matterhorn Bobsleds to be a roller coaster but the large snow covered mountain inside Disneyland and usually the first ride I saw from outside the park.

Well, now that I have more of a keen eye now than I did years ago I would love for them to completely rework the outside of the mountain. When seeing pictures of the real mountain the image itself looks scary and foreboding. I think it looks this way not only from the shape of the peek by also because of the dark gray color in the rock against the contrast of the snow. The Matterhorn at Disneyland is looking rather light gray and soft. The edgy sharpness the real mountain has is missing on the Disneyland mountain as well. I would just love to see this present on the large Disneyland rock someday to complement the sounds of Harold heard from the hub.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    I just realized the Matterhorn was my first coaster experience, after realizing I went to Disneyland long before ever going to Magic Mountain to ride the Viper, which I thought was my first roller coaster experience for the longest time. It makes sense to me since then I didn't think of The Matterhorn Bobsleds to be a roller coaster but the large snow covered mountain inside Disneyland and usually the first ride I saw from outside the park.
    Thinking back on it, the Matterhorn was my 1st coaster, too! it wasn't Knott's Corkscrew! It's quite a tribute to say that a coaster is so well themed themed that you don't even think of it as a coaster. But for DCA, no one will ever think of California Screamin' THAT way!

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

The first time that I ever saw the Matterhorn(August 1980), I had serious goosebumps and couldn't wait to ride.

When I saw the Matterhorn for the 2nd time (June 2000), I had the same goosebumps. I love this iconic attraction....along with the monorail and the subs!

• dream out loud

There have been some small events - sometimes ones you have to pay for, and/or merchandise (read: pins) released for some of the anniversaries of late like Pirates (40), Alice (50), and Tiki Room (45) - may be more but the point is it seems likely there will be something to celebrate the 50th birthday of the Matty, subs, and Monorail.

But I agree - hopefully they have those monorails working!!! What a disaster! The pins for monorail red and blue were available months ago and sold out, but yet no one has even had a ride yet!

Finally, my first trip to Disneyland, I thought I remembered seeing a Matterhorn at Disney World (I grew up in Ohio and went to WDW 3-4 times growing up) and dismissed it as a minor ride that we skipped in WDW and I'd skip here. Was I wrong!! Now it's my favorite because A. It's the only one - the only Disneyland/World with a huge mountain (in any Disney park til Exp. Evrst) B. It is a really fun ride with great views and C. It just looks so cool towering over everything there. Perfect!

P.S. Do the subs still count as 50? It's like when you broke up with your boy/girlfriend for a few months and then got back together...does your same "anniversary" still count?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast