• "I Break Things"

How are complaints handled at Disneyland?

I worked for the mouse for many years, so I am well aware of what happens if your name comes up in a complaint. To my credit I only had 2, both for non OG jokes, and in both cases it was warranted (although in both cases it was also noted they were very funny jokes).

So many would logically ask, why am I asking what seems to be a simple question. It is ironically because of an experience at Knott's. Last week I wrote about an experience in Camp Snoopy involving a restroom that would not have held up to the standards of a New York Subway. Disgusting was an understatement. At first I thought I hit them at an odd time, right after some mystery rush of people or something. Not one to complain I just said something to a nearby employee and went my way. A few hours later one of the little ones had to go. To my shock not only had it not been cleaned... it was actually worse which until that point I thought was impossible! Honestly shocked I said something to several employees, and posted a formal complaint at their information center. Being that it was Camp Snoopy, I was not alone in my complaints... I noticed several parents who did the same. This weekend was the first weekend my wife had been to Knott's. While walking through Camp Snoopy I had that oh so familiar tug on my shorts. Holding my nose, expecting the worst, we walked over to the restroom. It was immaculate... Martha Stuart herself would be proud (I could quote Full Metal Jacket but I like not being banned from Micechat). This was a good surprise, but maybe I hit it at just the right time. Over the course of several hours we went back several times... always clean, overly clean. This evening I spoke to an old friend who works at Knott's. They had so many complaints over that bathroom that they went nuts... over cleaned it if you will... not just that one bathroom.... all of them!

Now if Knott's can do this over a complaint about a restroom... what took so long to move a smoking section out of the Tomorrowland Train Station exit? I have read countless threads, and heard countless complaints. I held my tongue, but City Hall saw this as a specific trend. Those few I know who work there actually started keeping track of how many per day complained about this issue. Knott's gets a bunch of complaints in a week about a bad restroom and they go nuts. Disney gets complaints about a bad smoking location over several months and now, just now, they move it... please tell me I read this wrong.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Re: How are complaints handled at Disneyland?

I was shocked when I went to Disneyland yestorday the desinated smoking area sign is still by the train station and so are the smokers I thought they moved them i guess not

Any complainers are sent behind Splash Mountain to be shot and buried at TSI.

I feel compelled to point out that in this specific comparison, you're talking about something that can likely be immediately fixed by the lowest rung on the employment chain (cleaning a bathroom) versus something that is an official change in park operation, albeit small. It probably required a go-ahead by someone in authority, planning to figure out where the new area would go, change of signage/seating and I don't know if smoking areas are marked on park maps or anything, but if so, that needed to be changed too.

Now granted, this still needn't take months, but the bathrooms at Knotts could have been building up to that state for quite some time (unless you know otherwise) and you just happened to join a chorus of complaints right before the problem was seen to. This doesn't excuse DLR for letting a problem sit when they could fix it, of course, but it doesn't seem quite fair to me to hold these two situations up as equivalents - especially since an inconvenient smoking area is annoying, but isn't really a health issue on the same level as standing rubbish.

Anyway, as always, just my two cents.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    Any complainers are sent behind Splash Mountain to be shot and buried at TSI.
    Close (geographically) but unnecessarily brutal and barbaric.

They just send them to Pooh to be bored to death.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Close (geographically) but unnecessarily brutal and barbaric.

They just send them to Pooh to be bored to death.
    True. Cant believe they allowed that ride past inspection. It makes some of the weaker rides at DCA look like Splash Mountain.

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I'm going to have to agree that cleaning a bathroom and moving a smoking area can't really be compared, but I am surprised it took them so long. On the other hand, I didn't know so many people were complaining about it.

That's impressive that Knott's did that with the bathroom though, didn't know they had it in them.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandkitty View Post
    I was shocked when I went to Disneyland yestorday the desinated smoking area sign is still by the train station and so are the smokers I thought they moved them i guess not
    They don't move until the 17th.

Forget Disney Magic...Universal performs MIRACLES!!!

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

I think it might be the amount of red tape (I'm sure you have a good knowledge of that techskip) Disney needs to go through to get anything done is quite a bit more then that of Knott's. I wouldn't be surprised if aproval needed to go through TDA, Imagineering, and Glendale to simply move a sign.

It would seem that the reason why it took so long to move the Smoking area is simply because of the Nemo Queue as well as the Its a small world Holiday extended queue. Over the holiday season They were planned and ready to use the motor boat cruise area for the Nemo Queue. As the Holidays came and went with the most crowded days, the nemo queue never went back into the Motor boat area which was common every morning in Summer 2007. Now that the Nemo Queue ussually tops out at around 75- 90 minutes due to increased reliability on the Submarines part and a more exerienced queue the Nemo Queue will most likely never reach the Motor boat area again, hence after a christmas and spring break without the line extending into that area the higher ups were now able to use this area. Why june 17th? My guess is they will unleash a new park map with the new smoking changes reflected.

• DL ODV CM

Indeed, moving the smoking area takes more coordination then one would think. Ever since the subs re-opened, that area was on standby mode to become additional Nemo queue should it be needed, so the first thing that needed to be done was for the folks at TDA to become convinced that they could do without the area. Then you need to bring facilities in to coordinate the creation and installation of new signage. New maps would have to be printed to reflect the change. I would also imagine that custodial would have to be informed at some point so that they could adjust staffing should need be.

Even though it's a relatively small change in the grand operation it still takes planning and coordination.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

Disneyocracy at it's finest.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Mickey Mouse Slave

well, i guess if its about a CM, th word gets out pretty quick. I caught my first complaint a few days i started working from City Hall and the lead/manager came out asking me for my side of the story of what went on...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• :)

Well, Knott's version of TDA is two portable's underneath ghostrider, so maybe they just yell instead of going through several corporate departments before making a decision.