Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Re: The Walt Disney Company: Is not Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    Parks and Resorts: $5,497 (WDW/Tokyo Disney are our two money makers)
    Just one correction ... Tokyo Disney would not count as they only get a licensing fee for the resort.

• Don't lets be silly! šoš

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I agree with your main point that WDC is much more beyond DL. To me that's pretty obvious and I really don't see how anyone could not see that. Anyway, I really don't see how that means that DL should be overlooked with regard to spending though, and what you say has nothing to do with DLR's profitability, which I would argue is much more important than its gross income.

WDW brings in a ton of money, and costs a ton to run. Any more increase in gas costs, and WDW will be losing money for the company, DLR is at absolutely no risk of doing so, thus, if one resort were to close it would be WDW not DLR. That's the reality.

I also disagree with your assesment of Iger's compensation. Nobody is worth that much money. This kind of BS is destroying our country, thinking CEOs deserve huge salaries because the company they run makes money. I don't see how someone taking a extremely popular and recognized name like Disney and basically just continuing to meet expectations should be that revered. I don't think CEO's deserve so much money when all they are doing is acting as sheppard for the work of others and standing on the shoulders of greatness.

What kind of idiot would you have to be to make WDC lose money? What is your standard for what WDC should be making? I do not believe the stock has been overly impressive at all so I don't think that he deserves nearly that much money. What did he ever do to deserve that, have a role in producing a couple hit ABC shows, inherit the work of a genius like Walt and now he deserves 27 million a year, while workers are losing their houses and can't afford gas to get to work. I'm sorry but until American's start to pull their heads out of their rear ends, this is going to become a third world county within the next 20 years, and WDC won't have anyone to reap these huge profits off of, at least in this country.
    I want to hit on a few quick points. I'd need to go back and look at Proxy statements in order to find out what how much money the company started making. I believe that he made the WDC somewhere about 15 billion more. 20 so million isn't much to that. I'm sure you're a smart person, so I don't feel like I need to get into why managers (CEOs CFOs, COOs) who seem to do less, get paid more...

I would also like to stress, that if you look at the stock, the WDC is continuously bring more stoke out, and in doing so, selling more, but lowering the value (or splinting their stock). So it may seem like it hasn't gone up, when really they keep bringing it out. Once again I don't have the numbers.

Disneyland is so far from making the money WDW Resort is making it's not really funny. People go for weeks at a time to WDW, while the majority of people at DLR are weekenders. One again, you can read into the WDC 10-K if you'd like.

If you don't think the WDC can lose money, feel free to read their risk factors. There are many reasons why one wouldn't want to become a Stockholder in the WDC.

last and least, It's not my place to tell the WDC what to do with their money.

3rd world county? ...really?

Anywho, point is: Disneyland isn't the main concern of the WDC... And it's not the main money maker of the Company by any means. Feel free to read over their 10-K/Q/Proxy Statements
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 06-16-2008 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Just one correction ... Tokyo Disney would not count as they only get a licensing fee for the resort.
    Yes, but it's quite a fee Buy the way, that is the number on income from all Parks/Resorts from their 2007 10-K (yearly report).

Both Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney aren't owned by Disney... Though they bring in a lot of money, because the WDC doesn't pay to keep them running.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    It is not the Oriental Land Company's right to own and operate the park as they see fit. Disney had doubts that another company would operate a park to the high standards that Disney had come to be known for at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. So to ensure that everything was the same across the board, Disney made it a requirement that the Oriental Land Company do things "by the book that Walt wrote", as you put it. These requirements probably play little into the picture now with the success of the resort and its way of operating, but they are there.
    You can read over all of this in their Proxy (not sure of the year). Though Disney doesn't dictate how much money the OLC puts into the Park and Resort... They may have a minimum, but they sure don't have a max. I've never been to the Part or Resort, but from friends who have, it's been stated that they don't spare any expense.

Also, none of the international parks are fully owned by Disney. Including Disneyland Resort Paris, as per French law.
    Disney doesn't fully own it's own Company, hahaha. Though you are very right (something I missed), turns out they only own 51% of Eruo Disney.
    Last edited by DisneyMouse; 06-16-2008 at 07:40 PM.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Wow DM, you've definitely been doing your homework. I'm embarrased to say that I'm lazy about reading the proxies that come in the mail.

I agree that the Parks/Resorts are a small part of WDC. When all is said and done, it will be the revenue for all of WDC that will matter most to the shareholders.

Quote Originally Posted by Legally Brunette View Post
    Wow DM, you've definitely been doing your homework. I'm embarrased to say that I'm lazy about reading the proxies that come in the mail.
    You shareholder you! It's all your fault! I was thinking of getting one share simply to get their 10-K/proxies in the mail!

•   
    • Senior Minion

You shareholder you! It's all your fault! I was thinking of getting one share simply to get their 10-K/proxies in the mail!
    Hey, if I knew that you got such a thrill out of reading them, I would have saved them for you. Between my accounts, my husband's accounts & our son's accounts there is a forest somewhere missing lots of trees from the proxies for each position. I just don't have time to read them all. I like to wait until the analysts on the street summarize them in their latest research reports. Although, I never knew I could come onto MiceChat to find someone like yourself who would summarize it for me .

Quote Originally Posted by Legally Brunette View Post
    I just don't have time to read them all. I like to wait until the analysts on the street summarize them in their latest research reports. Although, I never knew I could come onto MiceChat to find someone like yourself who would summarize it for me .
    Hahaha, I haven't even summed up when you'd be voting on Though I must admit, the Walt Disney Company has the best 10-Ks out there! They add so much to it, and spend so much on it! Keep the Proxies, and send me one of their 10-Ks (annual report)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

You can read over all of this in their Proxy (not sure of the year). Though Disney doesn't dictate how much money the OLC puts into the Park and Resort... They may have a minimum, but they sure don't have a max. I've never been to the Part or Resort, but from friends who have, it's been stated that they don't spare any expense.
    There is not going to be any sort of set dollar amount. It is not a specific, black and white answer. It is an obligation to uphold and maintain standards that Disney believes will not cause harm to the Disney name.

Disney doesn't fully own it's own Company, hahaha. Though you are very right (something I missed), turns out they only own 51% of Eruo Disney.
    The Walt Disney Company has never owned that much of Euro Disney SCA. Currently, the major shareholders of Euro Disney SCA are The Walt Disney Company (39.8% via EDL Holding Company) and Prince Alwaleed (10%).

There is not going to be any sort of set dollar amount. It is not a specific, black and white answer. It is an obligation to uphold and maintain standards that Disney believes will not cause harm to the Disney name.
    No, you're very right, it is a percentage...

The Walt Disney Company has never owned that much of Euro Disney SCA. Currently, the major shareholders of Euro Disney SCA are The Walt Disney Company (39.8% via EDL Holding Company) and Prince Alwaleed (10%).
    The Company has a 51% effective ownership interest in the operations of Euro Disney and a 43% ownership interest in the operations of Hong Kong Disneyland which are both consolidated under the provisions of FIN 46R, Consolidation of Variable Interest Entities.

Where are you getting your information from? I would love to read the documentation. You can find all the information I've stated in the Walt Disney Company 2008 10-Q (second quarter).

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The Company has a 51% effective ownership interest in the operations of Euro Disney and a 43% ownership interest in the operations of Hong Kong Disneyland which are both consolidated under the provisions of FIN 46R, Consolidation of Variable Interest Entities.

Where are you getting your information from? I would love to read the documentation. You can find all the information I've stated in the Walt Disney Company 2008 10-Q (second quarter).
    My information comes from Euro Disney SCA. http://corporate.disneylandparis.com...xhtml#contentj Take a look at "Shareholding Structure". Despite not being the majority shareholder, the way Euro Disney SCA is set up The Walt Disney Company gets control.

My information comes from Euro Disney SCA. http://corporate.disneylandparis.com...xhtml#contentj Take a look at "Shareholding Structure". Despite not being the majority shareholder, the way Euro Disney SCA is set up The Walt Disney Company gets control.
    hahaha, that's great. Now I understand. Euro Disney SCA is the Operator of Euro Disney... not the owners. The Walt Disney Company not only owns the majority, but also holds 39.8% via EDL Holding Company of the Euro Disney SCA...

This is their way of being in the Stock Market over there... I'd advise you to read over the Walt Disney Company's 10-Q.

That just brings a whole other company the WDC has it's finger in. Which really makes that money the CEO gets worth it!

Point still, Disneyland is such a small part of the Walt Disney Company. Heck, look at what the WDC went through just for Euro Disney... beats what they've done for Disneyland recently... I'm not even going to get into how the 5 Billion is going to DCA, and not Disneyland. I'm sure I don't need to point out that DCA and Disneyland are two different Parks, even though they're on the same resort.

• Senior Minion

I still don't buy that he deserves that money. That site says ED SCA lost 41 million Euros last year. Ooh, get me in on that investment. I aknowledge it's a small loss relatively but owning a company that's losing money on the books is nothing to exactly brag about. My understanding is the only way Dis is going to make this money back is through the land grants they recieved through the French government.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

I still don't buy that he deserves that money. That site says ED SCA lost 41 million Euros last year. Ooh, get me in on that investment. I aknowledge it's a small loss relatively but owning a company that's losing money on the books is nothing to exactly brag about. My understanding is the only way Dis is going to make this money back is through the land grants they recieved through the French government.
    The other thing is Disney is working a new Park over there. Look at how much DCA lost during the first 5 years of operation...

• Senior Minion

Yeah, that's true, I can't argue that the Studios park is not the problem in Paris, it clearly is, but I think it has hurt DLP as a whole, while DCA helped DLR as whole. Disney has made a lot of mistakes there, so I understand continued problems, and I still do believe the Paris park was a good idea for the long term.

Anyway, that's also why I also disagree about yout point about the money for DCA. Obviously they are different parks, but it is a resort now, and the reason that DCA is getting the money is its potential as a resort as a whole, and not just to make DCA a better park. They want people on property for several days spending all their money on Disney offerings and staying in Disney hotels just like WDW. I don't think you can judge anything at the DLR without looking at it through the prism of the resort concept.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Anyway, that's also why I also disagree about yout point about the money for DCA. Obviously they are different parks, but it is a resort now, and the reason that DCA is getting the money is its potential as a resort as a whole, and not just to make DCA a better park. They want people on property for several days spending all their money on Disney offerings and staying in Disney hotels just like WDW. I don't think you can judge anything at the DLR without looking at it through the prism of the resort concept.
    You've hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree with you anymore. Disneyland is more so the DLR now, then simply that of Disneyland; and I think a lot of people miss that point. In all honesty, I truly thing the 5billion is truly going to help the Disneyland Resort as a whole. I don't think it's quite up to what WDW is, and it's a shame the WDC puts so much more into that resort then the original. Then again, I think most of us here are tend to favor one Resort over then other... =)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast