Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: The Walt Disney Company: Is not Disneyland

Yeah, it's really all about the potential for DLR as a whole. I think one of the interesting things that I've noticed about DLR is how many Southern Californians actually stay on property now, and if there is more there to do there, this will only increase. I never really thought that the resort aspect would be that appealing to locals before it was built, but I personally know several families that like to do this. I guess people like to feel like they can take a short drive and go to somewhere totally seperate from their everyday life for a few days. It's also a good deal for locals as they can buy an AP use it while they stay on property for a few days, and then come back the rest of the year as well.

I also think that many people at Dis take a lot of pride in DL because of its history and the fact that many of them grew up with the park themselves as kids. As great as WDW is, DL is clearly still the most historic, the standard bearer and in many ways, the flagship for what Magic Kingdom parks should be, and for that reason, I think it should get the attention it deverves. In some ways this is the good side of synergy, it should mean that they recognize the value that indivdual pieces like DLR, contribute to the goodwill and brand recognition that TWDC has as a whole, and why it's important that there is quality in every product that has the Disney name.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

I couldn't have said it better myself Uncle Bob!! Here's to our History, and those CMs who take pride in it!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    hahaha, that's great. Now I understand. Euro Disney SCA is the Operator of Euro Disney... not the owners. The Walt Disney Company not only owns the majority, but also holds 39.8% via EDL Holding Company of the Euro Disney SCA...
    "Euro Disney S.C.A., the holding company of Euro Disney Group ("The Group"), Euro Disney Associés S.C.A. and EDL Hôtels S.C.A., the operating companies of Disneyland® Resort Paris, are each a French société en commandite par actions."

If Disney is the majority shareholder in any of the companies in France, they are in violation of French law. After seeing the success of Tokyo Disneyland, Michael Eisner wanted sole ownership of Euro Disney Resort. That was not a legal option, outside of more special treatment. I believe the term "effective ownership" comes from the way they company is organized and governed, where it is like The Walt Disney Company owns 51% when they actually do not.

"THE GENERAL PARTNERS
    Towards third parties, the general partners have unlimited liability for all debts and liabilities of the company. For disclosure of the general partners and the operating companies of Disneyland Resort Paris, see "Group Structure"."

Source: Corporate Bodies

"HOLDING COMPANY
    Euro Disney S.C.A. (the "Company")

Euro Disney S.C.A. is the holding company of the Group and is the listed company. The main asset of the Company is its investment in 82% of the share capital of its subsidiary, Euro Disney Associés S.C.A. ("EDA"). The general partner of Euro Disney S.C.A. is EDL Participations S.A.S., a subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company (TWDC) and the gérant of Euro Disney S.C.A. is Euro Disney S.A.S., which is also a subsidiary of the TWDC. Mr Karl L. Holz is the Chairman & Chief Executive Officer of the Euro Disney S.A.S."

Source: Group Structure

That just brings a whole other company the WDC has it's finger in. Which really makes that money the CEO gets worth it!
    The number of companies that The Walt Disney Company has its fingers in is absolutely incredible. If I remember correctly, The Walt Disney Company does not even own Disneyland, they own The Walt Disney World Company, which owns Disneyland.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I still don't buy that he deserves that money. That site says ED SCA lost 41 million Euros last year. Ooh, get me in on that investment. I aknowledge it's a small loss relatively but owning a company that's losing money on the books is nothing to exactly brag about. My understanding is the only way Dis is going to make this money back is through the land grants they recieved through the French government.
    It is hardly prudent to blame Bob Iger, who would not even join the company until the Capital Cities/ABC acquisition, for the Euro Disney mess.

The role of a good leader can make or break an organization. That's how the company that built Walt Disney World without virtually no debt became the troubled studio of the late 1970s/early 1980s. Its also how the creator of one the world's largest media companies got a huge vote of "No Confidence".

Yeah, that's true, I can't argue that the Studios park is not the problem in Paris, it clearly is, but I think it has hurt DLP as a whole, while DCA helped DLR as whole. Disney has made a lot of mistakes there, so I understand continued problems, and I still do believe the Paris park was a good idea for the long term.
    The problems of Walt Disney Studios Park can also be traced back to the initial Euro Disney mess. Euro Disney SCA while performing well, was simply not ready to open another park. In the 1980s promises were made and another park had to open.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Are you sure there are 1.6 Billion stock holders?
    You're quite right, I was counting how many votes where used.
    Whoo Hooo! I am now many stockholders!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Rock Star Minion

Wow, thanks for the info! I never knew there was so much more to The Walt Disney Company! Who knew they made movies, too??? Or owned ABC and a number of radio stations? Anyone here? I doubt it. We're just a bunch of ignorant Disneyland fans!

[stopping to wipe the sarcasm dripping off my face...]
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

Come on, I thought everyone new that Mickey owns Disneyland and TWDC just has a lease, and pays Mic to use he and his friends likenesses and his park. I heard Mickey's not planning on renewing the lease since he's unhappy with management.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Come on, I thought everyone new that Mickey owns Disneyland and TWDC just has a lease, and pays Mic to use he and his friends likenesses and his park. I heard Mickey's not planning on renewing the lease since he's unhappy with management.
    Ooh, now you're gonna get it -- telling company secrets like that.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

I like the numbers, though, sarcasm cleaned up.
    Important to note that one share is only a sliver away from 0 shares, compared to the billions of shares outstanding. Owning one share doesn't mean you own the company and that you get to tell leadership what you think and they'll simply do it.
    Get yourself a billion dollars' worth of shares, and leadership will listen.

• Senior Minion

Cool, I just gotta figure out where I left that 100 billion dollar bill. I know it's around here somewhere.
    -Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

"5 billion dollars" into DCA? You can point that out in the 10-K/10-Q/whatevers? I've heard only 1 billion.

And, I would look at how much DCA lost in its first five years, but I don't think that is publicly available, either. If you know where it is, please link it. (I actually want to know.) TWDC prefers to combine the whole "resort" (small letters emphasized) P&L together, so as not to disclose how much DCA lost for it.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Get yourself a billion dollars' worth of shares, and leadership will listen.
    I think you would need several billion dollars worth of stock to really get yourself heard.

• Senior Minion

I was wondering about that myself Sed regarding the 5 billion, I hadn't heard that number either, but when you think about it, it could be true if it's for the whole resort. If that's for all the plans for the next ten years or so, it actually sounds about right. I've heard 1.2 billion has already been approved for DCA phase 1. Then I'd think they'd be up to 2 billion if phase 2 happens. Supposedly the new Tomorrow Land that Tony Baxter has proposed is supposedly in the 800 mill range. Then there's a new DL Hotel probably coming, another few hundred million and the new Pumba lot if Anaheim won't pay for that, another few hundred million. Add a Downtown Disney expansion and a couple more hotels and misc other projects around the resort and you get right around that 5 billion dollar investment in Anaheim. It wouldn't surprise me if it is a number they threw out there at least to impress people, and intimidate the Suncal developers, though I never heard it mentioned either.
    -Walt Disney

The Walt Disney Co. is comprised of four components:
    Media Networks: $7,781
    Parks and Resorts: $5,497 (WDW/Tokyo Disney are our two money makers)
    Studio Entertainment: $4,463
    Consumer Products: $1,421
    (Revenues in Billions for six months ended 07)

Not to pull hairs.. but you meant the revenue figures are in the millions, unless you belive Disney made 19 Trillion Dollars in 6 months... Disney made 7781 Million on Media Networks in 6 months not 7781 billion....

Also someone mentioned you would need to own more than a billion dollars worth of disney stock to be heard.. If you owned a billion dollars worth, you'd own around 1.5 percent of the company with it's current market cap of about 66 billion.. You'd also be the third highest shareholder behind Jobs and Eisner..
    Last edited by Chroniq; 06-19-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: More Information

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I've heard 1.2 billion has already been approved for DCA phase 1. Then I'd think they'd be up to 2 billion if phase 2 happens.
    I'm pretty sure the $1.2 billion for Disney's California Adventure is for Phase I and Phase II. Disney made Phase I look bigger by letting the press keep quoting the $1.2 billion figure back when they announced parts of Phase I.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

You've hit the nail on the head! I couldn't agree with you anymore. Disneyland is more so the DLR now, then simply that of Disneyland; and I think a lot of people miss that point. In all honesty, I truly thing the 5billion is truly going to help the Disneyland Resort as a whole.
    Like Al Lutz pointed out in his most recent update, none of the TV ads or billboards for Midway Mania used the DCA name. It was "at the Disneyland resort", using the old classic Disneyland font, and the word "resort" in very small letters. On the voiceover, you're encouraged to get a park-hopper ticket (that is, if you actually want to see the attraction being advertised).

So the improvements will help the "resort as a whole"... but for good or bad, they want to get out from under the Disney's California Adventure name...

And pardon me if I missed this in the thread, but shouldn't the thread title be "is not just Disneyland"?

I mean it still owned owned by the Disney Company, right?
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast