Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: The Walt Disney Company: Is not Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I'm pretty sure the $1.2 billion for Disney's California Adventure is for Phase I and Phase II. Disney made Phase I look bigger by letting the press keep quoting the $1.2 billion figure back when they announced parts of Phase I.
    Well, my understanding is that some of the decisions are still being made, but I think the 1+ billion is going to only pay for phase 1 and maybe enough will be left to do some of the other things, but not much. I think this is right if you just throw some rough numbers to things. My guess for the budget based on reports and my knowledge on construction would be this:

RSR-$300 Million
    Rest of Cars Land-$150 Million
    New entry and Red Cars-$75 Million
    Paradise Pier Retheme-$75 Million
    World of Color Show-$50 Million
    Little Mermaid Attraction-$200 Million

So that brings it to about $900 Million, I guess there might be some money left for some of the other things, but I'm sure a lot of that money is being taken for back of house and infrastructure and I'm not sure of the exact budget. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's enough for the retheme of all of Hollywoodland and Condor Flats in this budget, nor a show for the Carthay. It wouldn't add an attraction to the Grizzly area and it probably won't pay for the drive-in theater-restaurant for Cars Land. It certainly won't pay for some of the other rumored projects. All this stuff that the first chunk of money won't pay for will have to be approved for a second phase, which is likely to happen if phase one goes well.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    RSR-$300 Million
    Amazing how quickly that adds up. Just curious here, but how much did it cost to make superstar limo(the last dark ride built). Im curious as to the difference of the cost of superstar limo and the little mermaid.

• Don't lets be silly! ºoº

Just keep in mind the WDC is only worth 60 some odd Billion. Sorry for not quoting, but whoever said it should be Million, and not Billion was right. Thank you!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well, my understanding is that some of the decisions are still being made, but I think the 1+ billion is going to only pay for phase 1 and maybe enough will be left to do some of the other things, but not much. I think this is right if you just throw some rough numbers to things. My guess for the budget based on reports and my knowledge on construction would be this:

RSR-$300 Million

So that brings it to about $900 Million, I guess there might be some money left for some of the other things, but I'm sure a lot of that money is being taken for back of house and infrastructure and I'm not sure of the exact budget. Anyway, it doesn't seem like there's enough for the retheme of all of Hollywoodland and Condor Flats in this budget, nor a show for the Carthay. It wouldn't add an attraction to the Grizzly area and it probably won't pay for the drive-in theater-restaurant for Cars Land. It certainly won't pay for some of the other rumored projects. All this stuff that the first chunk of money won't pay for will have to be approved for a second phase, which is likely to happen if phase one goes well.
    The Blue Sky Alert from April 21 places Phase I in the $800 - $900 million range. I can't remember who, but somebody (Honor or maybe WDW1974) said that the end could still see in a final price tag of $1.7 billion.

Thanks lazyboy97O, it's nice to know that the WDC is willing to place money back on the thing which truly became the family dream!

• Rear Window=Best Movie

WOW, thanks for sharing your perspective.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The Blue Sky Alert from April 21 places Phase I in the $800 - $900 million range. I can't remember who, but somebody (Honor or maybe WDW1974) said that the end could still see in a final price tag of $1.7 billion.
    Yeah, that sounds about right to do most of the things that they've proposed. Lets hope everything goes well, and they do approve that much for DCA.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    Amazing how quickly that adds up. Just curious here, but how much did it cost to make superstar limo(the last dark ride built). Im curious as to the difference of the cost of superstar limo and the little mermaid.
    I really doubt anyone outside Disney knows the answer to this, but I'd guess that SSL cost less than 40 million for sure. Looking at the drawings and the fact that Al and Honor have both said the LM building is going to be pretty elaborate, I'm thinking just the building alone will be in the 30 Million range, maybe more. So I would guess the shell of the building for TLM will cost nearly the same as the entire SSL, buiding and all.

They're also saying that it's going to have incredible theming and mumerous AA's on the inside, and it's going to be a pretty big attraction, so I think it's really going to make SSL look even worse than it already did. Al said it was going to have scenes on the scale of HM, if that's true this is going to be a lot more impressive than a typical dark ride.
    -Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    the Disney Company is bigger then simply Disneyland.
    Really? Is this news in the same way that it's news that the United States is not simply California?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    There was a time when everything was about Disneyland, but that time has long since past.
    What time was that? Last I checked, Walt Disney Productions was making movies and TV shows and involved in real estate, all of which was not connected to Disneyland or even Walt Disney World.

• Banned User

So, to say the least. The Walt Disney Company has become a unstopping entity, who's only obligation is to the majority of the stockholders (who, are in the business so they can make money). If that means cutting corners at a (Disneyland) theme park, then that's what they'll do (are doing)... It's a shame they don't take some notes from the Oriental Land Company and what they've done with Tokyo Disney Resort in Japan (who coincidently read the book Walt Disney wrote about the operation of theme park)...

Let's get one thing straight. Cutting corners has never been, and never will be, a good business move. It will never build value for shareholders. This is an argument of short term thinking versus long term thinking, and since when is it good business to think short term? Are they planning to close up shop next year?

Investing in your business is the way to build value over the long term, because those investments will pay dividends long into the future. Cutting corners is a way of temporarily squeezing a few more dollars out of the goose that laid a golden egg, at the risk of killing the goose. Cutting corners is what led to that horrible accident on BTMR. Cutting corners has hurt the sterling reputation that Walt established. Cutting corners may mean the difference between a one time visitor to the parks, and a life long visitor. Cutting corners is stupid and short sighted.

The WDC needs more executives with vision. Any idiot can hack and slash.

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    Really? Is this news in the same way that it's news that the United States is not simply California?
    Wow, I'll do my best not to stoop.

Ask people who the Governor of Idaho is and they couldn't tell you, heck, ask people who their House Representative is, and they couldn't tell you. So yes, a lot of people might not realize that the WDC is bigger then just that of Disneyland; not to mention a lot of people don't even know Disneyland is in Anaheim. If you took the time to read you might have noticed that I said something on the lines of people think thank you could just simply buy Disneyland and fix it up... I'm pointing out that it's that as simple as buying Disneyland because the WDC is bigger then simply Disneyland...

What time was that? Last I checked, Walt Disney Productions was making movies and TV shows and involved in real estate, all of which was not connected to Disneyland or even Walt Disney World.
    I know this might be a little hard to understand for some people, but when Walt built Disneyland he put everything he owned into it. Not only did he mortgage his Studio, but his home as well. For him, everything he was he put into Disneyland. That's when that was. Capisci, or should I use sarcasm?

Even if Disneyland brings small profit, this "small profit" is millions a year. Disney wouldnt just cut that extra income just for kicks.

• Banned User

I'm really impressed by that $200 million price tag for the Little Mermaid ride. I didn't know Mermaid was planned as a major E-Ticket. Won't that make it the most expensive Disney ride ever created? Just a couple years ago, Everest debuted with a $100 price tag. Seems like it's more expensive for Disney to create a ride on the west coast. Labor costs higher there?

• Banned User

I'm really impressed by that $200 million price tag for the Little Mermaid ride. I didn't know Mermaid was planned as a major E-Ticket. Won't that make it the most expensive Disney ride ever created? Just a couple years ago, Everest debuted with a $100 million price tag. Seems like it's more expensive for Disney to create a ride on the west coast. Labor costs higher there?

• Banned User

Oops. Sorry bout the double post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast