Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• Senior Minion

Re: The Walt Disney Company: Is not Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I'm really impressed by that $200 million price tag for the Little Mermaid ride. I didn't know Mermaid was planned as a major E-Ticket. Won't that make it the most expensive Disney ride ever created? Just a couple years ago, Everest debuted with a $100 million price tag. Seems like it's more expensive for Disney to create a ride on the west coast. Labor costs higher there?
    I don't think it's the most expensive, I believe a few attractions at TDS cost over 200 million, and of course RSR will be near 300 million. I believe they spent near 100 million just on developing the trackless ride system for Pooh's HH. I'm surprised Everest was only 100 million, but that may be right. Construction costs have gone up substantially in the last couple of years.

Gas cost is a huge factor in construction, and the extensive construction projects in China have pushed up the world price for many goods, especially steel and wood. Of course, Disney doesn't publish official numbers, so who really knows. I think the Subs pushed the 100 million mark, and that was just a rennovation of an exisitng ride system. It would be interesting to see a list of the construction costs of various attractions both in their actual cost, and what that would translate into in today's dollars.

And yes, labor, materials, and local code requirements all are more expensive to deal with in California and the cost of living is higher here. For example, the average home in LA is probably still around 3 times as expensive in LA as Orlando, even after having lost significant value in the last year or so.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMouse View Post
    I know this might be a little hard to understand for some people, but when Walt built Disneyland he put everything he owned into it. Not only did he mortgage his Studio, but his home as well. For him, everything he was he put into Disneyland. That's when that was. Capisci, or should I use sarcasm?
    Walt Disney did not have the power to mortgage the studio. There were other shareholders besides Roy Disney. The studio only had a 1/3 stake, same as the American Broadcasting Company and WED Enterprises, in Disneyland, Inc. when the park opened.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    I'm surprised Everest was only 100 million, but that may be right. Construction costs have gone up substantially in the last couple of years.
    Of course, Disney doesn't publish official numbers, so who really knows.
    Disney was touting the $100 million cost and most expensive ride during the pre-opening hype for Expedition Everest. The $100 million figure is said to be less than actual costs, but was probably considered a good number for the likes of Wall Street.

• Senior Minion

Well, they saved a few million not theming the whole mountain, and they could include or leave out design costs out of the construction costs, depending on what they wanted to show. Anyway, any coaster is a pretty standard ride system and it only has one, allbeit ellaborate and huge AA. I would guess that's how they kept the cost reasonable.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well, they saved a few million not theming the whole mountain, and they could include or leave out design costs out of the construction costs, depending on what they wanted to show. Anyway, any coaster is a pretty standard ride system and it only has one, allbeit ellaborate and huge AA. I would guess that's how they kept the cost reasonable.
    Well design costs included those research trips to the Himalayas, which may have been paid in part by Discovery. The biggest construction challenge was most likely the three structural systems that cannot touch (mountain, coaster, and Yeti). I do not know if Disney helped Vekoma develop the track switching technology, but that probably cost a bit more too.

• Banned User

OK, so when is Mermaid finally (finally!) planned to open? 2011?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345