Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

That's odd...too bad that happened to ya.

This whole thing just sounds weird to me. Character CMs aren't just getting paid for their acting skills - they could just do stage shows at the park if they wanted that. Their whole purpose in being out and about is to interact with Guests. All Guests. That means that you don't get to just decide that you want to wander about having "spontaneous adventures" with only the Guests who appeal to you - you sign the autographs and pose for endless pictures and use that dramatic creativity to make it fun. Even the villains cooperate, so Jack has no excuse.

Either this CM was having an off day, or he was in training, or something. Weird. I'd be really disappointed if a favourite character blew me off.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Odd as he was in a Meet and Greet. I would say different if he was walking around.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

Maybe it was Johnny Depp himself, maybe he wanted to spend a bit of time as the character with the kids and was trying to stay away from the adults so they wouldn't realize it was the real Captain Jack? You never know...

•   
    • Seasick

As much as a character just wandering around and interacing would be fun, I think that guests at Disney theme park are pretty used to the notion that if you see a character, you can take your picture with them.

Always lining up to meet characters lacks spontaneity, but it is the norm, and this strikes me as bad show as a result.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

(PleaseRemainSeated)"Character CMs aren't stage shows Their whole purpose in being out and about is to sign the autographs and pose for endless pictures "

Than they might as well be statues than huh? I witnessed goofy without a hostess taking a stroll out in the front of the park with a little girl who was terminally ill. He had to stop because an irrate mother who was pulling at his arm wanted an autograph for her newborn baby. Moral to my story, it was "magical" seeing this unrehearsed activity taking place that this child's parent's will remeber forever and ever, as apposed to waiting in a long line or paying alot at a character dining for it to occur. Your entitled to your opinion honey but the characters are not there just to have autograph books shoved in their faces. They are considered entertainment and Disneyland is "onstage so I do not agree with your post.
    Last edited by BWthespian; 06-18-2008 at 06:48 PM.

• Wishing

I will admit it was quite fun to watch Captain Jack wander around the island. He was completely in character, talking to himself on occasion and seeming to lack direction. It was hilarious and great. However also disapointing when one thing the person I was with wanted was to get a picture with him on her first trip to Disneyland. She ended up settling for a picture of him walking around briefly not crowded by kids trying to get a picture with or get an autograph.
    Most often found at a theme park

• Leaping Into The Abyss

It seems to me all the characters are available to kids and adults alike. I can't imagine why he would think the kids more important than the adults except that "grownups" would more appreciate his shtick as he was playing it. Still, I love my photo with "Captain Sparrow", so I'm sorry for your disappointment.
    Spyed the Black Pearl from Cabrillo Beach

• Off to Neverland

That's very odd...I have waited in line there for a picture with him and got a whole session of attention and several photopass pictures while doing it. Then the next people stepped up for their session with him.
    So...I must say, very odd.

I like Jack's antics myself...
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Quote Originally Posted by BWthespian View Post
    (PleaseRemainSeated)"Character CMs aren't stage shows Their whole purpose in being out and about is to sign the autographs and pose for endless pictures "

Than they might as well be statues than huh? I witnessed goofy without a hostess taking a stroll out in the front of the park with a little girl who was terminally ill. He had to stop because an irrate mother who was pulling at his arm wanted an autograph for her newborn baby. Moral to my story, it was "magical" seeing this unrehearsed activity taking place that this child's parent's will remeber forever and ever, as apposed to waiting in a long line or paying alot at a character dining for it to occur. Your entitled to your opinion honey but the characters are not there just to have autograph books shoved in their faces. They are considered entertainment and Disneyland is "onstage so I do not agree with your post.
    I appreciate your opinion - in fact, I largely agree with it - but I feel that you're responding to something I didn't actually say.

Your "quote" of my post isn't accurate - I didn't say characters were out just to sign and pose, I said they were out to interact with guests. To me, this includes signatures and pictures as well as 'magic moments' like the one you described. I agree that character CMs provide entertainment. But the behavior the OP was describing sounded like the CM was ignoring Guests who wanted to interact with him, beyond what being 'in-character' would call for, and I don't think that's appropriate. If a guest was being rude - cutting in line, butting in on someone else's 'moment' or trying to monopolize the CM's attention - one might excuse it, but it sounds as though the guests were behaving perfectly fine and simply being ignored for no particular reason.

Likewise, everyone's opinion is different - to some, that photo, autograph or character dining experience might be their 'magic moment'.

Anyway, I hope that clarifies my thoughts.
    Last edited by PleaseRemainSeated; 06-18-2008 at 09:16 PM.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

He stopped my aunt in disneyland just around the AdventureLand to Hub pathway. Asked for her Earring and then walked off with it.

Was funny But i didnt get any photos of it ;/

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Top Chef

I had a bad experience with one of the Jacks on the island when it first opened. He took pictures with all the kids, and signed their books and then would throw the books on the ground when he was done. When it was my turn he wouldn't take a picture with me (my first time on the island I wasn't a stalker) and it was really icky for me. I haven't been back over there since, and he really ruined Jack for me. And when I say he ruined Jack I mean the ones at the park, not the Johnny Depp Jack.

• Closed Account

Perhaps the response to keep the public at bay after the confessional article in the LA Mag from former Disneyland Jack Brandon. Management may have now taken to a Captain Jack Sparrow Hands To Yourself Policy! Look but don't touch!

Said "dour" woman in the background may have been Disney Suits monitoring the eledged new policies.

• The line's too long...

I can understand people taking photo ops with characters but getting their autograph is just weird... do the CMs have to practice a certain way to write a specific character's signature? Otherwise every Woody, Goofy, etc. would have a different way to sign depending on who is inside the costume.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast