Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Shubisha

Re: Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

i can't imagine any new policy involves "no posing for pictures as an atmosphere character" so don't think she was monitoring that, but the strong presence of a suit clearly means something was up and even though it was un-stagelike for them to do whatever they were doing in front of guests there was a reason for jack having to act like that.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    I can understand people taking photo ops with characters but getting their autograph is just weird... do the CMs have to practice a certain way to write a specific character's signature? Otherwise every Woody, Goofy, etc. would have a different way to sign depending on who is inside the costume.
    They do learn a specific "style" as each character has it's own way of signing. At the same time some CM's add a little more to it.

And to me it is no more "weird" then people clamoring for the autograph of a movie star, or sports star, or band member... remember to us it's someone in a fuzzy suit, to a kid it's their favorite character (be it a princess, or Tigger, or Mickey Mouse) that character is a celebrity in their eyes, and their signature is the ultimate souvenir. I can't even begin to tell you how many excited children I have seen, and how many "Mickey signed my book" or "Jasmine signed it for me, look Daddy" comments I have heard, both as a CM and as a parent.

Now if you are referring to Adults who seek out autographs for themselves (not standing in line with or for a little one) then to me that is kind of weird. But then again Adults clamoring over each other at a sporting event to get a sports star's signature is equally weird in my eyes.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Not So New Member

The one in the picture is great. The one who says no pics. Has been doing this for awhile. (Before article) He has never been good with interacting with guest. He stays in character and is interesting to watch but is has nothng to do with guest. Fortunately there are a couple of other Capt Jack's that make up for him.
    disney lady

• Hello

Maybe the guy had a huge pimple and he didn't want anyone to see it on a picture.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    I'm not one of the dirty guests. I've never even had my picture taken with the Jack character, or stood in line or anything. I more so admire the Johnny Depp version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride Monkey View Post
    I assure you, fo'c's'le, that my intentions were purely honorable - even for a pirate such as I.

It's those depraved soccer moms you have to watch out for. They probably spoiled it for the rest of us.
    I suppose the use of a smiley on my part would have served me better. Kiddin'. I know you are not, either of you, dirty guests--allow me to illustrate my point more clearly:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Mmmmmmm, Tom & Huck.
    ^^ Dirty Guest.

• The line is HOW long!?!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    LOL. Overly libidoed Sparrow lovers? Will that suffice?
    I respect anyone who portrays Jack Sparrow as "artists."
    Pirate!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Chef Remy View Post
    I had a bad experience with one of the Jacks on the island when it first opened. He took pictures with all the kids, and signed their books and then would throw the books on the ground when he was done. When it was my turn he wouldn't take a picture with me (my first time on the island I wasn't a stalker) and it was really icky for me. I haven't been back over there since, and he really ruined Jack for me. And when I say he ruined Jack I mean the ones at the park, not the Johnny Depp Jack.
    Actually, this sounds like my Jack. He also threw around auto books when he was done. I agree with another poster who said this guy just didn't have good crowd skills. Ah well, I guess my timing was just bad and I got the unsocialable Jack. Maybe I'll have better luck on my next visit!
    Pirate!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I can see where you're coming from, and would have been disappointed too. That said, I can see where the intention of the actor and the expectations of the guests are not in line and the problems it causes. I had a lady come into City Hall to complain about what I will assume was the same "Jack". She said he looked in her purse, found her car keys, tried them in each of the treasure chests on the photo op location, then tossed them back to her when they didn't work.

I laughed at the thought - how wonderfully in-character for the pirate to be looking for the keys to the treasure chests - but this lady was FURIOUS. How DARE he go through her private things! She threatened a lawsuit and I had to send her to legal.

Moral; what would appear to some as a hilarious and perfectly themed action for the character appears to others as bad show and terrible guest service. I can imagine that this PARTICULAR character has a VERY thin line to walk.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

All I wanted was a simple photo op with a face character! Was that too much to ask!?!
    Pirate!

• Workin to live,lovin life

Quote Originally Posted by Peoplemover Priit View Post
    Maybe the guy had a huge pimple and he didn't want anyone to see it on a picture.
    Nice!

I did have a really great experience dealing with a Jack Sparrow. We brought my friend's mom to Disneyland a few months back, who hasn't been to Disneyland since my friend was born (24+ years ago). We thought it was hilarious that the Jack Sparrow offered to hold her purse while we took their picture, and she was so lost in the magic of Disneyland that she almost handed him her purse.

Now why can't all Jack Sparrows take pictures with people? They represent a character that people love to meet, and would love to take home a souvenir that they can show to people... "Hey, look, I met Jack Sparrow!".

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    I know you are not, either of you, dirty guests--allow me to illustrate my point more clearly:

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Mmmmmmm, Tom & Huck.
    ^^ Dirty Guest.
    You love it. I know you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• Not So New Member

He has been like this since Capt Jack first appeared. He did not say no pictures till recently that I know of, (before article). He just made it very hard to get pictures with him. No standing still. Just kept moving. I love the Capt Jack character. just not that one and fortunately I get to see the others more often.
    disney lady

• My liver hurts!

Is there a certain day that the 'anti-social' Jack is on TSI???
    I would love to go get a picture but think it would be a waste to head over there to be disappointed?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post
    Try the Hello Te-Kitty-la.

The only time I have seen him do stuff like this is around closing time or before breaks. He will try to meet with several people that were waiting at the Photo Op location quickly then wander around the island a little. Then he hops on the next raft to get off the island.

Or, maybe, it really was Johnny Depp.

• Not So New Member

I've only seen him on fridays but than Ocassionally I've seen another Capt Jack. So I don't think there is a way to know for sure.
    disney lady

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast