Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

•   

Re: Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    I can see where you're coming from, and would have been disappointed too. That said, I can see where the intention of the actor and the expectations of the guests are not in line and the problems it causes. I had a lady come into City Hall to complain about what I will assume was the same "Jack". She said he looked in her purse, found her car keys, tried them in each of the treasure chests on the photo op location, then tossed them back to her when they didn't work.

I laughed at the thought - how wonderfully in-character for the pirate to be looking for the keys to the treasure chests - but this lady was FURIOUS. How DARE he go through her private things! She threatened a lawsuit and I had to send her to legal.
    As a paralegal, I would love to see the pleading for damages on that. I have no doubt there's a multitude of attorneys ready to craft such a complaint. (because up until now, my personal favorite stupid complaint was the guy who sued Wendy's for emotional distress because they were out of toilet paper in one stall in the bathroom -- this could potentially top that one <g>)

The pain and suffering, the intentional infliction of emotional distress, the humiliation, the harm! oh the punitives to be had! Sometimes I hate my profession....

Moral; what would appear to some as a hilarious and perfectly themed action for the character appears to others as bad show and terrible guest service. I can imagine that this PARTICULAR character has a VERY thin line to walk.
    I recall that article that was in LA magazine a few weeks back by one of the former Jacks and it would seem you're exactly right. Between getting come on to in a big way by both male and female and entertaining the kiddies and staying in character, it must be draining.

That being said, it's unfortunate the OP didn't have her photo op, that seems more than odd. I generally don't do photo with the characters but I had a friend come from OZ and we went to meet Captain Jack. he was very accommodating and funny. (Of course I have no idea which Jack we met) But it's really unfortunate that one of the characters would be so off-putting to a guest. While it was probably an aberration, that doesn't help the OP.

• Boat shoes all day long

You know, this behavior doesn't seem to far fetched. I had a similar experience. Last summer I was wandering around Tom Sawyers Island (pirate lair?) and saw Jack clowning around on a nearby path. I was very sore from the half-marathon so was having a hard time on the rough terrain. Jack must have noticed my hardship and came right over. But rather than carrying me to the nearest landing to await the raft back to New Orleans Square, Jack kicked some dirt on me! He said, "You look like a monkey, and you smell like one too!" And then ran off down the path towards the rear of the island.

This was hard on me (that's what she said), and I have never been back to the Island/Lair.
    "Let's get weird" -Abraham Lincoln

• The Pirate Girl

I find that to be really odd! Both times I've seen Jack (And I think it was the same guy both times) he was really friendly.
    When I was there in January, I had my own camera that a CM was taking pictures with. Something happened and the pictures didn't turn out at all, they were just white. I was the last person he was taking pictures with before he went in to take a break. Once I said my pictures didn't turn out, he said he wouldn't mind taking a few more with me.

Hopefully you'll get a better experience next time! I'm sorry to hear about that!

This is the Jack I saw:

Who tried on my sunglasses. xD
    Last edited by MysticalSkye; 06-19-2008 at 12:22 PM.
    For certain you must be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was.

I had a similar thing happen to me. I had never met Jack before and was excited to get a picture with him. But while in line, Jack went on break. A little while later he came back but didn't do a set meet and greet. He was wandering around the front of the island. He would sign autograph books and interact with people, but he wouldn't stop to take a picture. We ended up on the same raft as him. While on the raft, he was asking for "island fees." I found a penny in my purse and called him over. I offered him a penny to take a picture with me. Luckily, he stayed in place long enough for me to get a picture with him.
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I wonder if it was this Jack... he acted very strangely with us the whole time (and other times we've seen him) and even with Photopass people there my pics came out like this (this was the very first day Pirate's Lair was open too)

• The line is HOW long!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcochik View Post
    I wonder if it was this Jack... he acted very strangely with us the whole time (and other times we've seen him) and even with Photopass people there my pics came out like this (this was the very first day Pirate's Lair was open too)
    That's him. That's the Jack. I got a photo of him talking to kids but I'm too bone-headed to be able to figure out how to post a photo here.
    Pirate!

• Not So New Member

I'm not seeing pics, Just red X were the pics are
    disney lady

• Disappearing/Reappearing

weird. That's all I can think to say. Maybe if enough people complained...they would get rid of this particular Jack?

Thats hilarious about the lady flipping out about Jack taking her keys. LOL

• Not So New Member

Yes this is the one that said no pics and is ALWAYS moving. The one prior is alway really nice about pics.
    disney lady

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

So why are full-grown men suddenly completely innocent when they go to take pictures with the princesses?

It's the same thing, folks. Some adults have naughty thoughts about both sexes of characters, while others just want to take a picture with their favorite character at Disneyland.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and this must be a new thing, because I got to take a picture with him the summer Dead Man's Chest came out.

Originally, they weren't allowed to stop at all (I figured at the time that it was a room issue since NOS is kinda tiny).

If I were you, I would write to Disney about this...maybe it's a new Disney policy, maybe that Jack is a really bad egg. But expressing your concerns to them can bring about change, or at least an apology.

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Monkey View Post
    That's him. That's the Jack. I got a photo of him talking to kids but I'm too bone-headed to be able to figure out how to post a photo here.
    Yupper. That's the same Jack I met.
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

That pic still makes me laugh cause it looks like he's photoshopped over me!
    There's some other slightly better pics w/ him but I don't think I would have had them had it not been for photopass being there.
    It was also really strange because the day before we'd had a Jack who was amazing (in character and mischevious but willing to stop for pics and have fun).
    This was him digging though my purse :P

There's a fine line between being in character and not fufilling expectations. I mean I love the spontaneous nature of it but I almost feel like unless you're a frequent visitor you won't understand why Jack's running away from you or ignoring you.

Also DOWN WITH AUTOGRAPH BOOKS!! [/End rant]

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

All someone needs to do is convince the wandering non photo posing Jack to show up to a Disney event in his own similar Jack costume and that will be that

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Here is my photo...as you can see, he was actually keeping moving at the time it was taken, headed off somewhere else.

And yes, this is the one I encountered just constantly wandering about NOS and not stopping, and I did wonder of it...I got a few shots, but I wasn't really after a photo with him....and also, at the time I observed this, he did develop a huge following group of mostly pre-teen girls giggling and trying to get his attention, and he just went on ignoring them and seeking people out. It was odd, and I can see both pro and con for it...it is in character, but some guests will be disappointed by the acting going on.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast