Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• The line is HOW long!?!

Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

I had an odd experience with the Jack Sparrow face character on Monday, June 16th and wondered if anyone could shed some light upon what happened. I live in Portland, OR and make it to DLR at least once a year. I got my photo taken with Jack Sparrow last year (you can probably tell from my avatar that I’m a fan). Since that time I joined Weight Watchers and lost a bit of weight so I wanted an “after” picture with Jack.

We went to Pirate’s Lair on Monday, and made our way to the meet-and-greet and patiently waited with a group of others for JS. After about a hour he came out with one handler in a pirate costume, and a very dour-looking woman CM wearing nice clothes. What happened then was quite bizarre: Jack was not letting anyone take his photo with them. He did his shtick, but only while signing autographs for small children. As soon as myself or anyone would get near him with a camera for a pose, he would abruptly about-face and walk to another area of the meet-and-greet with all of us tailing him. This is how it continued for the next half-hour. He never sat down or stayed in one place. I couldn’t understand why they didn’t have a line-up like they usually do with the face characters. I got the feeling, however, that Jack was behaving badly. His handler went up to him a couple of times and whispered to him, like he was trying to get Jack to do a proper meet-and-greet, and I noticed that one time the handler turned away, he rolled his eyes as if Jack was purposefully not cooperating. The dour woman hung in the background and did little more than keep barking at the children to “stay off the treasure!” She kept this up ad nauseum, even though there were kids climbing all over the unsupervised “treasure” before and after Jack’s appearance. The whole experience was rather surreal. He seemed to completely ignore anyone who was over 10 years old.

Is Jack living in fear of being molested by overzealous soccer moms? At least I didn’t take it personally, since anyone “over the height limit” was getting a complete cold shoulder.

Can anyone offer some insight as to why this happened?
    Last edited by Ride Monkey; 06-18-2008 at 03:13 PM.
    Pirate!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

Doesn't make sense RM. I mean is he just there to shake hands? You figure people would want either a picture or an autograph.

Sorry it happened to you.

He only shook hands or signed autograph books. For kids.

Johnny Depp himself is much more fan-friendly than this guy was!
    Pirate!

• Mrs. J. Depp

Gosh thats such a bummer. I would have a bit of a sour puss on if this happened to me.(I'm obsessed with Jack Sparrow)

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Gosh thats such a bummer. I would have a bit of a sour puss on if this happened to me.(I'm obsessed with Jack Sparrow)
    (BOLD mine) Maybe you are not alone; hence the hesitancy to interact with 'grown-up' guests. You dirty dirty guests. Shame. Shame. Shame on you all.

• Mrs. J. Depp

I'm not one of the dirty guests. I've never even had my picture taken with the Jack character, or stood in line or anything. I more so admire the Johnny Depp version.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    (BOLD mine) Maybe you are not alone; hence the hesitancy to interact with 'grown-up' guests. You dirty dirty guests. Shame. Shame. Shame on you all.
    I assure you, fo'c's'le, that my intentions were purely honorable - even for a pirate such as I.

It's those depraved soccer moms you have to watch out for. They probably spoiled it for the rest of us.
    Pirate!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Another good reason to bring Tom & Huck back. No housewives lusting after them as far as I can remember.

• Wishing

I was out on the Island last friday (6/13) and Jack was doing this exact thing. No pictures with him, barely staying in one place long enough to even get close to him. He had people trailing him all over the island with a long line waiting at the meet and greet area.
    Most often found at a theme park

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Actually, back before the island was even open, I observed a Jack doing this exact behavior around NOS...he was literally constantly moving, down side streets, over things, and around, talking to people and acting rather strangely....but for me, I saw this as being in character. But then, he didn't have a set photo place in NOS, and I figured that was the brief of the character...swagger around and interact, not hang out in one area.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Wink Re: Jack Sparrow - No Pictures Please!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Another good reason to bring Tom & Huck back. No housewives lusting after them as far as I can remember.
    ...and I am not a housewife, thankyouverymuch.
    Pirate!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Monkey View Post
    ...and I am not a housewife, thankyouverymuch.
    LOL. Overly libidoed Sparrow lovers? Will that suffice?

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post

Mmmmmmm, Tom & Huck.

• "I Break Things"

I have two thoughts on this. #1 I think it is wrong that the individuals are so much "in character" that they would refuse pictures, interactions with individuals over the age of 10, or yell at kids who are climbing on the treasure.

#2 I am shocked at this no picture policy.

I know you had not asked for pictures, but I did want to show this one, to prove that not all Jack's act in this manner.

In this respect Jack was overly patient with our little ones. It should be in one of the TR's... but he was absolutely amazing, and my little ones love him without ever having seen the movie!

And I know others, both adults and children, have also had pictures taken with him.
    Last edited by techskip; 06-18-2008 at 03:40 PM.

Perhaps captain jack caught wind of the fact that the disney cartoon characters (unlike florida) have the freedom to walk about casually, having fun and spontaneous adventures with guests , instead of that hes just an autograph dispenser standing for an hour in a set up photo location in the hot sun. He was probably trying to just walk around .....but felt bombarded and annoyed by the mob.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast