Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bedknobs in the Park

I never hear much about Disney's Bedknobs & Broomsticks. It was featured heavilly in the Disney On Parade travelling arena show in the 70's. Has it ever been featured in Disneyland in parades or the like?

• Minion

Re: Bedknobs in the Park

ORWEN: I remember that King Leonidas used to be around for meetings and greetings back in the 80's and you can still see him in the Electrical Parade whenever it's running. But, other than that, they don't do anything else for Bedknobs & Broomsitcks fans.

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: But, other than that, they don't do anything else for Bedknobs & Broomsitcks fans.
    I wish they did. Not even a song from the movie is used in any of the area music loops.

A dark ride based on the movie would be lots of fun I think.

Edit: Just remembered that WDW released a 35th anniversary pin for the film in 2006, but other than that there is no merchandise for the film available.
    Last edited by Angie_Duke; 06-19-2008 at 04:15 AM.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• potterday.org

As fun as that movie is, it doesn't seem plausible that Disney would create an attraction themed around a movie with little remaining commercial value.

I mean, that would be almost as ludicrous as creating a multi-million dollar log ride based on a movie that the company doesn't even acknowledge and will never again release to the public. That would be just silly.
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Minion

I think they may have done-up the Main Street Emporium windows with Bedknobs back in 1971.

Costumes other than King Leonidas were designed, as Bedknobs was a number in the Disney on Parade arena show - - the underwater sequence at least.

• Blind to His Own Faults

It's a crime that the outstanding score from 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' isn't featured as regularly as other, more lackluster offerings. '...Beautiful Briny Sea (Bobbing Along)', 'Substitutiary Locomotion', 'The Age of Not Believing', 'Portobello Road'--really the entire soundtrack is exceptional, IMO.

• Minion

ORDDU: The Age of Not Believing was actually nominated for an Academy award way back when. As to the idea of Bedknobs & Broomsticks not being worth the consideration of building an attraction for--just because it's out of the public eye and not being released in general theatres any longer--what about Song of the South, which falls into the same category. As my sisters and I recall, they came up with a splendid attraction called Splash Mountain which remains popular, today, regardless of whether or not the movie is ever seen by the general public again.

ORWEN: It just goes to show that you don't even need a successful movie in order to create a successful attraction. Plenty of attractions were created without movie tie-ins at Disneyland.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Everytime I think of this movie I think of how annoying those kids were. But I do love the animated portions!

King Leo is often mistaken for a Robin Hood character in the Electrical Parade isn't he? Or is it the other way around?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

>>King Leo is often mistaken for a Robin Hood character in the Electrical Parade isn't he? Or is it the other way around?<<

There used to be a Prince John costume as well - - they are different.

• Shubisha

They are different, but yes he is mistaken for prince john

• Animatronic

Perhaps a new Bedknobs and Broomsticks movie trillogy could compete with Harry Potter. If not, at least Disney should release the original on blu-ray.

I bet teenagers and the young at heart would love a bedknobs and broomsticks ride where you ride through the ride on beds.

•   
    • Super Hero

Prince John, from Robin Hood, has a large crown that goes from one side of his head to the other (it's actually bigger than his head). He wears a bright purple and fuschia toga-style robe. His face fur is various shades of brown.

King Leonidas, or King Lion, from B&B, has a small crown atop his head and wears a purple robe trimmed in white fur which has black speckle spots on it. The fur around his mouth area is yellow. He is the one playing the calliope in the Electrical Parade.

Wanda Woman
    Hasbeen Costuming Cast Member, MSEP and Character Head Room

I never realized that was King Leonidas in the Electrical parade...I always thought it was Prince John from Robin Hood???

• The line is HOW long!?!

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    It's a crime that the outstanding score from 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks' isn't featured as regularly as other, more lackluster offerings. '...Beautiful Briny Sea (Bobbing Along)', 'Substitutiary Locomotion', 'The Age of Not Believing', 'Portobello Road'--really the entire soundtrack is exceptional, IMO.
    Yeah, I love that soundtrack. I was 10 when the movie came out. I remember writing Disney Music asking why "Step in the Right Direction" and another song (the title of which escapes me right now) was not in the movie. They graciously wrote me back and informed me that those two songs had been edited out of the final cut because of time constraints.

And yes, the Emporium re-created the whole film in it's windows and King Leo was a park character. I remember wondering if anyone tried to steal the Star of Astoroth that he wore around his neck! LOL!
    Pirate!

• Minion

ORWEN: Walt Disney World's Emporium used to have some characters from Bedknobs and Broomsticks decorating THEIR store, too, back in the mid 90's. They eventually disappeared.

ORDDU: I maintain that you could take the least favorite Disney movie and create the most successful dark ride attraction from it--IF it was done well and IF enough money was spent on it and IF it turned out to be of high quality. Alice in Wonderland, for example, didn't do all that well at the box office. Yet the attractions it has spawned at the Disney Parks are very popular.

ORGOCH: So how soon is we gonna' see a Black Cauldron ride?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast