Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: What To Do With Big Thunder Ranch Area?

I am also with Steve and thing that a barbecue restaurant would be great. I loved the old one. I would also love an outdoor western show, like a mini Wild West Show. Let's get some native Americans dancing and shoot out with Cowboys.

As to the barbecue... I think that the reason it closed was that it was miss managed. They produced too much meat many days and had to throw it away. Disney closed it because they were losing money. The management has to be on top of things with a restaurant like that. Hiring a college kid who never ran a restaurant to manage that is not a good idea.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Minion

Just to stay within the theme of the area...how about "Captain Jack's BBQ Rib Shack." Or "Barbossa's BBQ Beef"?

Leave it the way it is. It's one of the few places in the park where its quiet and peacefull.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Hiring a college kid who never ran a
    restaurant to manage that is not a good idea.
    They closed the BTBBQ because they spent a fortune upgrading the Casa Mexicana into a scramble service facility and suddenly had more capacity at that location. They consolidated the BBQ menu with the former mexican menu at Casa and thus was born Rancho Del Zocalo.

And the BBQ at Rancho was awesome when it first opened. There were few complaints about the closure of the ranch since the BBQ was still available at Rancho.

Then about 5 years or so ago, Disneyland went through this whole thing where they wanted to court more folks coming from Mexico, so they kicked out the BBQ and expanded Rancho's offerings to be more in line with what folks would expect from a mexican restaurant. The BBQ went temporarily over to Riverbelle Terrace, which just recently reopened from a refurbishment without the BBQ menu offerings.

The fact that the BBQ menu just recently fell off the map at Disneyland leads me to say that I absolutely agree that the ranch should be restored to a dining facility with a BBQ menu. Since they won't be building an attraction back there for quite awhile I don't see why not...

... except they've had a nasty habit of completely messing up every menu in the park lately and I doubt it would be long before they messed up the BBQ too.

here's my thoughts:
    if they put a dark ride or anything like this back there, where would they put the christmas stuff? where could you get your pic taken with santa? i love the idea of opening up the bbq part again..

• Senior Minion

I think for a restaurant to be successful back there they also need a show or attraction, otherwise it's too hidden and out of the way to pull in the crowds I think. Frontierland also needs another attraction, there's not much left to it anymore. I would like some kind of western themed attraction and a BBQ and maybe a few small stores, there's enough room. Anyway, same old same old, I know we've all made these same suggestions before.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    They closed the BTBBQ because they spent a fortune upgrading the Casa Mexicana into a scramble service facility and suddenly had more capacity at that location. They consolidated the BBQ menu with the former mexican menu at Casa and thus was born Rancho Del Zocalo.

And the BBQ at Rancho was awesome when it first opened. There were few complaints about the closure of the ranch since the BBQ was still available at Rancho.

Then about 5 years or so ago, Disneyland went through this whole thing where they wanted to court more folks coming from Mexico, so they kicked out the BBQ and expanded Rancho's offerings to be more in line with what folks would expect from a mexican restaurant. The BBQ went temporarily over to Riverbelle Terrace, which just recently reopened from a refurbishment without the BBQ menu offerings.

The fact that the BBQ menu just recently fell off the map at Disneyland leads me to say that I absolutely agree that the ranch should be restored to a dining facility with a BBQ menu. Since they won't be building an attraction back there for quite awhile I don't see why not...

... except they've had a nasty habit of completely messing up every menu in the park lately and I doubt it would be long before they messed up the BBQ too.
    Thanks for the update. I have heard many people say how much they enjoyed the old Barbecue location. Even though it moved, the atmosphere at the Casa Mexicana was always different. Barbecue food needs the right atmosphere to be right.

I also agree that Disney really seems to screw around with its menu too much. WDW has had a much better job of offering excellent menu choices. Disneyland really needs to pull the variety and quality up a notch. Barbecue in a western themed location would be a great addition to Frontierland.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• King of Los Angeles

I'd love to see the abandoned geyser mountain or an attraction absed on the forthcoming Lone Ranger movie!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

I think you're mostly wrong. The BBQ closed months if not YEARS before Rancho was modified. And trust me--the BBQ there SUCKED, with a capital S and K. What you had at Rancho was oven-cooked meat with some BBQ sauce slapped on for "flavor" and put under heat lamps--not even the complete BBQ menu. Guess-what--I can do that at home. What you had at Big Thunder was true, hardwood-smoked BBQ where the meat was cooked for HOURS over a low, wood fire heat.

I will agree with you that the BBQ should return.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    What you had at Big Thunder was true, hardwood-smoked BBQ where the meat was cooked for HOURS over a low, wood fire heat.
    Man I miss that menu!

Being a parent, and former CM who knew Thunder, I would prefer to have a ride for families, kid's ride with no height checks. One of the main issues with BTM is that there are not a whole lot of options nearby. You have the Mark Twain/Colombia dock right there... after that you end up sending the little ones and their parent off to other lands while the older siblings and other parent stand in a long line. I would love it if Disney utilized the tunnels previously used for the old Mine Train. So I'm not sure if this counts or not since I wouldn't really bother with Festival, but rather that section of Thunder Trail pinched between the river and BTM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• DCA FTW!

mmmmmmmm....... BBQ

The place that was there before, was it like Chris & Pitts?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I think you're mostly wrong. The BBQ closed months if not YEARS before Rancho was modified.
    BTBBQ officially closed in January of 01. It had been open only weekends up until then. Rancho opened a month later.

And trust me--the BBQ there SUCKED, with a capital S and K. What you had at Rancho was oven-cooked meat with some BBQ sauce slapped on for "flavor" [...] What you had at Big Thunder was true, hardwood-smoked BBQ where the meat was cooked for HOURS over a low, wood fire heat.
    How on earth could they slow cook meat for hours and still serve hundreds of guests per hour?

And Rancho did and still does have a grill for their meat.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I really like the idea of bringing a BBQ place back to the area. Just as long as there's a big bath tub near the exit to wash your hands. I love washing hands in bathtubs!

I think it needs to be a full on table service restaurant though. What makes theme parks so uncomfortable and tiresome is the fact that there's never a table when you want one. And BBQ is something you definitely want a table to enjoy.

Some good BBQ, comfortable atmosphere, live music, bath tub sink.... that would be my lil' patch of heaven.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• whatever

What if they did a walk-by display, similar to the Indian village or the little mine scenery setup they have behind BTMRR?

The thing about an expansion back there is it would still have to double as rentable picnic space, due to the amount of money that brings in.

That said, a barbeque facility in the ranch area and a stunt show in the festival arena (Lone Ranger, anyone?) would draw guests back there. To save costs the BBQ hours could correspond to the first and last showtimes in the arena.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast