Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Progressive Disneylander

Re: What To Do With Big Thunder Ranch Area?

Anything else.

Ok, maybe not anything, but I'm certainly open to that area being used for something more substantial. Seems like a waste of park space to me (with no offense meant to the animal residents that I never visit).

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    It needs to be like BTMRR, real life related.
    Real life like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? HA!

Okay. I get your point. Not tied to a movie, especially not to a Pixar movie. But come on, Big Thunder and it's "cursed mountain" story line has little to do with real life!
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyandme67 View Post
    Real life like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad? HA!

Okay. I get your point. Not tied to a movie, especially not to a Pixar movie. But come on, Big Thunder and it's "cursed mountain" story line has little to do with real life!

Ah, but it's built upon stories and myths and legends. Stuff that makes real life interesting!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Giving up Film

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If (when?) someone brings up Western River Expedition, I'll scream.

I'm not really sure what I want done back there, but there's certainly enough room for quite a large show building to be hidden, as several threads have elucidated. I'm game for some sort of big E-ticket, preferably a dark ride or something in the vein of Indy. Just not sure exactly what yet.
    Haha, I'm going to say it... Western River Expedition. Ok maybe not WRE exactly but something smaller, along the lines of it. (To be honest I always thought WRE would be great as a raft ride kinda like Grizzly River Run, and still think there should be a huge coversion on GRR to make it indoors with animatronics while still telling a story. But thats neither here nor there)

I love the BBQ and show area. Lone Ranger? Nah!! When I think Disney and I think Frontierland I think Davy Crockett. Whoohoooo!! or should I say, YeeeeeHawwwww!!
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Like I said in the past: Mt.Everest or Mt.Whitney expedition baby! Disneyland needs another major E ticket ride!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    BTBBQ officially closed in January of 01. It had been open only weekends up until then. Rancho opened a month later.
    As someone who only went on weekends prior to its "official" closing, I can assure you that it was closed on weekends, too.

How on earth could they slow cook meat for hours and still serve hundreds of guests per hour?
    Disney Magic? You seem to have all the answers, Liver...Why don't you tell me?

You make it sound impossible. Why don't you get yourself to Cambria, CA some day, and check out the Main Street Grill. They serve the same number of people--if not more--than Disney did, with folks literally lined up outside the door, and somehow they manage to serve slow-cooked ribs, steak, chicken, dogs, etc. to hundreds of people per hour, using a wood-fired grill.

Clearly you know little about "Barbecue," versus "Grilling." Big Thunder BBQ's signage actually had to explain to guests that even though their meat was pink, it was in fact fully cooked for hours--because the pink meat folks saw and mistook for raw meat is actually called a "smoke ring"--something only obtained by slow-smoking meat at a relatively low heat--for hours.

They could probably feed lots of folks because they cooked lots of meat. The flame-spewing grill where the cook handed you your main course was obviously NOT the main grill; it was more for "show" than anything else. An assistant was constantly replenishing that grill, whereupon the cook would flip your ribs or chicken a few times before tossing it into your tin tray with a soul-satisfying, mouth-watering "slap." (I'm getting hungry just typing this).

And not all BBQ needs to be slow cooked for hours. Obviously, hot dogs just needed to be heated. Chicken can also cook relatively quickly. The beef ribs, on the other hand, would NEED to be cooked slowly in order to make them as tender as they were

(spoken as someone who, yes, has slow-smoked BBQ beef ribs for seven hours)

And Rancho did and still does have a grill for their meat.
    Again--big difference between "grilling" and Barbecuing."
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 06-20-2008 at 07:51 AM.

• whatever

Quote Originally Posted by snappy View Post
    Like I said in the past: Mt.Everest or Mt.Whitney expedition baby! Disneyland needs another major E ticket ride!
    Mt. Everest and the Matterhorn in the same park? You wouldn't be suggesting the removal of the Matterhorn, would you?

• Banned User

I would love to see them bring back Big Thunder BBQ, but perhaps they can bring it back with a show Sort of a dinner theater thing like Tahitian Terrace used to be.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    mmmmmmmm....... BBQ

The place that was there before, was it like Chris & Pitts?
    The food, yes, but a more limited selection. (Chris & Pitts has burgers and other items besides ribs and chicken.) The atmosphere, no - you pre-ordered and paid, then you did the tray-slide to pick up, then found a table.
    BTBBQ officially closed in January of 01. It had been open only weekends up until then. Rancho opened a month later.

How on earth could they slow cook meat for hours and still serve hundreds of guests per hour?
    Say What? Go do your research on Pit BBQ and Smoker BBQ, and then ask dumb things like that.... I suggest History Channel, they've done several treatises on the subject on programs like "American Eats" showing exactly how it's done and the many regional variations. Texas does it one way for their tastes, Louisiana totally different...

The meat is seasoned with a dry-rub or marinades (or both) and then smoked - in the back of the house where you can't see it, there's a smokehouse. A large box (sometimes huge - a walk-in room with the meat hanging on bars from 3' x 3' x 6' tall rolling bakery racks) with a low fire in a divided chamber at the bottom. The smoke and heat from that fire rises up through the smoker box and barely gets it up to 150F - 170F range, and the meat is in there for 6, 8, 10 hours depending. It cooks slowly and lets it tenderize naturally.

The Pit BBQ method has huge variations on your backyard covered BBQ, but they fire the wood in a seperate firebox and briing in the hot coals with a shovel to to spread under the meat on the pit grilles - direct heat this way, but diffused. Same results, low fired and long cooking times.

It is truly an art and a craft to do it right. And then you eat your artwork.
    THEN they pull several servings out at a time, apply final sauce, toss it on the finishing grill (or in Disney terms, the 'Show Grill') to get good and hot through for serving. (Because it cools off a bit in the tray after removal from the smoker.)

Someone mentioned waste - there's nothing wrong with referigerating the product overnight and then reheating on the Show Grille and serving it for lunch the next day - still counts as fresh, and IMHO it's even better the next day. Or debone it (if it's done right it's practically falling off the bones) and make sandwiches for the Kids Meals. All the Health Department cares about is proper storage - getting it chilled down fast enough, staying below 40F or above 140F and out of the Danger Zone.

But there shouldn't be much waste, considering Disney has their daily attendance projections almost down to a science - as long as the manager gets a feel for interpreting those numbers.

If they cook too little they run out early, because there's that 4 to 6-hour lag time. If they figure it out early they can stoke the smoker a little hotter to catch up and add more meat at lunchtime, and be caught up for the dinner crowd. But you can't speed up too much.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Last edited by Bruce Bergman; 06-20-2008 at 07:20 AM. Reason: their/there slipped by my Copy Editor...
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

They manage to do it at one or two of the restaruants Disneyworld. They have a huge pit with rotating racks that they cycle the meat through. You start very early in the AM and plan according to expected guests per hour how often you would need to add meat to be consumed hours later.

And Grilling is not BBQ. That is a very common misconception. I own a grill, which I grill on, and built my own smoker that I BBQ in.

I don't know how well this will be received, but ... What about a ride through ala BLAB. Ideas could be - one of the "stars" of the show is sick and you help Wild Bill put on a shooting exposition, or it could be Davy Crocket and you could help him hunt a bear, or you could be deputized into a sheriff’s posse (preferably not Woody's posse) and have to catch some outlaws.

A small BBQ restaurant area could still be added to the area too.

• Higitus Figitus

Im all for having an E ticket type of ride like datameister said, what was the last big new ride? ToT? I think it'd also be neat if they took kinda a "blue bayou approach" and put a restaurant in the ride. the only key here is making sure everything is themed and looks well-put-together.
    “If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you.”

• I'm not really here

I'd like to see the area opened up with building facades kind of like the town square in Hill Valley circa 1885. Use the facades of buildings to house restaurant, a few shops and rides. Put facades on the opposite side of the railroad track and block it off on the near side so people can't get to it and use the space for shows (stunt CMs on horses attempt to hold up the train as it goes through town. Could even do a little preshow where they hold up a bank behind the tracks. This is something for guests in the new area AND on the train.

Open up the North West area down to the ROA and move the Explorer Canoes back here where they belong, out of NOS/CC area. Tie it in with the Fort that is still there somehow.

I love the idea of a really high quality bbq old west style restaurant with checked table clothes. Great idea.

Wood board "sidewalks" with hitching posts all along the area. Trees for shade. Flag pole with an older version of the American flag maybe. Could even do a flag retreat here as well as on Main St. except in vintage 1800s military uniform.

Area would probably be best if used for 2 good solid D tickets and a C ticket. At most a single e and some d's or c's.

Leave the path between BTMRR and new area the same, maybe widen a bit. Do not open entire new land up. Still have an entryway into the area like Frontierland's stockade entrance from the hub or something similar. You go through the stockade into a town, then you end up out in the desert with BTMRR and you could enter another town when you enter this newer area.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    *snip*....

Someone mentioned waste - there's nothing wrong with referigerating the product overnight and then reheating on the Show Grille and serving it for lunch the next day - still counts as fresh, and IMHO it's even better the next day. Or debone it (if it's done right it's practically falling off the bones) and make sandwiches for the Kids Meals. All the Health Department cares about is proper storage - getting it chilled down fast enough, staying below 40F or above 140F and out of the Danger Zone.....*snip*

--<< Bruce >>--
    Excellent post, had I seen it before mine I wouldn't have bothered, since you went into much more detail than I managed this early in my morning.

And the reason BBQ tastes better on day 2 has to do with the way the connective tissue breaks down and the chemical reactions when it is refrigerated and then reheated. Again, it's too early to explain better, but you are absolutely right about it tasting better (to me at least).

I say a menu that had Beef Brisket, pulled pork, and Spareribs (save the babybacks for the grill) and two choices of sauce (mild and spicy) would work just fine. You could serve red onions, pickles and sliced tomatoes as garnish for brisket and pulled pork sandwiches, a variety of cold side dishes (potato salad, macaroni salad, applesauce, that sort or thing) Grilled corn on the cob would be an excellent menu option too...and with only cooking three meats you would have enough variety to make several plate choices. Three sizes of ribs...like a three bone, five bone, ten bone portion. You could have chopped brisket sandwiches and sliced brisket plates, and the pulled pork would really only serve as a good sandwich, but I've been known to eat it without bread. The point is you could get a lot of miles out of a limited variety of meats to prepare. Kids meals, lunches and dinners.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast