Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What To Do With Big Thunder Ranch Area?

Oh...and whatever they do with the area, I want them to leave the petting zoo. It's really the nicest one in the country. Yes it's small, but the fact they don't allow guest to feed the animals, and feed them in a different area prevents them from getting food aggressive and it's a nice chilled out experience for the kids.
    Last edited by bluejake01; 06-20-2008 at 09:27 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I'm glad you guys know the bits behind BBQ! For once I can sit here and remain silent.

....until I just posted this I guess.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Mrs. J. Depp

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If (when?) someone brings up Western River Expedition, I'll scream.
    Can I please be there for that??

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by bluejake01 View Post
    Oh...and whatever they do with the area, I want them to leave the petting zoo. It's really the nicest one in the country. Yes it's small, but the fact they don't allow guest to feed the animals, and feed them in a different area prevents them from getting food aggressive and it's a nice chilled out experience for the kids.
    Well...... They're a bit too close now, if they put Big Thunder BBQ back where it was. They need to have a little acreage seperating the petting zoo and the restaurant, otherwise 50 gazillion flies will find out about the Chow Line and take a short trip.

Now I know they removed the "Chuck Wagons" that were the serving line, but I wonder how much of the back Prep Kitchen (Smokers, sides and salads prep, dishwashing and bussing, etc.) is still there and intact. If it is all still mostly intact and in place, reopening a restaurant there just got a whole lot easier - building a themed shelter for the serving line again is a piece of cake in comparison...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Well...... They're a bit too close now, if they put Big Thunder BBQ back where it was. They need to have a little acreage seperating the petting zoo and the restaurant, otherwise 50 gazillion flies will find out about the Chow Line and take a short trip.
    They need separation for another reason too: you don't want guests thinking this is "Adventure Thru Cooking Space".

"Grill-i-fication"

• I'm not really here

Or the little tykes wondering if the petting zoo if "feeding" into the kitchens.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

<-- Officially 113-F (45-C) Yesterday, maybe 118-F (47.7-C) today! And you thought I was kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    They need separation for another reason too: you don't want guests thinking this is "Adventure Thru Cooking Space".

"Grill-i-fication"
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Or the little tykes wondering if the petting zoo if "feeding" into the kitchens.
    No, we don't want people thinking this is either "The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe" with people selecting their steak while it's on the hoof and talking to them or "McFriendly's" with the "Over 1 Million Calories Served" award.

Besides, goats and mutton aren't on the menu at most Que Joints - at least on this side of the border. Can't speak for Latin America.

Gee, I wonder what's for lunch?

(Charter Member of PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals. In moderation, of course.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    No, we don't want people thinking this is either "The Restaurant At The End Of The Universe" with people selecting their steak while it's on the hoof and talking to them
    "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliway's, now at the Disneyland Resort."

That could kind of apply actually... Bobsleded the Matterhorn, defeated Zurg, survived a runaway mine train, escaped the 999 happy haunts, met a handful of animated characters and somehow escaped Mara after being doomed.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    As someone who only went on weekends prior to its "official" closing, I can assure you that it was closed on weekends, too.
    It was open.

Disney Magic? You seem to have all the answers, Liver...Why don't you tell me?
    Because I honestly don't know.

I know that at some point it was decided that the BBQ was far too expensive to keep open. Now I know the food was pretty good, and there was always a decent crowd back there, so I assume the problem was not with the food or the crowds, but rather with the operating costs.

I'd like for the BBQ to come back, but my guess is that if it costs so much money to prepare food the way they were doing it before, it just won't happen the same way.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I know that at some point it was decided that the BBQ was far too expensive to keep open.
    Boy, I'd SURE like to know how BBQ restaurants like the Main Street grill can afford to stay open, then.

Perhaps they are just better managed than Disney?

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Boy, I'd SURE like to know how BBQ restaurants like the Main Street grill can afford to stay open, then.

Perhaps they are just better managed than Disney?
    Lower overhead? Cheaper insurance? Less stringent health code regulations in Cambria? Who knows.

If it is a matter of capacity then I could see it working as a sit-down table service restaurant, but quite honestly I don't think Disneyland needs another one of those. Disneyland needs more QSR capacity.

In fact thinking back to the change at Rancho and the news that French Market is getting it's menu changed, I would put all my money on capacity being the motivating factor in all of those decisions.

• Banned User

How about a BBQ coaster ride? You know, like Big Thunder BBQ Railroad, where you ride big oversized ribs through mining shafts and eat the coaster car while you scream in delight.

• Hello Dolly.

i Think for now a bbq area would be nice.
    But i definatly want them to bring Frontierland something good to make it more popular. When i walk down the Big Thunder Trail im not excited but relaxed(besides seeing BTMR). It be cool if they put a e-ticket in there. They have the room looking at google earth. And something with a really good experience too. Not no buzz lightyear crap, something thrilling and has a great story.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Lower overhead? Cheaper insurance? Less stringent health code regulations in Cambria? Who knows.
    I'm guessing Disneyland did away with their mortgage some time ago. And from what I hear, the employees make squat. So DL's overhead is probably lower. Insurance? Probably the same. Health codes--governed by California State Health and Safety code--the same for both DL and Cambria...

I will tell you that every time we ate at the Big Thunder BBQ, the line--even if only 20 people long--took FOREVER. That thing moved at a snail's pace. If you got in line where it started, you could be there a half hour or more. Definitely NOT efficient. The Main Street Grill has only walk up service as well. Even with the line out the door, you're eating inside 15 or 20 minutes.

Looks like it only comes down to management. Or lack thereof.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 06-20-2008 at 01:09 PM.

• Senior Minion

Health Codes do have local requirements, but I'm sure that's not the problem. I would guess it was a food waste issue. I could see the number of daily guests being harder to predict at DL than a normal restaurant which would cause a lot of food waste of fairly expensive product. That's probably why they were running it on the weekend, when they new they'd have enough guests to sell most of the food. That's why they need something else back there to help even the numbers out on a daily basis really for any eatery to operate efficiently.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast