Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Dark Side Full

Cool Running through fountains

Why is the A Bug's Land fountain perfectly acceptable at the Resort,

yet the now fountain-turned-garden Cosmic Waves is left dry?

Is it because Guests know the proper protocol and exercise due respect at Disney's California Adventure?

Or do Bugs allow children and teens to run around in their chonies, skivies, and tighty-whities for the sake of heat relief?

Despite pulling the plug at Tomorrowland's public bath, did the Imagineers believe things would somehow be different next door?

Does the amount of water being used/expelled matter?

*On a side note, my ex-girlfriend witnessed a toddler urinating through his jumper in Cosmic Waves. She was repulsed, but figured everyone probably does the same thing at pools and beaches...
    Last edited by Anakin; 06-19-2008 at 01:22 PM. Reason: typo
    *People JUDGE me too quickly...

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: Running through fountains

The surface used for Cosmic Waves was deteriorating over time... as well as Cosmic Waves was pretty much a roadblock.

It has nothing to do with the level of Guests, Guests are the same in both Parks... it had lots to do with the execution of how they built/operated/did Cosmic Waves.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

i read somewhere that people were getting soaked and then going into HISTA, and the water was ruining the seats. that's why they closed it.. from what i've read...

• Special Agent

There were a lot of reasons. Roadblock is a big one because it was blocking people from exiting HISTA. The amount of water used in Cosmic Waves was a lot more, and people were getting soaked. The original intent was for guests to study the water patterns and try to make it to the center without getting wet. People aren't that smart though and would just run through it and get soaked.

Then there were the water jets which were continuously getting clogged with the hard Anaheim water and would malfunction and require constant repair. And then the people urinating in the water and cleaning diapers caused them to dump so many chemicals into the water that the smell would make people sick.

It's a shame though that something like that couldn't work in a theme park. It looked awesome at night.

• DCA FTW!

I remember those fountains, when Rocket Rods were still up. Yea it did look pretty sweet at night. I do remember it being a road block at times, since people didn't want to risk crossing it so they'd just go around it.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the ones in front of Bug's Land. Fountains are great for the summer. Best $300 that I ever spent.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    Wow, it's like TL never changed!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

People are nostalgic over Cosmic Waves?!?!?!?!?!

Good Grief, NOTHING from TL98 is worth waxing nostagic over!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

oh, if you like those kind of "things" in Disney parks, don't forget SS Rustworthy over in DCA. Better go visit that soon, as it probably won't be around much longer, either.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I actually liked Cosmic Waves because people would go up to the ball and the fountains would turn on all of a sudden. I would sit and watch adults unknowingly get drenched in the crotch region and I'd find it funny as heck.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    People are nostalgic over Cosmic Waves?!?!?!?!?!

Good Grief, NOTHING from TL98 is worth waxing nostagic over!
    I liked it. It brought a lot of kinetic energy to an area that was nothing but flat empty shadeless pavement.

• Drunken Disneyland Master

Cosmic Waves was pretty hilarous to watch, aashee. My friend and I would watch suckers get soaked and laughed in their faces while enjoying our favorite beverage smuggled in the park via water bottle.
    Anyways, Cosmic Waves was a sess pool and who would want to sit next to a soaking person in HISTA?
    Ahh, Tomorrowland '98.... good times!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

It's a real shame a few stupid and disgusting guests have to ruin it for everyone...some guests do some really strange things.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Anakin View Post
    Why is the A Bug's Land fountain perfectly acceptable at the Resort,

yet the now fountain-turned-garden Cosmic Waves is left dry?

Is it because Guests know the proper protocol and exercise due respect at Disney's California Adventure?

Or do Bugs allow children and teens to run around in their chonies, skivies, and tighty-whities for the sake of heat relief?

Despite pulling the plug at Tomorrowland's public bath, did the Imagineers believe things would somehow be different next door?

Does the amount of water being used/expelled matter?

*On a side note, my ex-girlfriend witnessed a toddler urinating through his jumper in Cosmic Waves. She was repulsed, but figured everyone probably does the same thing at pools and beaches...
    The rules in Fun Fair and the Aqua Farm are that shirts, shoes (footwear), and -of course - pants are required. Bathing suits are permitted and common but tops and shirts are still required.

However, there are not always enough CM's to police the areas and it is only done when there are enough AND it is hot enough to gather a significant crowd.

There are frequent violations because the rules are not posted (nearby) and many wouldn't pay attention anyway. The most frequent violation is no shoes, followed by no shirts for boys. The other day we had one kid (male) who though it was clothing optional

The water is chlorinated and recirculated but not really appropriate for drinking very much.

It's an easy gig but getting kids to pay attention to you can be problematic. Most parents are very cooperative but there's the occasional a**hole who won't do as they are asked: Fountain gets turned off.

If there are any 'emissions' the water is supposed to be turned off and Custodial called but it's not always easy to detect.

Everything you could have passed on knowing ....

I think that Disneyland with much bigger crowds AND a rather wide open area as opposed to a somewhat concealed area probably decided the problems would be magnified.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

The OP was talking about the "level" of Guest that is over at DCA, implying that they are higher class then Guests over at DL? Laughable.

Hrmn. Today I saw kids taking off their shoes and running around in the fountains around King Triton's after I had gotten off from riding Toy Story (only 30 minute wait, we were lucky) and I ran into one of my old co-workers. When she went over there to get a kid out of the fountain, he kept giving her attitude, and when "she wasn't looking", went back into the fountain and she had to get him out again... the entire time the kid got all snotty and was like, "WHY? WHY?"

I finally had it and was like, "HEY! Don't give her attitude, she works here... do what she is telling for you to do, you're not supposed to be in there!". The kid looked at me and got out.

Then the mom came over (lord knows where she was the whole time) and was like telling the kid to get back in there and again my friend had to go over and now tell the mom that kids aren't supposed to be running in the fountain.

How old was this kid, you ask? Oh... about 13 or so. Sigh.

Doesn't matter which Park it is... there are good Guests and there are bad Guests, just like there are good people and bad people outside of the Disney bubble.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    oh, if you like those kind of "things" in Disney parks, don't forget SS Rustworthy over in DCA. Better go visit that soon, as it probably won't be around much longer, either.
    Really?!? Oh No! My son can play for hours (literally) on SS Rustworthy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast