Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Monday - Let's talk about Main Street.

Before I go on any rides I have to stand in front of the vent near the emporium to smell the candy scent they pump out
    mmm...

It's kind of fun to listen to the dental work going on at the dentists office, the sounds form the Hotel Marceline, and the music lessons.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

We really love Main Street, not so much for the attractions, but for the entire theme. From listening to live music, strolling towards the castle, or checking out the cinema, it is hard to beat for atmosphere. Of course Walt's apartment is there as well.
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

The Gibson Girl Ice Cream shop qualifies as an attraction to me. I'm always attracted to go in and eat.

I've not yet taken the time to truly explore Main Street for all its worth yet. Fortunately my wife and I are taking a "grownup trip" to Disneyland this fall and we'll be able to do stuff like that.
    "Say, uh, ever hear of the devil's paint pots? Real mystery of the desert. Bubblin' pots of mud in all kinds of colors."

• Master of Disaster

unfortunately the slower times of the era are overlooked by people of this era rushing through it to get to the rides.

• Minion FOREVER!

Actually, there are several attractions (not necessarily rides) on Main Street.

* Fire Engine, Horse-Drawn Streetcars, Horseless Carriage
    * Main Street Cinema
    * Penny Arcade (ok, it's mostly gone now)
    * DLRR

Also Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was at the Opera House before the 50th.
    Last edited by nish221; 08-24-2005 at 09:54 AM. Reason: oops. See that people already mentioned the vehicles/cinema & RR already

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by yensid98
    That's just precious! Of course you can go in there. Walk through the turnstile and curtains then stake out a place to watch the show. If memory serves, there are five screens each showing a different short. The heavy curtains are there to block out the sun for better viewing.

If it were really a place you were not supposed to enter it would be secured much better than just hanging a curtain. have no fear your next visit and pop on in for a break from the heat and enjoy a show or two!
    It's six movies.

Let's see..I might be wrong since this is completely from memory.

First on the right is "Plane Crazy", next is "Steamboat Willie", farthest on right (as
    you walk in) is one of the "Moose Hunt". I think this was the first one with Pluto
    although he's not named. First on the left is "Mickey's Polo team", the
    middle is the one I don't remember, "Traffic Trouble"? Anyway, the last
    on the left is "Dognapper".

One of my favorite places in DL and an awesome place to cool off on a hot day.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by pveticket
    Before I go on any rides I have to stand in front of the vent near the emporium to smell the candy scent they pump out
    mmm...
    For the longest time, I thought that they just vent the smells from the bakery. I went on one of the backstage shows and the CM guide told us that they actually pump vanilla out those
    vents. Now talk about attention to detail and thinking about the overall "show"!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

When you pass through the entrance tunnel under the DLRR, you enter a whole new world... one that doesn't exist anywhere else. Its a world where everything is clean and nice, anything is possible and everyone is your friend. We've become so numb to advertising hyperbole these days that it might not quite register that the brass plaques are actually telling the truth! Main Street teems with activity and a life of its own. Immediately, you know you've arrived somewhere special. Attractions? There are plenty. (Unless you make the mistake of equating "attraction" with "ride." Even still, there are even a few rides, too.) You've just passed under one of the most significant attractions at Disneyland, Walt's railroad. Those are real, fire-breathing, smoke-belching steam engines up there. Some are over 100 years old. This is more than amusement. This is also a living history lesson, of both American History and Walt's history. Just ahead, parked at the curb is Walt's personal toy, the Main Street Fire Engine... the very same vehicle he used to drive around on early morning tours of his park. Horseless carriages, horse-drawn trolley's and a double-decker bus all contribute to the pulse of Main Street USA. That's a genuine horse-drawn fire wagon in the Fire Station. When was the last time you've seen one? Take a moment to examine both the quality of the refurbishment of this ancient vehicle, and the workmanship and detail of the original builders. Experience 50 years of Disneyland history in the Opera House. View classic Disney animation in the Cinema. Even the shops qualify as attractions... not only for their detailed theming, but by the fact that they are not all cookie-cutter copies of each other. Disneyana, blown glass, magic tricks, artworks... each shop offers something unique. Look up. Read the clever hidden tributes on the windows. Drop into the Market House and listen to a phone conversaton from yesterday... sit down and play some checkers. Hang around under the Marceline Hotel and listen to the man upstairs getting ready to go out. Get a handfull of change and to play with the antigue entertainment machines in the arcade. How many of us can say that we've actually played with each one of them? Stop and listen to Rod Miller's pianistic pyrotechnics. Have your silhouette made. Enjoy a meal and watch the Happiest People On Earth pass by. Find the giant green elephant. Listen to a band or The Dapper Dans. Smoosh a few pennies into souvenirs.

Admittedly, this is not thrilling stuff. There are no g-forces or scary drops. It's simple, folksy stuff. But you could spend at least a half a day on Main Street if you took a notion to do everything.

One more thing... even if you just breeze through on your way to one of the other lands, Main Street is your "Welcome Home." The cares of the world are not allowed through the entrance tunnel. And when you leave at night, the light in Walt's window reassures you that home will always be here for you when you want to come back.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• ROFLCOPTER

I like the nice people who say 'Welcome to Disneyland" with the old looking hats.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

• Senior Minion

Main Street is the first thing you experience when you enter the park--and it's always tinged with that excitement. When you're walking through Main Street first thing in the morning, you know you're going to have a great day. Or at least, you hold that expectation.

And, as you leave, and the street is all lit up, there's always that sadness involved. The joy over the day you had. The regret over the things you didn't get to. The uncertainty (for some of us) as to when you'll get to come back.

It's my favorite part of the park.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Absolutely true.

As I was leaving Disneyland on my last morning there. It was about 10:30 am. I was trying not to get too sad. I walked down Main Street slowly. I did not want to turn around, because I knew I might cry. I just enjoyed the stroll. Took some last pictures. and left. I promised myself, that I would be back. I too love MainStreet.
    My Next WDW Vacation is Aug 18, 2014 - Aug 23, 2014
    Pop Century Resort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12