Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• The one, the only...

Re: French Market Gets New Menu Starting 6/25

Quote Originally Posted by Retrocool View Post
    I figure as long as they have gumbo, jambalaya, dirty rice, étouffée, crawfish, crab, and shrimp dishes, hush puppies, bananas foster, beignets, and cafe au lait, it should be all right. Want a veggie dish? Okra and tomatoes, hopping john, maquechoux, or truffled bourbon mashed sweet potatoes oughta be good.

As for no sandwiches, though, without muffulettas and po' boys, I'm suspicious.
    I love your menu! Sounds healthy to me!!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok. I'll hold off judgment on the quality of the new menu until I actually try it. But with Disney's track record when it comes to their overall food quality I'm not putting my money on it ahead of time. But in all fairness I might be pleasantly surprised.

That being stated, I'm also afraid that they'll start serving with plastic utensils and plastic plates. They did it with Riverbell so it's not a huge stretch to assume that they'll do it here too. And in many ways this is the worst thing of all.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ok. I'll hold off judgment on the quality of the new menu until I actually try it. But with Disney's track record when it comes to their overall food quality I'm not putting my money on it ahead of time. But in all fairness I might be pleasantly surprised.

That being stated, I'm also afraid that they'll start serving with plastic utensils and plastic plates. They did it with Riverbell so it's not a huge stretch to assume that they'll do it here too. And in many ways this is the worst thing of all.
    So what's the difference if it's plastic plates or real thing? The Dish room that washes the utensils is located in the New Orleans' Main Kitchen and with it being slated to go down for a major refurb, it's the only smart and sensible thing to do to go to Plastic for the time being. Besides, who cares as long as the food is good.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I love your menu! Sounds healthy to me!!
    Some of it is, some of it isn't. I have to admit that after visiting New Orleans (pre-Katrina), I'm really rather shocked that beignets and cafe au lait is not a tradition in New Orleans Square.

http://www.rachelleb.com/2006/12/04/...-caf-du-monde/

Now does that or does that not look like New Orleans Square?

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    who cares as long as the food is good.
    I care. Switching to plastic is downgrading..IMO...and when they did that at the riverbelle the food did not taste good. It changed form a place I looked forward to eating breakfast at to I will stop on the way at mc donalds because it's cheaper and tastes far better. ...pretty sad for disney to slip below fast food standards when they used to have pretty decent food.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Thats odd, never heard that plastic plates over regular plates makes your food taste bad. I wonder what happens at barbeques or picnics and regular plates aren't really an option. Likewise I wonder if the groceries from the grocery store taste better coming from paper or plastic bags.

• Progressive Disneylander

Well, there goes my favorite eatery. I loved getting the fried chicken, steak fries and salad entree for lunch -- it was my favorite thing to eat in the park!

Disney can tinker with the attractions all they want, but I don't like it when the mess with my food. Grrrr....

• The one, the only...

I think that plastic wear is a bad choice. It certainly does not help our local landfills.

As to the experience... No fine restaurant would serve its food with plastic wear. When you eat your food with a 'spork' you know that it is a cheap meal. You are not there for the experience, but just to get some grub.

But at a theme park... Eating is part of the experience. Eating good food in a pleasant atmosphere, with plates and real metal utensils makes the whole experience feel like you are special and a guest.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Winter in Oceanside...

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I think that plastic wear is a bad choice. It certainly does not help our local landfills.

As to the experience... No fine restaurant would serve its food with plastic wear. When you eat your food with a 'spork' you know that it is a cheap meal. You are not there for the experience, but just to get some grub.

But at a theme park... Eating is part of the experience. Eating good food in a pleasant atmosphere, with plates and real metal utensils makes the whole experience feel like you are special and a guest.
    I was just going to say everything you just said. Well done! Especially the part about more plastic in our landfills. If it is temporary, I can live with it until the kitchens are up and running fully again.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by Legally Brunette View Post
    Have you tried their fried chicken?
    I'll reserve my opinions on the new menu until I see & try it myself.
    It's more a factor of how long it sits in a warmer or a steam-table after cooking - if the chicken sits for long it will get rubbery and the breading loses it's crunch. You can't just make up one big batch for the day and stick it in a warming oven.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    Thats odd, never heard that plastic plates over regular plates makes your food taste bad. I wonder what happens at barbeques or picnics and regular plates aren't really an option. Likewise I wonder if the groceries from the grocery store taste better coming from paper or plastic bags.
    Plastic plates allow food to get cold too fast, and that does affect taste. A pre-warmed ceramic or stoneware plate with hot food on it will keep the food warm a good fifteen minutes longer, and you can tell.

Oh, and the 'Reduced menu items, Reduced Cost' means that there was another MBA skulking about looking to "Step over a dollar to pick up a penny". They know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    So what's the difference if it's plastic plates or real thing? The Dish room that washes the utensils is located in the New Orleans' Main Kitchen and with it being slated to go down for a major refurb, it's the only smart and sensible thing to do to go to Plastic for the time being. Besides, who cares as long as the food is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    It's not about taste in my opinion. It's about protecting our environment. While the rest of the US is trying to go Green, Disney is moving in the opposite direction. I find that deplorable.

(If they're going to use disposable until the scullery is functioning again, that's one thing. But to switch to disposable permanently....I find that shameful.)

Regarding style choice, it is a standard of nice restaurants to use real cutlery and real dishes. Even if it doesn't change the quality of the food, it certainly reflects a downgrade of standards at the French Market.

Would you complain if you went to Sizzler and they gave you plastic utensils and a paper plate? I would. If they are expecting us to treat it like a real restaurant, and pay real restaurant prices, we should be treated as such with real dishes.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• MiceAge Columnist

If memory serves, the PI chicken is fried in a "pressure cooker", which explains its moistness and sealed-in flavor. I can say from experience (I was a Lead at FM, after all!) that the Market's chicken is fried in baskets 100% similar to what you'd see at a McDonald's for the fries, and the oil is particularly disgusting by the end of the day. It then sits in heater wells that keeps the pan heated to 140 degrees (or higher), so drying out is a real option. The only option, really.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Isn't this the place that serves the French Dip sandwich? My daughter and I share that and the fries for lunch every time we go. If this is going, we are going to be very sad indeed.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Can any other CM's confirm what the OP said? I mean, it seems like everyone is going loopy on this over something one person has stated. Unless I've missed another CM posting that this is true, which is entirely possible.

But even if it is true, let's just wait and see what the alleged new menu is before making assumptions shall we?

Sorry, this is MiceChat, I forgot where I was

Do we know for a fact that they are changing to plastic? I saw that someone wrote that, but I thought they were just being snarky.

I was used to avoiding most disneyland food for so long that I was completely SHOCKED when my friend suggested the Plaza Inn for dinner. YUMMY!!!

I've never been to French Market or River Belle, so I guess I can't be disppointed that my favorites are gone.
    To All Who Come to this Happy Place.... Welcome! Disneyland is Your Land!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast