Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Winter in Oceanside...

Re: French Market Gets New Menu Starting 6/25

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut View Post
    Can any other CM's confirm what the OP said?
    DLR website lists French Market down for refurbishment next week.

• When Will It Return?

Disney cutting costs? Surely you jest! Y-You mean it's true? NO, it can't be!

Here's my opinion on ditching fried chicken - GOOD! Having one less place to get fried chicken in Disneyland hardly ruins your hopes of stuffing yourself silly with the worst stuff possible on your vacation. And if that's what you really want to do on vacation, go take a cruise or something. Some of us out there enjoy having a choice whether we want to clog our arteries some more, or eat something that somewhat resembles healthy eating. No food is ever perfect, but guests should at least have a choice and not being forced to choose between eating fatty food or starve. (I would include eating nothing but overpriced fruit all day under the category of 'starve'.)

-- PMM

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Odd. That place is synonomous with Fried Chicken. Why would they get rid of it??
    Perhaps, but this is the FRENCH corner. The frying method was introduced to the Americas through the slave trade, the slaves brought it to America from Africa, so fried chicken is more of a African thing than French. Also the area of the park is New Orleans, though Louisiana is in the south, it has it's own cooking style (Cajun, Creole), heavily influenced by the French and Native Americans (there's a lot more influence but those are the 2 most important). Fried Chicken is a southern food.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I really liked their French Dip. It really does sound "impossible" not to have some sort of sandwich on at least a lunch menu.

And it really is unfortunate regarding the restaurant decisions that they have made over the past several years. When they go in for a change it's really been bad, With one exception re-opening Cafe Orleans. And this is primarily because they added the Monte Cristo to their menu. However the Chicken Salad they serve at C.O. Is pretty lazy! It's basically a stalk of lettuce that's been rinsed off, (do they even separate the leaves?) and the chicken breast laying on top, barely taking the time to slice the chicken.

Blue Bayou had a MUCH better menu before the changes immediately before the 50th.

Golden Horseshoe's sidedoor cafe used to serve burgers, and beef is a better cowboy choice than deep fried chicken strips and deep fried cheese. yeah, that fits in with their p.r machine talking about being "healthy" .

Rancho del Zocalo has less a selection than Taco Bell. Not to mention the topic that was started recently about people missing a bar b q dinner.

River Belle Terrace took a DIVE after their makeover.

And now they are going do-in the French Market. By looking at what happened to the River Belle Terrace, be afraid, be very afraid. They really have been doing away with real dishes, and promoting plasticware, whenever the fans have spoken up. Of course the prices went up at the River Belle, too, but I was surprised by how much they went up, and of course, Disney will take this opportunity to raise the prices. After all, their costs are going up too, no doubt, but DL may soon be learning that the DL guests might not be so loyal to staying in the park to eat.

here's their menu, as of now:

Entrees
    Royal Fried Chicken with Rice and Beans - Fried Chicken atop traditional Louisiana red beans, bacon, Andouille sausage and rice, served with a side salad and roll. $10.99
    French Quarter Dip - Legendary beef sandwich and Au Jus, served with red flame grapes or steak fries. $9.79
    Riverfront Fettuccine - Fettuccine crested with tasty Tasso Ham-Crawfish Cream, accompanied by a side salad and roll. $9.99
    Deep South Fried Chicken - A southern favorite, served with red flame grapes or steak fries. $10.99
    St. Charles Barbecue Pork Po'Boy - Barbecued pork tucked in a French baguette, served with coleslaw and red flame grapes or steak fries. $9.79
    Down Home Beef Stew - Served in our bread boule and accompanied by a side salad. $10.79

Soup and Salads
    Plantation Spinach and Arugula - Crisp spinach and Arugula served with hard boiled egg, tomato, red onion rings, goat cheese and popcorn shrimp with pineapple bacon dressing. $9.49
    Sourdough Soup Boule - Choice of clam chowder or soup of the day, served in a sourdough cauldron. $8.69
    Garden Salad $2.99
    Last edited by Aladdin; 06-20-2008 at 08:37 PM.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
    Disney cutting costs? Surely you jest! Y-You mean it's true? NO, it can't be!

Here's my opinion on ditching fried chicken - GOOD! Having one less place to get fried chicken in Disneyland hardly ruins your hopes of stuffing yourself silly with the worst stuff possible on your vacation. And if that's what you really want to do on vacation, go take a cruise or something. Some of us out there enjoy having a choice whether we want to clog our arteries some more, or eat something that somewhat resembles healthy eating. No food is ever perfect, but guests should at least have a choice and not being forced to choose between eating fatty food or starve. (I would include eating nothing but overpriced fruit all day under the category of 'starve'.)

-- PMM
    a men
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day ºoº 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Miss Marvel

On a personal note, I was very sad when RiverBelle was made over and took off their clam chowder in a bread bowl. It was the only place in the whole resort that the chowder came with a green salad.

Now, I'm afraid, French Market will be removing their clam chowder as well. (I'm predicting history repeating. As it seems they're trying to avoid duplicating foods at multiple locations.) Only the Gumbo window I suppose.

PS I'm hoping I'm wrong. I really am. And I know. It's total speculation.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

I won't be too upset if the chicken is changed to roasted, but I hope they keep the red beans and rice. I love the plate with chicken, red beans and rice, salad, and a roll. Now they'll probably take away half the food and raise the price. Look at River Belle - they went from a complete bbq chicken meal to a sandwich. BTW, the last few times I had the fried chicken at PI it was incredibly salty. That's probably why people find it plump and juicier - they probably inject the chicken with salt to make it retain liquid.

I'm with Aladdin - I haven't seen any changes to DL restaurants in the last few years that haven't been for the worse, with the exception of the addition of the cheese Monte Cristo. Decreased menu selection and food that's cheaper to prepare but sold at a higher price. I don't go to DL for my health, and I don't eat their food on a regular basis. I don't want or need this Big Brother/P.C crap with some stranger deciding what I should eat. And it does make a difference eating with real silverware and plates. Jeez, even Denny's uses real plates. Eating in a DL restaurant is a complete experience. Plastic utensils and plates are bad show.

Fluffy Club Member

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You won't gain much on the nutrition scale going from "Broasted®" (pressure fried) chicken to oven fried or roasted - the pressure frying process means very little oil goes into the bird - that cooking method was Colonel Sanders' little secret to great chicken, the "11 Secret Herbs and Spices" is a ruse.

And Red Beans and Rice and a side salad is a LOT better for you than french fries, and it tastes good enough you can sometimes actually get the kids to eat it.

We shall see whether they mess up yet another restaurant with an uninspiring and even futrher shrunken menu and radically raised prices. But you'll note that I am not holding my breath...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

I can only usually afford the kids mac and cheese anyway. *shrug*

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Yeah, I'm sorry but I really love the Fried Chicken, beans and rice, salad and dinner roll. And as far as making a big stink out of plastic vs. silverware...I think it is a big deal. Real silverware and plates makes you feel like the meal is a little more special, more classy. I love that. If they start serving dinner on dixie plates and handing me a spork, that's probably going to be enough to make me say, "Forget it. I'll just grab a turkey leg on Main Street."

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    Why blast something that you haven't even tried yet?
    Welcome to MiceChat.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Collapse the waveform

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn in Wndrlnd View Post
    It's not about taste in my opinion. It's about protecting our environment. While the rest of the US is trying to go Green, Disney is moving in the opposite direction. I find that deplorable.
    Disposable may actually be equivalently or more green than reusable. When you consider how much water and electricity go into washing the amount of plates and silver that are generated at DL each day plastic might be better. Not to mention the dirty wastewater from the dishwashers that gets discharged into the sewer system.

Maybe a recycling system for the plastic plates and utensils could be set up? I'd like to see that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @matthamand

• "I Break Things"

If... and this is a big if... they go disposable then at least go biodegradable! Because then I don't feel bad about throwing it away! I also have to agree with several comments. Usually when a new menu comes out it tastes amazing for the first month or so, as Disney actually attempts to impress the park goers. After the first couple months the quality, and quantity takes a nose dive. Also the menu usually opens with noticeably higher prices!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    I loved getting the fried chicken, steak fries and salad entree for lunch
    Plaza Inn has the same exact thing!!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hamand View Post
    Welcome to MiceChat.
    I've been here for way too long. I just thought that people may have learned their lessons from the whole TSMM thing. Blasting something and saying it's going to suck but then it gets rave reviews from practically everybody who's been on it. I guess that's what I get for thinking. Also, if people remember from reading Al's report awhile back, the whole refurb going on in the Old Tahitian Terrace Kitchen is to get it ready for when New Orleans' Main Kitchen closes down for their major refurbishment. It's a much smaller location and it's not going to have the Dishwashing capabilities to wash the dishes for the 4 restraunts that the main kitchen now washes dishes for, so going plastic for the time being until the refurbishment is over is the sensible thing to do. The plastic really isn't cost effective but you have to do what you have to do. Yes, the menu may be changing to reflect the smaller kitchen facilities and yes, they may or may not be going to plastic to reflect this as well, but it's not permament. It's only while the much needed New Orleans' Main Kitchen refurbishment is taking place. Trust me, that place hasn't change since I worked there back in '84 and is needing a major overhaul!!
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast