Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Striking Contrasts!

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." - - Walt Disney

"When completed, Disney's California Adventure will feel more immersive and richer. It will have more heart." - - Jay Rasulo

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Re: Striking Contrasts!

Interesting.
    This is going to make a great debate. Haha.

• Minion

I agree that it is a contrast, but perhaps its more along the lines of talking about when the 1 billion dollar renovation is completed. Or thats just how I see it.
    Jeff Wayne

• DCA FTW!

I see it this way. Disneyland will continue to grow but California adventure has an ending some where in sight.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• =)

I'm with GhostHostJeff. I don't think Rasulo, despite his faults, was seriously implying that DCA is going to be finished. He knows they're going to keep working on it. That's a given. His wording may have been poor, but he was ostensibly talking about the billion-dollar overhaul being finished, not the park itself.

• Hey it's that guy I am.

I think that sums up the difference between the thinking of an innovator and the thinking of a suit.

I bet, if you look hard enough, you can find a quote by Walt Disney himself talking about the completion of Disneyland or the completion of the building of NOS and he's simply referring to the date when construction is completed. Semantics and context.

• Minion

Jay makes me feel completed.

• The one, the only...

I see the difference. Jay sees DCA as a problem that needs to be fixed. Walt saw Disneyland as a place that constantly would be improved.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I see the difference. Jay sees DCA as a problem that needs to be fixed. Walt saw Disneyland as a place that constantly would be improved.
    It could be argued that there should be a difference--DCA IS a problem that needs to be fixed, and Disneyland...well, it was a bit of a problem initially, but they "fixed" it within a few years and then focused on merely improving on it.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

If one is seeking to vilify DCA, one can find fodder anywhere it would appear.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It could be argued that there should be a difference--DCA IS a problem that needs to be fixed, and Disneyland...well, it was a bit of a problem initially, but they "fixed" it within a few years and then focused on merely improving on it.

I think though that Disneyland always had bugs but the problem was never in the ideas, which is clearly the case with DCA. Disneyland always just lacked the money and the technology, which they were constantly creating and fine tuning.

With DCA and 50 years of innovation, there's much to fix.

I know you all already agree with the problems with DCA but I can also see that Jay is implying that DCA isn't a complete park yet. Disneyland is a complete park though will never be completed. Does that make sense?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

>>I can also see that Jay is implying that DCA isn't a complete park yet. Disneyland is a complete park though will never be completed.<<

"Why, you might just as well say that 'I see what I eat' is the same thing as 'I eat what I see'!" said The Mad Hatter.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Jay makes me feel completed.
    Jay makes me feel... done.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I think though that Disneyland always had bugs but the problem was never in the ideas, which is clearly the case with DCA. Disneyland always just lacked the money and the technology, which they were constantly creating and fine tuning. With DCA and 50 years of innovation, there's much to fix. I know you all already agree with the problems with DCA but I can also see that Jay is implying that DCA isn't a complete park yet. Disneyland is a complete park though will never be completed. Does that make sense?
    If I'm understanding you correctly, I agree completely. Disneyland as a whole was in pretty sad shape initially...but the framework for greatness was there from the start. DCA lacked that framework from the get-go, and it's suffering as a result.

Anyway, I find it kinda funny/sad that Rasulo supposedly trying to make the park "more immersive and richer" is becoming fodder for putting the guy down...again. No, he's not the right person for the role he's in. But we shouldn't pedantically criticize him when the heart of what he's saying is that DCA needs to be improved. That agrees entirely with what Walt said and did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast