Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

The Kindness of Strangers

I know I have started threads like this in the past, but I really wanted to throw this one on here. Part of traveling with a bunch of kids is the effect I like to call "organized chaos". It's fun just trying to keep everyone together when we visit, anything else including pictures is an added bonus. I wanted to say thank you to a couple complete strangers, who offered assistance. They may never read this, but it shows the good side of random kindness.

On 6.19 My wife and I entered the park around 8pm. We didn't have the stroller, so everyone was walking. While walking up Main Street, a family going the opposite direction stopped us. They were leaving the park, and wanted to know if we wanted their rental stroller. The father commented that he paid a small fortune for it, and felt no one should have to pay for a perfectly good stroller twice. We declined, but we were very grateful for the offer.

Not sure of the dates on these ones

Some time back my son and I rode Splash Mountain. It was his first thrill ride. While standing in line we struck up a conversation with a family from Utah. My son, while excited, was a bit nervous about that last drop. This family did everything to keep him excited, kept telling him not to worry about the drop. They talked up Splash. When we made it to the front, we all got the log. Before every drop they would tell him not to worry about it, and after one or two would turn around an make sure we were ok. At the end my son gave each of them a big hug! Complete strangers, making sure a little one would be brave enough to ride his first thrill ride.

Storybook is always a challenge for us. It's easy to get in, not so easy to get out. Usually the kids get out before us, and try to run off. In this case we had befriended a family from Austrailia... and they made a point of getting out before the kids, and standing with them as Mom/Dad got out... again complete strangers showing kindness.

And the most obvious of all, MC Meets. From the very first Meet we attended, MC's have gone out of their way to help us, and help our family. An extra set of hands is always greatly appreciated... so to all of you thank you!

So I am not sure if it is just Disneyland, a positive attitude, or nice people... but it is appreciated. My wife and I both believe in helping out whenever we can. I've been known to help catch kids, or help others with strollers. Sometimes it is nice to be on the receiving end, and know that there are others out there who try to help.

If you have any stories please share them.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Following the Second Star

Re: The Kindness of Strangers

I think some really nice things strangers do is just when they talk to you. It's so easy for an hour wait to seem like an hour wait when you have no one to talk to. But when you talk to someone, it seems to go by much faster. Practically every trip I think I get into a conversation with a stranger.

• Snow White Wannabe

I do think it's part of the Disney magic. We were in the park on Monday, standing in line for Splash Mountain, when a woman walked up to us and randomly gave us three FastPasses allowing us to immediately get on the ride. No idea why she picked us but I was very thankful.

On the flip side, I have found myself doing things to distract cranky or tired children. Tuesday night we were in line for Nemo behind a family with 4 children under 8 and the youngest was just beyond done. I pulled out my digital camera and started showing her pics of the princesses I had taken and it was enough to distract her until we got to the front of the ride.

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Cute stories!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's fun to talk to complete strangers. It does help to pass the time. Sometimes, they share an extra churro they got. In return, I share them my special Fantasmic! seating with them,

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Danijo View Post
    On the flip side, I have found myself doing things to distract cranky or tired children. Tuesday night we were in line for Nemo behind a family with 4 children under 8 and the youngest was just beyond done. I pulled out my digital camera and started showing her pics of the princesses I had taken and it was enough to distract her until we got to the front of the ride.
    While not me... from the standpoint of a parent I can honestly say this was greatly appreciated.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

This is great, I always believe in paying it forward. The boy and I don't get much random kindness except I guess he rode the tram and made friends with two great people. We like to give away fast passes when we decide to leave early and that usually makes people happy, and we always try to help people find their way around.

The easiest act of kindness is taking pictures for people. People are SO thankful for that.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• Disney Pinapple Princess

It's so easy for an hour wait to seem like an hour wait when you have no one to talk to. But when you talk to someone, it seems to go by much faster.
    My husband and I love a good conversation with strangers. I find you get the best conversations at the Billy shows @ the golden horseshoe, and at the Cove bar @ DCA. I wouldn't have known about this site if it wasnt for chatters I have met at the bar.
    *** Disney Pinapple Princess *** Cove Bar Crew - DCA** HELL YEAH!!!***
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4e8xunrnijrm.png[/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Disney Dorks of the world unite!

• A Honorary Autobot

Tech's new name is Tech "Blanche DuBois" Skip...

• Resident Ghost

I haven't been to Disneyland enough to experience such hospitality from others. Those were some wonderful stories. It's amazing how nice people are at the parks!

• Senior Monorail Minion

Spring Break of this year. I had mesed up blockout dates and didn't have enought to pay for one (I was 14 at the time and rode my bike). A nice family behind me at Guest Relations gave me $20. I was able to get in ad enoyed the day. I asked for their address to repay them, and they said it was alright and that it was just in the spirit of Disney Magic. How awesome is that. Complete Stranger
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

When I was there in May (solo trip) I got stuck on The Matterhorn during early entry! I was excited. Anyway, as they were unloading us we got the front of the line pass thingie. I went back to the hotel in the early PM, came back, went to dinner and was heading back to the park on the monorail.

I started talking to a man and his mother about different things and they had talked about going on Space Mountain. I was as well, but wasn't sure when. So, as we were leaving I decided to do it then and asked them to join me since the pass was good for 5 people.

We got there and there were no more fast passes and the wait was over and hour and they were so happy I invited them along on my pass!

I LOVE doing stuff like that.

When I was 14 I got to go into the park on my own in the morning. I was waiting in line for the monorail and started talking to a group of kids and their dad. Drawing on my 10 years of Disneyland knowledge to that point I offered to play tour guide. I managed to get us on a ton of stuff by noon and their dad was so happy! They bought me lunch and he offered to buy me a plush toy...but even lunch wasn't necessary. I loved being able to do that for someone.

• Banned User

This past visit I was in line for Monsters Inc., and started talking with a little boy who was in front of me. He introduced himself and wanted to ride with me. His aunt, a very nice woman, then let me ride with them on Monsters Inc and throughout the ride I told them a few tidbits and details about the park, The little boy wanted me to meet his family, and soon enough, for the rest of the day I was with an awesome family from oregon. They bought me lunch, hauled me around the park, and treated me like family all because their little boy liked me. I kick myself to this day that I never got a phone number or myspace URL for the two people (who I thought were teens, but were actually in their late 20's!) who tagged along as well. I hope I meet them again, they were really amazing.

• Disappearing/Reappearing

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer20k View Post
    I think some really nice things strangers do is just when they talk to you. It's so easy for an hour wait to seem like an hour wait when you have no one to talk to. But when you talk to someone, it seems to go by much faster. Practically every trip I think I get into a conversation with a stranger.
    I agree. I chalk it up to being southern...I will talk to anyone. And not that many people talk back. Some just nod their heads.....and that's it. I love it when you just start chatting up a storm.

I wish I felt that same way, techskip. I usually leave WDW wondering how perfect strangers can be so rude, mean and inconsiderate in such a happy place.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Stitchy View Post
    I agree. I chalk it up to being southern...I will talk to anyone. And not that many people talk back. Some just nod their heads.....and that's it. I love it when you just start chatting up a storm.

I wish I felt that same way, techskip. I usually leave WDW wondering how perfect strangers can be so rude, mean and inconsiderate in such a happy place.
    This is why I wish I was closer to the parks. I always find someone to talk to and it's always better when they talk back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast