Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Light Mouses Tiki Adventures

Just to stand on my soap box for a moment...

I hope that the Powers that Be look at this event and notice the truth of the matter which is, "Wow! People feel so strongly about classic attractions that they are willing to wait 6/12 hours in line and pay top dollar for retro high end merchandise that doesn't feature a single Disney cartoon character."

*cough* it's a small world *cough* don't tear down the rainforest to create a "salute to all nations but especially america " *cough* we will pay big money for high end merchandise related to classic rides preserved in their original forms *cough*

/soapbox

• Off to Neverland

Kewt fountain!

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoogie View Post
    Just to stand on my soap box for a moment...

I hope that the Powers that Be look at this event and notice the truth of the matter which is, "Wow! People feel so strongly about classic attractions that they are willing to wait 6/12 hours in line and pay top dollar for retro high end merchandise that doesn't feature a single Disney cartoon character."

*cough* it's a small world *cough* don't tear down the rainforest to create a "salute to all nations but especially america " *cough* we will pay big money for high end merchandise related to classic rides preserved in their original forms *cough*

/soapbox
    WOW! That is the greatest reach yet for preservation of the Rainforest.

The "truth of the matter" is that alot of folks wanted some Tiki Room merchandise, so they went to Disneyland to buy it. Once they got there, they were jerked around repeatedly by Walt Disney Event Services who kept telling them to wait just a little bit longer. These folks didn't go to Disneyland knowing that they were going to have to stand in line for 6 1/2 hours. But by the time this travesty took off, the commitment had already been made. So let's not veer to far from the "truth" shall we?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Truth #1 - We (myself included) waited six and a half hours in line
    Truth #2 - We wanted to spend large sums of money
    Truth #3 - to buy merchandise
    Truth #4 - related to a 45 year old attraction
    Truth #5 - that has remained almost the same over those past 45 years

Yah, we got screwed at the event. But when you take out the emotion of the day, our actions state that what they were selling was something that we wanted more than our time or our dignity. Otherwise we would have left the line and gone to ride Space Mountain. Yah, my principals kept me there as hour five hit, but I never would have waited even twenty minutes for a Buzz Lightyear fountain.

What I'm saying doesn't make what happened at the event right. Doesn't make it how they ran the event cool. Doesn't excuse anything on Disney's part.

But the truth is we stayed. For six and a half hours. All for the chance to buy a plastic bracelett.

And I freakin' love my bracelett.

But this event was something akin to the madness surrounding The Prized Toy at Christmas.

Sad Truth #6?

This probably actually IS the most compelling arguement to save It's A Small World. Because with The Mouse House, it all comes down to money.

And with the Tiki Event? They had a morning something akin to the madness surrounding a new shipment of Cabbage Patch and Beanie Babies.

I shelled out a lot for merchandise. If the Disneyland Tiki Room was like WDW's "Under New Management", I know for a fact I wouldn't have forked over that kind of cash.

I don't know why each and ever person in that lined behaved the way they did. But we did stand in that line. And we did buy merchandise. And it was for a 45 year old attraction that just ten years ago was being eaten from the inside out by termites and management was hoping that things would get so bad they could just bulldoze it.

If they are smart, they'll see they can milk the retro kitch of It's A Small World.

Or they can kill the goose that could be laying golden eggs.

• no YOU shut up!

Blog Entries

Schmoogie has a good point. There are people who are fans of Disneyland itself that may not have the same fascination with all of the Disney characters. Think about how many attractions are related to the "original fab five" characters - very few. In fact, until Toon Town came along, that number was zero. And to that end, people may be infatuated with the Tiki Room or it's a small world or Haunted Mansion, etc. and want merchandise that reflects that. And as collectors, we (myself included) will pay good money for products that reflect what we love about these attractions. I have never, and will never, buy a Haunted Mansion pin that has Mickey in the doom buggy. I'm not saying it shouldn't be made, but as a fan of the ride itself and the superior details inside it, the Mickey pin isn't holding true to the aesthetic and makes it undesirable to own.

By randomly cramming Disney characters into rides where they weren't before seems needless. And I'm sure you can talk to some of the Save the Rainforesters about the million reasons why it's a bad call for the ride. But what Schmoogie is saying holds up: would I pay $150 for a piece of awesome it's a small world merchandise, say a replica of the Rainforest scene? Yes. But if that scene had Goofy holding the umbrella in it, I would say "cute" and walk away with my wallet. And with the way that people have become very vocal about preserving the classic attractions, maybe Disney should take notice. The Tiki Room wouldn't be the same if Iago was the lead parrot, and people wouldn't have turned up in droves and waited hours on end to buy up merchandise with him on it.

• Minion

Thanks for derailing my thread somewhat! (sarcasm)
    Thanks actually for bumping up my thread more! Go higher view and post counts!

On a related note about the amount we spend on non cartoon character merch. I just bought a tiki room charm bracelet and am meeting up with someone to buy a haunted mansion mirror.

• no YOU shut up!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    On a related note about the amount we spend on non cartoon character merch. I just bought a tiki room charm bracelet and am meeting up with someone to buy a haunted mansion mirror.
    Sorry for any derailment, I was just trying to underscore your point: there is a big (maybe fanatical, even) audience for non-character merchandise. And maybe you'll post pictures of your HM mirror? :-D

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by giddygirlie View Post
    Sorry for any derailment, I was just trying to underscore your point: there is a big (maybe fanatical, even) audience for non-character merchandise. And maybe you'll post pictures of your HM mirror? :-D
    It's okay, anything to keep my thread afloat for a week.

Although it might be a better idea to make a seperate thread if you'd like others to comment on the debate about how popular even non cartoon character attraction merchandise is.

I'll be sure to put up pictures of my new mirror! It's getting mailed away to someone else for Christmas though, so it won't be mine anymore.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by giddygirlie View Post
    By randomly cramming Disney characters into rides where they weren't before seems needless. And I'm sure you can talk to some of the Save the Rainforesters about the million reasons why it's a bad call for the ride. But what Schmoogie is saying holds up: would I pay $150 for a piece of awesome it's a small world merchandise, say a replica of the Rainforest scene? Yes. But if that scene had Goofy holding the umbrella in it, I would say "cute" and walk away with my wallet. And with the way that people have become very vocal about preserving the classic attractions, maybe Disney should take notice.
    Great posts Schmoogie & giddygirlie. My hope is that the more Disney jams classic characters everywhere to hype the brand and sell more merch, the more its customers will feel the way you do -- and vote with their wallets. The only way the toonification of Disneyland will stop is when Disney hears "we don't want this!" in the only place they truly listen: their bottom line.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-04-2008 at 05:03 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Don't mess with the duck!

Great shots of the Tiki Room merch. Fountain looks very cool!

• "I Break Things"

Total coolness, thought I had posted that earlier but my wireless must have died. As to the whole non Disney cartoon comments... everyone has a favorite, some include cartoons others do not. I am not a huge fan of the possible additions to Small World, but at least it is still there and not removed *cough* CBJ *cough*
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Light Mouse View Post
    Thanks for derailing my thread somewhat! (sarcasm)
    Thanks actually for bumping up my thread more! Go higher view and post counts!
    That is what Mice Chat does best!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234