Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transportation/Airport Help!

I am going to fly down to visit DL on November 21st with my 10 year old. I have been getting conflicting opinions on which airport is better to fly into--John Wayne or Long Beach. Any opinions from the wise people here at MiceChat?

Also, what ground transportation would you suggest? My hotel doesn't have a shuttle.

Thank you SO much for the help!!
    Next Trip to Disneyland - June 2006 - too long to wait to go again!!!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Re: Transportation/Airport Help!

Both airports are nice...

Long Beach only has a few flights a day, and is very laid back, in fact they still use airline "stairs" instead of jetways.

http://www.longbeach.gov/airport/air..._amenities.asp

John Wayne is fairly new, but can get crowded certain times of the day.

Both Airports are about the same distance to Disneyland, and the best way to get to the DLR is to take a cab, you can get a "flat fare" of around $35 from either airport.

I would go to the airport that offers the best fare.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Rock Star Minion

I have a nice sig line at M-Pad. Answers all frequently asked questions.

For this:
    1. Choose the one with the least number of stops. If you can get into John wayne non-stop, then go for it. If you're coming in from Chicago, JetBlue flies into Long Beach.
    2. Cab or limo service (in many cases, it's just a nice cab -- a town car). Catch a cab outside. Bring money. Set up limo service beforehand, and driver holds up a sign with youyr name on it outside security area as if you were someone important. Each has its perks.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Pick whichever one is cheaper to fly into. I personally love to fly out of Long Beach because it's smaller and more funky.
    A signature should go here.

• insufferable know-it-all

SNA (orange county/john wayne) is probably easier in the sense of getting from there to DL - Either way, carefully compare the cost difference between cabbing or just renting a car. SNA's a lovely airport and fairly busy, but be forewarned that if you're on the last flight of the night and your flight runs too late, you may be forced to land in LAX and get bussed to SNA.

If you use LGB, it means you're taking Jet Blue. Good for you.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I would be flying JetBlue into Long Beach out of Oakland. O.C would come from Sacramento. Jet Blue is cheaper, but driving to Oakland on a Monday morning doesn't sound too fun(the traffic is horrible). Sacramento would be an easier drive for my husband, who is taking me to the airport and then going to work back at home.

Either way, my flight would arrive around 1pm...am I going to be stuck in a lot of traffic? How long would you guess it would take from the airport to my hotel on Harbor (in Garden Grove)?

Also, someone suggested the Airport Bus...it is supposed to be cheaper. Has anyone used this service?

• Junior-Grade Diver

When in doubt, choose JetBlue. Wifey and I have flown JetBlue several times with our young son, and we have never been disappointed. In addition, flights in and out of John Wayne are generally more expensive than comparable flights into the other area airports (Long Beach, LAX, Ontario).

Thanks to all for your replies! I am going to fly into JW because the transpo to my hotel is a lot cheaper!

• Minion

We always fly into john Wayne, and hook up with one of those vans. they take you straight to your hotel, and you can arrange to be picked up then also. If your flight is arriving late morning, early afternoon, it doesn't take any time at all from John Wayne to South Harbor.

• insufferable know-it-all

SAC vs OAK? Wow, I can only really see those being competitive if one is in, like, Vacaville. Either way, it sounds like a long drive!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Reaver of Souls

I live in OC, and I much prefer SNA over LAX. It's just easier to get in and out of, cleaner and less stressful. Of course, I'd choose Long Beach over SNA any day, but it's flights are so limited...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Deogge's Mom just flew into Long Beach last Sunday, and she LOVED it, she thought it was much better than John Wayne......
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by msgmg68
    Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, I would be flying JetBlue into Long Beach out of Oakland. O.C would come from Sacramento. Jet Blue is cheaper, but driving to Oakland on a Monday morning doesn't sound too fun(the traffic is horrible). Sacramento would be an easier drive for my husband, who is taking me to the airport and then going to work back at home.

Either way, my flight would arrive around 1pm...am I going to be stuck in a lot of traffic? How long would you guess it would take from the airport to my hotel on Harbor (in Garden Grove)?

Also, someone suggested the Airport Bus...it is supposed to be cheaper. Has anyone used this service?
    I prefer going out of Oakland, cheaper usually. At 1pm, you shouldn't have too much of a problem. I take the train down (don't see the point in driving 90 mins to Oakland/Sac to fly) and we always get in at 230p, and traffic is rarely an issue at that time. And the Airport Bus isn't usually worth it from SNA and LGB.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Circle of Ancients

John Wayne is a very nice airport. We always fly into SNA (John Wayne) opposed to LAX. Our airliners don't fly into Long Beach, but it sounds like a nice airport. We've had no problems at SNA, just at LAX.

• D'LAND BIRTH YEAR BABY

Why not swa to John Wayne? Done it many times from Sac. Also reasonable fares. Taxi rides in LA are a prelude to space mt, sets you up for the thrills!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast