"Painting" with Glass

Does anyone have any information about the technique that W.D.I. developed for the Submarine Voyage in which color was applied to the surfaces of the lagoon with recycled glass?

For example, how was the glass pulverized? What kind of adhesive was used? And, what equipment was employed to apply the mixture evenly?

• I'm not really here

Re: "Painting" with Glass

I'm not totally certain, but I'm thinking it is something along these lines:

http://www.metrokc.gov/procure/green/paint.htm#4

This link states that they developed a method of using crushed stained glass.
    http://themeparks.about.com/od/disne...with-Glass.htm

That's pretty much all i can find on this. I haven't been able to dig up a patent yet. From what I can tell, it looks like glass is colored appropriately and then crushed into very fine beads and granules and added to paint of the same color. The glass makes it more durable and makes the color richer and more vibrant because it reflects more light than just plain paint would. (This higher amount of reflection may also be what allows the color to last longer without fading)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Many thanks... If I recall correctly, some of the workers were using concrete sprayers to apply the mixture.

• =)

I don't have any specific information on the equipment and brand names and so forth, but if I remember correctly from what I was told, there was very little or no paint involved; the glass was just used with the adhesive, and that's it for the color. It doesn't fade like paint does, it's hardier underwater, and the colors are vibrant. Too vibrant if you take 'em out of the water, actually. Disgustingly so.

I'd like to use a similar technique along with glass mosaics and glass tile.