Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Is the Grand Canyon Diorama getting some TLC?

It's getting some right now.

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Ferde Grofé's piece "Grand Canyon Suite," particularly the movement "On the Trail" does provide the musical score for this portion of the diorama. The piece is suggestive of mules braying and meandering down a trail with tourists on their backs, but the diorama doesn't show tourists--it's meant to look more natural. Besides, from the train's vantage point, any mules on the trail would not be visible.

The Grand Canyon Suite is a delightful piece of music, and paints a full aural day at the Canyon, from sunup until sundown.
    I was lucky enough to find a mint condition vinyl pressing of the entire "Grand Canyon" soundtrack for less than a dollar at a thrift store.

I've always wanted to see the film but doubt it has ever been in print in some ancillary form other than original theatrical release. Am I wrong? Has anyone ever seen it?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    I was lucky enough to find a mint condition vinyl pressing of the entire "Grand Canyon" soundtrack for less than a dollar at a thrift store.
    Is the soundtrack for the 1958 Disney documentary (which is what I assume you're referring to) the same as the Grand Canyon Suite?

• potterday.org

Is the soundtrack for the 1958 Disney documentary (which is what I assume you're referring to) the same as the Grand Canyon Suite?
    If by Grand Canyon Suite you mean the music that plays during that particular portion of the railroad route, yes, it is definitely the same score from the album I found. What is heard in the ride itself seems like a medley of all the motifs from the album.
    Zoe Necrosis

• Knight that says Nee!!

I hope they add some pirates to the diarama...we dont have enough of those in the park, or young Indiana Jones via the beginning of "Last Cusade".

• Storyteller

You know what they should do? Add in the Cavemen Diorama that originally premiered with the Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama at the World's Fair. They only brought 2/3 of the exhibit back to Disneyland. If they still have the Cavemen laying around they should put them in.

• Closed Account

If by Grand Canyon Suite you mean the music that plays during that particular portion of the railroad route, yes, it is definitely the same score from the album I found. What is heard in the ride itself seems like a medley of all the motifs from the album.
    Well...The Grand Canyon Suite is a full classical music symphony. A single portion--"On the Trail"--is featured at Disneyland (edited, of course). What's heard on the train is not a composite of all the movements of the entire Suite.

What I'm asking is, do you have a recording of "Grand Canyon Suite," or do you have the soundtrack (because you mentioned "score") to the 1958 documentary (which admittedly I haven't heard, but believe uses elements of the Suite)?

• Cove Bar Official Dj

makes me want to start sampling some of my dl vinyl for my hip hop productions.... i kid <3
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• Cove Bar Official Dj

wow, nice spam... so creative
    -Ricky
    DLand Connoisseur
    http://www.djrickyjay.com

• Closed Account

What a well deserved update. The Grand Canyon is something my family and I have enjoyed every trip for as long as I can remember, and it gets very little attention. I hope to see it get more TLC in the future. There has got to be new technology to make those dinosaurs even more impressive.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by jfsebastian View Post
    You know what they should do? Add in the Cavemen Diorama that originally premiered with the Grand Canyon/Primeval World Diorama at the World's Fair. They only brought 2/3 of the exhibit back to Disneyland. If they still have the Cavemen laying around they should put them in.
    Except, as far as I have read...Dinosaurs and "cave men" were never actually around on the planet at the same time.

• The one and only

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Except, as far as I have read...Dinosaurs and "cave men" were never actually around on the planet at the same time.

if they put it in, it would most likely somehow go between the two so it would be in order.

• potterday.org

What I'm asking is, do you have a recording of "Grand Canyon Suite," or do you have the soundtrack (because you mentioned "score") to the 1958 documentary (which admittedly I haven't heard, but believe uses elements of the Suite)?
    That there was a classical suite which precluded the film is a surprise to me. What I have is clearly the soundtrack to the film, which indeed has the same motifs as the RR diorama.

Zoe Necrosis

• Fortuosity!

I've always wanted to see the film but doubt it has ever been in print in some ancillary form other than original theatrical release. Am I wrong? Has anyone ever seen it?
    The 1958 Disney featurette (which is what I assume you're talking about) was released as a bonus feature on the 2003 special edition DVD of Sleeping Beauty. Whether or not it will be included on the upcoming platinum edition of that movie is unknown.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• potterday.org

Quote Originally Posted by Angie_Duke View Post
    The 1958 Disney featurette (which is what I assume you're talking about) was released as a bonus feature on the 2003 special edition DVD of Sleeping Beauty. Whether or not it will be included on the upcoming platinum edition of that movie is unknown.
    Well I'll be! Thanks for the info!

You know, when your frozen alligator comes back to life, and your daughter forgives you, and a complete stranger tells you how to see a rare one-reeler, well, there's only one word for it...

Fortuosity, lucky chances
    Fortuitious little happy happen-stances
    I keep smilin', 'cause my philosophy
    Is do your best and leave the rest to Fortuosity
    Zoe Necrosis

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast