Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Re: SeaWolf38's Tour Trip Report

Bub Gurr, OMG! Can't wait for the rest of your awesome TR...

• E T1CK3T

Next, we heard the story behind the giant petrified Redwood tree stump, a story I'm sure many of you have heard before. For those of you that haven't, the short version of the story is that Walt gave this petrified tree from Colorado to his wife, Lillian, as a wedding anniversary gift. Mrs. Disney did not have anywhere suitable to display it in their home, so she donated it to Disneyland, and it was placed on the Rivers of America.

As we moved on, we picked up an extra tour group member!

Next, we headed toward New Orleans Square. I thought we may get a tour of the Dream Suite, but it ended up that we only got to listen to her talk about the proposed original apartment, the Disney Gallery, and the new Dream Suite. She did, however, tell us some stories of how people have been picked to stay there. One was that the Dream Squad selected a certain bench somewhere in the park (I didn't hear where) and waited, and whoever sat on that bench next would be awarded the Suite. Another story was that one time, the Dream Squad tried to offer the prize to a woman, but she believed that they were trying to sell her a time share, so she became annoyed and kept telling them no... that day, they had to try four times before they found a winner who would actually accept the prize.

• Cake Anyone?

How totally awesome! I am so jealous.
    Taking contributions to get me back to Disneyland!

• E T1CK3T

We headed down Royal St. (I'm pretty sure that's the name of this "street" in NOS...)

We ended up outside of the seemingly ordinary door marked by a "33" outside (I don't know who that guy is standing next to the tour guide... he was just in the shot and never moved until the door opened behind him).

And soon we had entered the lobby of the private Club 33, hidden above New Orleans Square!

My friend works here as a hostess, and she told me that if she was working, she would go up and get me one of the lapel pins they sell there for $10, but unfortunately her work schedule was changed and she wasn't there. Anyways, this is the antique elevator that was built for the club (the pics are sideways, sorry).

I look super retarted in this pic, but oh well, I'm in front of the elevator in Club 33, so I couldn't ask for EVERYTHING haha.

Then it was time to leave Club 33, and move on with the tour.

I need to ask - would you think this tour would be suitable for a child - 9 years old? We're going in August and looking to possibly take this tour. We're also going to do the Discover the Magic tour...

Thanks!

• E T1CK3T

Next was something I had never seen before. In the Crystal Shop in NOS, there is a silver plate mounted on a wall near the top of the ceiling, which has Walt Disney's face on it. The face "follows you" as you move and look at it, using the same technique as the Haunted Mansion busts.

Next was some audio about the Haunted Mansion, but we did not go on it or even by it, but rather boarded the DRR instead.

We got to take a trip with the Fred Gurley... I hoped we might be able to take a ride in the Lilly Belle, but no such luck.

The short trip was nice.

And we then arrived at Mickey's Toontown Station.

• E T1CK3T

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydj View Post
    I need to ask - would you think this tour would be suitable for a child - 9 years old? We're going in August and looking to possibly take this tour. We're also going to do the Discover the Magic tour...

Thanks!
    I'm not quite sure... it depends on how much he or she can listen... its alot of talking, and not many rides, so if he or she is ok with that, then it is a great tour to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWolf38 View Post
    I'm not quite sure... it depends on how much he or she can listen... its alot of talking, and not many rides, so if he or she is ok with that, then it is a great tour to go on.
    Good to know - Thanks. I think she'll be good with the listening. I just didn't want to ruin any of the magic for her...

• E T1CK3T

We didn't venture into Toontown, but went outside the station to stand near It's a Small World. There was audio of Walt talking about IASW, and it was a little awkward with most of the facade being covered in green tarps, only the clock tower showing.

We were then led down Matterhorn Avenue, and I got a neat shot of the snowy peak.

Here, we heard audio about the Matterhorn, and were told by the tour guide about the mountain and about Tomorrowland... it kinda bothered me that we never actually went into Tomorrowland, but I shrugged it off.

Next stop was Snow White's Wishing Well.

• E T1CK3T

We were told the story behind the well and the marble COPIES of the original statues of Snow White, the deer, and the 7 dwarves.

Here's an artsy shot I took while we were there.

We then ventured into the castle via the side entrance from the well, and I took some more shots as our guide explained things about the castle.

A clock that I had never noticed hanging inside the castle.

Then it was time to head out over the drawbridge and over the "moat".

• E T1CK3T

Outside the castle, we were told of how the castle was originally supposed to be built the other way around, but Walt decided it should go the other way. We were also told that the swans in the water below were removed about a year ago because of the scare of the Avian flu spreading. Also, Disney's coat of arms on the castle was also pointed out.

Next, we began to head down towards the Central Hub and Main Street.

• E T1CK3T

We headed down Main Street...

... and ended up at the Main Street Cinema. Here, we were told the history of the most famous mouse on earth, and how Walt created him.

Outside, the tour guide showed us the window honoring all of the cast members that have ever worked at Disneyland or will work there. I had heard about this window, but never seen it, so it was cool to be able to see it.

• E T1CK3T

The tour was almost finished, and as we passed by the train station once again, audio of Walt came into the speakers...

He was describing when he first arrived in California, in the Hollywood of old... how he only arrived with a cardboard suitcase, and barely anything to his name... I realized that this was what the new California Adventure entrance was all about... it really put alot of depth into all the concept art and ideas I've heard here on Micechat and Blue Sky Disney.

Our tour guide then told us a little about the expansion to the entrance (kind of ironic) and how there would be a statue of Walt with his suitcase in the newly redesigned park. After that, it was time to head back to the Tours center, so I took one last look back down Main Street.

We returned to the center...

... and found that all of our lunches that were ordered before the tour began were now all laid out, sodas and all, waiting for us.

While we ate our dinners (mine was a smoked turkey sandwich with swiss cheese, potato chips, a Diet Coke, and two Toll House chocolate chip cookies), the tour guide and another guide came and gave us each a nice gold pin to commemorate our tour. After I finished my meal, I hurried off to secure my Tiki Room birds pin set. Luckily, they still had some left (and now that brings my special Disneyland pin collection up to 107 haha). Then, my family and I ventured over to TSMM to take a spin on it, then headed home. Overall, it was a great tour and a great day period. I don't think I can ever forget it. Thanks for coming on the tour with me, and I hope you enjoyed it too!

THE END
    Last edited by SeaWolf38; 06-25-2008 at 02:11 PM.

• DCA FTW!

Great Trip Report, looks like you had a lot of fun. The whole walt holding suitcase statue coming to DCA is odd but cool none the less.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Nice TR SeaWolf! Love the castle shots.
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast