View Poll Results: Do you believe TSMM and BLAB are similar?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 32.88%
  • No

49 67.12%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• "I Break Things"

Re: Are TSMM and BLAB similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    They could probably make a massive digital projection of all the working targets of Buzz Lightyear and it would be the same ride essentially. Would it still be a glorified shooting gallery? or just a glorified video game shooting gallery?
    I completely agree that they are pretty much the same. My annoyance is mainly with the choice of medium in which it is presented. If BLAB were to rely on just the screens as you described instead of actual targets then I would be complaining just as much.

Now that you opened that door (thank you Ewok) what if BLAB incorporated BOTH technologies? Instead of forcing TSMM to become a shooting gallery, make BLAB a complete one by designing the screen technology in the room transition tunnels! This would have allowed WDI to showcase their technology and also allowed them to focus on an actual Attraction at the same time (making TSMM into an actual attraction instead of a glorified Duckhunt).
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

After finally seeing TSMM...some comments

The ways in which they're identical:
    Their predominant objective is to earn points by shooting at targets
    They both have an overlying theme originatong from the Toy Story franchise
    And they're both dark rides, but duh.

A few contrasts and observations:
    BLAB: True actually-there experience, 3-D if you will, rather than virtual. Not a video game by any means. "Electronic targeting and scorekeeping" =/= "video game"
    TSMM: Essentially several short video-game sessions with some nice ride motion in between each. I think it could be better in the setpieces between sessions. Animatronics have been suggested, which would have been a plus. As for the video part, for me there's no 3-D whatsoever, but this is because of a visual limitation (strabismus). (Yes I did use the glasses; without them it would be quadruple-vision instead of double-vision.)

The "ride" aspect in TSMM is quite nice, whereas in BLAB it's irrelevant. Shooting targets takes precedence in both, of course.

TSMM: Variety of targets and projectiles
    BLAB: One overall

BLAB: Nice theme overall
    TSMM: Awesome theme overall

Nice opportunities for scoring "bonus" points in both. I don't mean the ride stopping as in BLAB, but rather hitting specific targets which in turn reveal higher-value ones. (in TSMM I still have a lot of them to learn about for sure, having only played once so far.)

• Iron-Clad Allie

Don't mean tbe a BLABber mouth, but the ride props and overall design is cheesy. The vehicles come to a standstill frequently. This loser attraction needs to go. Haven't done TSMM yet. Although, the photos and videos of the ride make the ride appear to be supr in every way. The two rides are similar in the fact that they are both shooting arcade game rides. As far as quality and the creative element, they couldn't be any more different.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Troublemaker

Re: TSMM and BLAB

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    They're as similar as the Matterhorn and Big Thunder Mountain.
    Interesting point, however still not quite right.

They're as similar as the Submarine Voyage and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Although the new version has some interesting effects, and the old one was outdated and needed some sort of TLC... I would rather have the old one back. There was a charm that all the state-of-the-art effects in the world couldn't top.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyphenom View Post
    Interesting point, however still not quite right.

They're as similar as the Submarine Voyage and the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Although the new version has some interesting effects, and the old one was outdated and needed some sort of TLC... I would rather have the old one back. There was a charm that all the state-of-the-art effects in the world couldn't top.
    Just like yesterday, I have fond memories of the original Sub Voyage - nevertheless, I'm glad to be moving on with an upgraded version coupled with a fresh Finding Nemo storyline and modern effects.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Troublemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Just like yesterday, I have fond memories of the original Sub Voyage - nevertheless, I'm glad to be moving on with an upgraded version coupled with a fresh Finding Nemo storyline and modern effects.
    To each his or her own. I went on the old version of Subs every visit. I've gone on the new one once, and don't really see a need to go on it again. Same goes for TSMM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    What fresh storyline? The storyline is the movie dubbed down to 15 minutes.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    TSMM is way more fun than the now outdated BLAB.
    Umm BLAB opened only 3 years ago...

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    Yeah, but it seems outdated now compared to TSMM.

• Banned User

I see what you mean.

But, on the other hand, the aim for BLAB was to be more of a dark ride than a high tech experience anyways.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post

And opened even earlier than that in Florida way back in 1998! That's 10 years ago. So if it feels outdated there's a reason.

There's a way to really spruce up Astro Blasters that will increase the longevity of the attraction... and there's no need to redo the track or anything. They just need to stop making it a toy and make it a real space mission. They'd have to gut the targets and build them all over again... but make them real (not toys). Robots hiding behind rocks and popping up to shoot back. If you get shot, your vehicle spins out for 2 seconds. I want this to be a REAL adventure invading Zurg's fortress... not a fake one.

Even those who don't shoot can enjoy the brief storyline and effects of infiltrating the fortress. The beginning and end can be through a time warp tunnel to bring you back to headquarters... also redone to look GOOD (not cheap).

If they do that, I'll love Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters infinity times better than TSMM and beyond.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    And opened even earlier than that in Florida way back in 1998! That's 10 years ago. So if it feels outdated there's a reason.

There's a way to really spruce up Astro Blasters that will increase the longevity of the attraction... and there's no need to redo the track or anything. They just need to stop making it a toy and make it a real space mission. They'd have to gut the targets and build them all over again... but make them real (not toys). Robots hiding behind rocks and popping up to shoot back. If you get shot, your vehicle spins out for 2 seconds. I want this to be a REAL adventure invading Zurg's fortress... not a fake one.

Even those who don't shoot can enjoy the brief storyline and effects of infiltrating the fortress. The beginning and end can be through a time warp tunnel to bring you back to headquarters... also redone to look GOOD (not cheap).

If they do that, I'll love Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters infinity times better than TSMM and beyond.
    took the words right out of my mouth... that would be interaction.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Animation Domination

Nautilus Wrote:

Yeah, but it seems outdated now compared to TSMM.
    BLAB is not outdated look at both BLAB and TSMM they are both interactive games.

• Supermom

I'm not a gamer. I'm the mom of 2 little ones and we all happen to be bonkers for anything Pixar.

We've been enjoying BLAB, but mostly because we can ride early and then FP it for later in the day. My 2 year old loves Buzz and Zurg so he mostly just takes in the action. The 5 year old doesn't shoot well so he observes it as well. He likes to use the spinner mechanism too. Of course I'm shooting targets like mad!

What I LOVE about TSMM is the encouragement you get from all the beloved characters. They're motivating you, giving you the 5 second countdown....it's great. So for the teeniest riders, it's like their favorite Toy Story characters have come to life!

Plus, the physical aspect of TSMM is more of a thrill. I like the spins and smoothness of gliding along the track. I love this ride.
    Last edited by HelenParr; 06-27-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: can't spell!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123