Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Wall-e consumerism at the parks? And Possible ride tie ins?

I just saw Wall-e this morning this post isnt about the film but ill suffice it to say it is awesome in so many ways not the least of which is its very powerful message.

At its heart it takes many of the behaviors of people today and projects them into the near future, out of control consumerism, digital alienation of people, the increased weight gain of a lethargic over fed improperly fed populace.

( As a truly disabled person with MS the scenes of the overweight atrophied humans getting around in hover chairs reminds me of the many times I needed to use an electric wheelchair only to find they were all taken by people I suspect were just too overweight and out of shape and not really disabled with a debilitating disease)

But all these seem to fly in the face of the way in which Disney markets to its guests! In a way the film IS about a typical guest experience at the parks being bombarded with junk food and plushy toys from china, t-shirts and just plain overpriced junk.

I havent been in the last few weeks but i am curious to see how they are marketing wall-e in the parks, are there endless plush robots etc??

I guess one question is, IS there a way for Disney to both capitalize on the films popularity but do it in a way that PROMOTES the films messages??

As for new ride/attraction ties there are possibilities but only if they also promote the messages of the film.

It does have monorails in it (they no longer work btw! how prophetic!)

And it has a people mover but it would be an impractical design for the parks as it is just a flat platform for carrying robots and people.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

• Dave

Blog Entries

Re: Wall-e consumerism at the parks? And Possible ride tie ins?

Fisrt I take my hat off to you, keep up the fight. I haven't seen the movie yet but I think the people mover would be the perfect tie-in.
    Dave

There is a plush. It is unusual in that it is not a "furry" plush, more of a straight fabric stuffed-toy. The fabric is printed with the details of Wall-E like his power-remaining light and such. Not very cute and cuddly really and I am a big fan.

I did pick up an "infinitely-posable" action figure. It sits next to me here at the computer and is quite amusing. $8.95 at the Emporium...
    Last edited by mickeyandme67; 06-28-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: x
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Actually it was hard to find Wall-E stuff in the park - or at least the variety that one finds on Ebay and the Disney Store. They had: plush, interactive Wall-E and Eve, and the small figures but did not have the U Command Wall-E or the remote control Wall E and Eves nor did they have the Wall-E MP3 player speakers. I hope they roll more stuff out as "I love Wall-E" and want to share my money with Disney!!!
    Minnietoo

• "I Break Things"

interesting commentary, personally I am not a fan of the movie... but I am curious how Disney will handle the message that went with the movie itself.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• cmcmcmcmcmcmcmcmcm

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    interesting commentary, personally I am not a fan of the movie... but I am curious how Disney will handle the message that went with the movie itself.
    Is there a Wall-E thread where I can see your reasoning? You are breaking Boy Solo's heart.

In other news, not much merch that I could find in the park, but the merch I found was adorable.

"I'm not funny. What I am is brave." - Lucille Ball

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

I'm betting Disney will just simply ignore the film's "message" and do anything and everything they can with Wall-e to make money out of it through us.

I'm all for Wall-e Park influenced junk all over the place.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by ashley solo View Post
    Is there a Wall-E thread where I can see your reasoning? You are breaking Boy Solo's heart.

In other news, not much merch that I could find in the park, but the merch I found was adorable.
    They have a review section, I posted my thoughts on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
    I'm betting Disney will just simply ignore the film's "message" and do anything and everything they can with Wall-e to make money out of it through us.

I'm all for Wall-e Park influenced junk all over the place.
    I am glad I am not the only one who will see irony in a Wall E AA scooping up and compacting cups, napkins, maps, and kid's meal boxes and other discarded items with Wall E plastered all over it!

Reading some of the posts about buying wall-e merchandise is interesting I wonder how many have seen the film yet?

Even tho I am a firm believer in the message of the film, I am also a big robot fan and the full sized fully functional wall-e for $250 is very tempting! LMAO :-)

Unfortunately for us all the message of the film is most likely going to become a reality in this century as the film predicts, if for no other reason than runaway over population, even if we all lived a "green" lifestyle there are just too many humans and many more billions on the way to be sustained by the earth. With our ever growing overweight problems, increasing alienation due to living vicariously thru the internet, and detachment from the reality of how much resources we consume needlessly we are already about 1/3 of the way there now.

I personally believe the future survival of the human race is in space but not for the reasons in the film.

One thing I keep thinking is were there other ships like Axiom out there somewhere? It didnt seem like there were there was no mention of any other vessels and although difficult to tell how many humans on board it didnt seem like more than thousands when they were all called to the Lido Deck during the crisis, so what happened to all the many billions of other humans....... hmmmm

I am glad Lasseter and pixar had the power and the inspiration to use that power to make this film it clearly could not have been made by corporate entertainment without the power pixar has to do what it wants.

As for any upcoming attraction tie ins the escape pod from the film would make a nice ride vehicle
    Last edited by GothicManor; 06-27-2008 at 11:09 PM.

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

Is there a rumor that there will be a hidden WallE at TSMM as well as Tinkerbell.

• Infinitized!

Well here's my WALL-E Chinese-produced consumerism I got today:

I'm guessing these are available at the parks and not just at the Toys R Us?

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicBear View Post
    Is there a rumor that there will be a hidden WallE at TSMM as well as Tinkerbell.
    There is now

One thing I just thought about. It wasn't until the humans got back to Earth that they "learned"... because even in space they were just amassing garbage and then chucking it out!

Heres a BIG question about it:

If there were only a few thousand people on Axiom and it was apparently the only ship where were the other 99.99% of the billions of humans?

The earth evacuation apparently took place in 2100 ish by then there will over 10 billion humans (way too many for earth to support we are past the limit now) are we to assume when BNL CEO and earth president Fred Willard dons his gas mask and says "lets get the Heck out of here..." that only a few of the rich and powerful got to board Axiom for the 5 yr space cruise and the rest of humanity had to stay and perish suffocating and starving to death??

hmmm............

— Walt Disney

BnL Jingle:

"Buy n Large, it's your Superstore, All you need and so much more, Happiness is what we sell, that's why everyone loves B n L... "

Ironic that shelves at Walmart and Costco will will be full of Wall-e toys (made in china, lets just hope they arent "overly" toxic) to be sold by Disney......

— Walt Disney

Yeah its ironic...

All I know is Pixar is the brains behind the great Disney films of the past decade.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast