Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[6-25] Manic at the Midway! A Partial Trip Report

This visit had just one main motive: ride Toy Story Midway Mania!

When first going to photo-bucket to load these:
    [pic won't work--this is supposed to show a "Toy Story Mania!" ad]
    Coincidence?
    I have a better idea. Instead of "Shoulda had a V-8", we'll change it to "Shoulda read the big sign" *donk!*

Average busy-ness today

--------
    A round of you-know-what, immediately followed by a second round.

For those of you wondering where and how you add your initials to the top 10:

This is after you pick your picture and before the email screen. There's no numbers for some reason; just letters.

6th place followed by ... 6th place. The picture got dropped, so this #6 went up as an LGM.

BLAB was certainly bedeviled with gremlins today. Dropped pictures of course, but also it was later when I realized there were no targets being lit at all. That 737k turned out to be the best I could squeeze out of the thing without any lit-target bonuses. Things would get even more interesting later in the day.

Screwaroundery in the form of Copycats-R Us: Royal Unattractiveness. (I hold this between or under my knees during the ride. Although it's tight-fitting and unlikely to go anywhere, I don't want it going missing, or to give the ride operators 31 flavors of grief due to tardism on my part. Time to put the custom utility feature to use.)

--------
    Look who joined us at tea time!

Where'd he learn to do that? *looks away nonchalantly*

--------
    There are still a few--a very few--places in the park I haven't been to. (On-stage that is)

Where does this go?

Haven't been in here I don't think...

Further...

Oh yeah, that! So this is where it's at.

These little out-of-the-way areas are one thing that makes DL so interesting.

--------
    It's time to fulfill the main motive of this visit.

I would use a car like this maybe once a year...

--------
    TSMM Time!

DCA's Mecca awaits! I really dig those blue windows at Ariel's Grotto.

The line started here. This was taken at 10:54. The wait was about an hour and 40 mintes overall.

Cooling off the Cali Screamin LIMs. The launch lasts very close to 4.5 seconds, however most of the acceleration is in this first 40% or so that has the mist on it.

11:04

Getting antsy

11:28: Close, yet far

While behind [find and add name of new ODV], the line stalled for at least 15 minutes; the ride seemed 101. The Cali Screamin trains roaring past quickly got obnoxious. A CM came by and told us that it was ... back up and running--MUCH preferred to being told it was down!

I took a series of pictures meant for a panorama. But first I need to write some software that transforms the perspective of pictures so they join correctly.

11:47. At last, ready to join the main line! Looks like the sign grew ears again. Coincidental--this was snapped in a hurry to keep from holding up the works.

Absolutely superb animatronics. Because you went from the secondary queue to the main one in groups, you didn't wait here and there wasn't time for much interaction.

Camera had been wigging out: there were connections loose or breaking. If you gave it the Technician's Quick Fix (in other words, a mild whack on the side) it would temporarily work correctly. I was guessing a loose or torn flexi-circuit, cracked PC board, loose component, etc.

But before long it 101'd altogether. That's it for the pics today--looks like Mr. Potato Head has the honor of being the final pic taken by this camera today or possibly for good. Note that the correct spelling has been used. *chorus of "oh shaddup" ensues*

The time had come. I'd thought quite a bit about it; even showed up in dreams at least twice. Not obsessively, but had certainly beein attracted.

TSMM--loved it, loved it. This is my new must-ride ride here in DCA. After first hearing about it using 3-D screens, I had assumed it was using some new glasses-free technique. But I in fact had dreamed up an idea for a glasses-free 3-D technique on the spot, and for some weird reason figured the ride was using this. I found otherwise from pictures from CM previews. Because of strabismus (cross-eyed-ness) I don't have actual depth perception at all outside of a couple feet, and can't see any 3-D whatsoever. The image still needs to be demultiplexed, so I do use the glasses. It'd be a quadruple image without them. 3-D or lack thereof didn't seem to matter: it plays the same either way. I found the ring-toss scenario the easiest. My score, after playing the first time, was 88,600 at 32%.

Lunch at Cocina Cucamonga on impulse; it was decent. I was supposed to get the veggies-side in place of the rice/beans side, but got both instead. Muchas gracias--that was very kind

--------
    I went back to the car and pulled the camera apart to see if it was something that could be fixed in the field. As expected, there were several flexi-circuits, but a couple needed precision pliers to unplug without tearing them. Repairing full-scale flexis is enough of a pain as it is. Tiny-scale ones like these would be entirely impractical to mend. So would a cracked PC board of the scale used here. (As of now I haven't had time to look at it again. If it's not practical to repair I might find an identical nonworking one, cannibalize the two and refurbish a new one out of them.)

I put it aside for the day. I don't care so much about not taking any more pictures, but realized I rely quite heavily on it as a timepiece in order to plan for/around shows and parades. I intend to get at least one more before next trip, in order to have a spare on hand. Probably previous-year models from a refurb-seller on ebay.

--------
    The rest of the day went in the usual manner. Here are various comments, in mot-quite-chronological order. Got back to DL for musical chairs, and just missed a few minutes off the beginning. The whole troupe was there this time, along with Terrific Pianist. (I didn't get his name.) Saw Parade 1; all my faves were representin'.

--------
    Hop: DCA. The Pixar Play Parade is BACK. As in all the way, and looks great. I looked at Monsters, Inc for the first time. (Are the screens on the cars supposed to do anything? They were blank when I rode.) Roz ratted me out at once--so much for getting away with it. *pouts*

Later I wanted to get in a second round of TSMM, but after heading over to DCA later in the evening it had just closed. It's 9pm on weekdays, not 10. Plus, a minor quibble: leaving the entrance gates half-open and the lights on just confuses and irritates guests when we go over only to be told "we're closed".

--------
    Hop: DL.
    For Parade 2 I went to my usual place across from the teacups, and got my favorite showstopper spot-on. Some more unscripted comments, this time from the Great One himself.
    Went through the very awesome main queue of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin for the first time.
    Did the Essential two, of the Big Three. Rode each side of Matterhorn after dark, and noticed something interesting: in the straightaways after the lifts, the ceiling was covered in coarse mesh like burlap, and the lights were on above in the workspace. Not exactly the best show, but it was neat to see.
    Remember from in front of Innoventions. Then dinner, which consisted of this ingenious creation called Main Street Mocha Sundae from Gibson Girl, which I enjoyed during that big show on the water. (As real as it may seem, it was only in Mickey's dream. Oh sorry, not that Gibson girl.) After Fantasmic! I wanted to try and get on Indy, which I've still been on exactly once. But half the park had the same idea and I quickly called it off, not wanting to use up the last hour on a single ride. (Laziness = no fastpasses)

A couple more rounds of Buzz and another spin on the Big White Ride that's Lots of Fun finished out the night. Somebody called out "nice score on Buzz" in my direction. I didn't think anything of it, figuring it was for somebody's #1 on the screen and he/she was nearby--until I saw the screen afterward. It was in fact yours truly up there, with not a #1 but an unspectacular 40-something-place score from a round I had played around 4:15, right after the first parade, in which the picture had gotten dropped. Apparently not quite dropped after all. And had probably been up for half the day? You gotta wonder. I'd always just seen #1s. But if you look at the fine print on the enter-your-initials screen, it does simply say "photos of high scorers may appear...". Maybe a CM did it intentionally.

An attempt at avoiding the flash on the Space Mountain ride-photo in a humorous way must have been successful: one or two guests were specifically taking up-close pictures of that part of the photo on the screen afterward.

--------
    Adios, DLR--see you in August. During the socal-AP blockout period I want to get to Universal Studios (haven't been since I was young) and a few other destinations. I'm a bit Disney'd out to be honest. This will be a decent break.

Goodnight.

• "I Break Things"

Re: [6-25] Manic at the Midway! A Partial Trip Report

Sorry the camera broke. I have to be honest I can repair PC's, and currently do tech support for a variety of electronics... but I never took a camera apart let alone cannibalized it.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Evaporate, tall person!

I live in the Inland Empire of Southern California..
    Blog Entries

Aww.. I'm sorry the camera broke..

Great pictures.. wow.. I figured the line would be that long.. are they gonna start putting up shady umbrellas like they did for Nemo? Or have they already and I just totally missed that in your pics??

I dont know if I could survive waiting in that long line without some good shady areas to look forward to..

DISNEYLAND: It even makes science geeks look cool!!

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

Thanks for the Trip Report, Highleveller! I'm glad you had fun!

Also, I love the hat. haha

[quick reply before I sign off]
    Feedback appreciated, like always

Re: camera: I do electronics, although things aren't made to be repaired nearly like they used to. It's no big deal though for the most part; I would have just posted mostly pictures of the usual, although it would have been nice for a few things like that BLAB screen. I plan on going with at least two point-n-shoot digicams next time.

Re: TSMM line: the queue space outside the ride was partially covered by umbrellas. Maroon/beige striped--you can see a few of them in the pics. Along the pier it was just the one structure.

Re: headwear: thanks. That's my official DLR hat and it especially gets compliments left, right and center, including from characters in the parades a lot of times.

• For You!

Sounds like a long, fun day. Sorry about the camera - if mine broke, I'd probably just toss it and have to get a new one!

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Bummer about your camera. Lovely pics though! Nice work!
    "C:\Documents and Settings\martinla\My Documents\My Pictures\WINDVD Capture\cap014.jpg"
    Home away from Home.

• Directly directed

Pretty shots! And total bummer about your camera. Sorry the whack to the side didn't make it work. It always works with mine.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Just try unseating and reseating all the flexi-cable interconnects, and any mating connectors between stacked main boards. If it isn't that, they really are made to be disposable - unless it's a really simple fix you can't get repair parts for less than a new camera costs, let alone paying for labor. Or go buy a parts burner and make a Franken-camera.

The only time to spend money repairing a consumer digital camera is when you need a certain feature and they don't sell it anymore - I had my Mavica CD-1000 fixed because the replacement (to get that long of a lens without resorting to the "Digital Zoom" cheat) would need to be a full-on Digital SLR with a 300MM telephoto. $1200 at least, and probably more by the time I got out of the toy store...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Defying gravity

There are still a few--a very few--places in the park I haven't been to. (On-stage that is)

Where does this go?

Haven't been in here I don't think...

Further...

Oh yeah, that! So this is where it's at.
    Yay for S curves!

• Animation Domination

HighLeveller great photos wish you could stay longer but DLR will see you in August. Anyways if I would have gone on Wednesday the top ten would all being to me. I went on Tuesday and I own the whole top ten. HighLeveller you did a great job for a person who doesn't come that often to Disneyland.

• Goofy

great shots thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice's Wonderland
    Pretty shots! And total bummer about your camera. Sorry the whack to the side didn't make it work. It always works with mine.
    It did for a while, but whatever's disconnected became too disconnected to fix with a whack. It'd be like trying to plug something in by shaking the cord.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Just try unseating and reseating all the flexi-cable interconnects, and any mating connectors between stacked main boards. If it isn't that, they really are made to be disposable -
    Yep. But one nice thing about more modern stuff is it's designed to be more quickly assembled, which can at least make putting together a working unit out of several nonworking ones fairly easy. Contrast this to older consumer things, where component-level repairs on circuit boards are quite practical because conventional and replaceable parts were usually used, but you have so many bunches of wires, soldered connections and a billion different shapes and sizes of screws and hardware that getting it apart and back together is the real task.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal
    HighLeveller great photos wish you could stay longer but DLR will see you in August. Anyways if I would have gone on Wednesday the top ten would all being to me. I went on Tuesday and I own the whole top ten. HighLeveller you did a great job for a person who doesn't come that often to Disneyland.
    Thanks--I try. It's a bit of an obsession just like any good game. Not half bad monopolizing the top-10 on Tuesday. On Wednesday, remember the targets weren't lighting up at all that day, so no bonus points for anyone, although I suppose that levels the playing field for everybody. I don't think anyone had above around 1.5M on the top-10 around closing time. Were they working correctly on Tuesday?
    I'm not sure I come too un-often: this was my fifth time this year so far. But I want a break from the parks. Uncle Sam wanted to fund some visits to a variety of places and sent me a nice check to do it (wasn't that nice of him?) and of course I can't refuse an offer like that. I'll be back in all of seven weeks most likely--gotta get good at TSMM.

And for everyone, feedback much appreciated again Glad you liked what there was.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Wonderful pictures.... until the camera decided to have a nervous breakdown. Looking forward to you fixing or replacing it and doing another trip report with more pictures!

And the hat..... well, lets just say last Halloween I made my own pattern and made a jester hat for my costume. If I had had your hat... it would of been soooooo much better!!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

thanks for the trip report! loved it!
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast