• Waiting 4 DCA Demolition

Why Didn't Space Mountain Open With the New Tomorrowland in 1967?

I saw today in the new video in the 50 Years of Magic lobby that Space Mountain was on the New Tomorrowland concepts in 1967. Why is it that it did'nt open up in 1967 and instead ended up debuting first in DisneyWorld and then 10 years later in Disneyland after it's original opening concept?
    "Walt Disney World may have more than Disneyland, but Disneyland has quality, and quality triumphs over quantity" -DL_CRAZE

• CM for 4 years!

Re: Why Didn't Space Mountain Open With the New Tomorrowland in 1967?

Probably because it was only a concept at the point. Then Walt died, and everything came to a screeching halt. The concepts which had been more FINALIZED were able to come to fruition. But I think Walt had hardly approved the idea when he passed. I'm not 100% though.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Minion

I think the needed technology to build "Spaceport" (as that was the going title back in 1965) wasn't there.

And I'm sure "money" was a big part of it as well.

Not even the 2-tier land idea happened which is shown in several artist renderings dating 1964 thru 1965.

It's amazing how quickly Tomorrowland:67 came together. Plans were finallized .. construction commenced ... and the land opened in less than 2 years.

Today ... it's seems any project takes 5.

Space Mountain's excavation began Dec 1975. Soft openings began in early April 1977. An entire complex in about a year and a half. The latest rehab took more than 2 years.
    Last edited by Escapé; 08-22-2005 at 10:52 PM.

• Banned User

I am guessing that since Walt had never fimalized it due to Roy saying you spent too much.. LOL that it went into limbo.. and eventually resurfaced since WDw was not going to get a materhorn.. and people wanted a rollercoaster ride... the it was such a hit it was brought to DL in it's olde/current form...

this was due to money or other issues.. like technology needed at the time did not happen and they needed to invent it..

• All? NO, ALL!

Space Mountain was very much blue sky in 1967. As mentioned, a lot of the plans at WED when Walt was alive were shelved upon his death, as he was the one who would lead WED to those creations. When Space Mountain opened at WDW in 1974, there were plans already to bring it to Disneyland. But seeing as the future site of Disneyland's Space Mountain was not large enough, Space Mountain was made smaller for Disneyland (WDW's Space Mountain has a diameter of 300 ft, Disneyland: 200 ft, so approx. 2/3 the size), which eliminated the chance of two tracks. But Disneyland's Space Mountain is longer and faster than the Florida tracks, so maybe one track is better than two. But Space Mountain at WDW was also used as a way to bring a Matterhorn-style coaster (2 tracks) to the coaster-less Magic Kingdom.

• FastPass n00b

The technology Space Mountain used when it first came out was revolutionary at the time. It's commonplace today but the 2 rails were connected with a third rail underneath that acted like a triangle and distributed the weight evenly. This allowed the tracks to be propped up and still have a structure that can accommodate the stress of the ride.

I'm not sure if this technology existed in 1967, but New Tomorrowland was already so packed with new areas and attractions that there probably wasn't enough time or money to think about building Space Mountain, which in itself is a full-blown revolutionary project. Walt knew in 1966 that his time was growing short and I'm sure he would have rather had a fully supervised New Tomorrowland than wait until Space Mountain was ready.

Another element of all this is that the plans to build many new additions to Disneyland, which were already in the works in the early 60's, had to be put on hold while work on the four 1964-1965 World's Fair pavilions was completed.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Don't forget that Spaceport was not just going to be an indoor coaster. Parts of the track were supposed to be outside of the cone. So I'm sure keeping light out was also a serious issue.

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Don't forget that Spaceport was not just going to be an indoor coaster. Parts of the track were supposed to be outside of the cone. So I'm sure keeping light out was also a serious issue.
    It's not too hard to keep light out. The Tron tunnel didn't have a problem.