Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    117

    The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Frequently on Micechat, the topic of expired rides inevitably comes up. Some people have a fascination with them simply because they never got a chance to ride them during their short time (such as the Rocket Rods). But sometimes it becomes near fanaticism towards the ride and, I'd imagine, anger about it's closure (Peoplemover, anyone?)

    Let me paint a picture for you...
    Remember watching Transformers, or Ninja Turtles back when you were a kid. Those shows were amazing and entertaining. Go watch an episode now and realize how absolutely terrible it truly is. Your memories make those shows and those rides great.

    If they were to recreate and open some of these rides, there would be a sudden burst of attendance, then it would immediately drop off. There's a reason these rides were closed down. In particular: Adventures Thru Inner Space. I think this ride would be more embarrasing to ride on than any nostalgia could ever make up for.

    I'm betting that 5 years after Honey I Shrunk The Audience is closed and replaced that people on Micechat will be begging for it's return.

    Maybe I'm missing something, or just particularly cynical. I'm hoping I'm not the only one who feels this way though.

  2. #2

    • Senior Monorail Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim Hills, CA
    Posts
    1,449

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Old rides hold old memories. Old rides hold old gags. Old rides old on to a time when Disney was different. Old rides hold on onto a certain time- Walt's time. That's why everyone likes old rides. They keep a shread of memory, a shread that cannot be replaced. They make us remember the times with family, the fun. I was 7 when the subs left, and there went a shread of memory. Then they came back, and now I get to share those memories once again.

    I will never forget riding in the Mark V monorail when the Mark VII comes online

    I will never forget Fort Wilderness.

    I will never forget my first ride on Hainted Mansion.

    They hold memories, memories we wish we could recreate dearly. That's why everyone likes them.

    So, maybe your just not getting it, or maybe you just need to think a little deeper. I'm sure you have memories like these... just think....
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!


  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anaheim, CA
    Posts
    1,110

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    There were some ones that were ok, and were closed because of something more popular. Take Mr Toads Wild ride in WDW for example. I've never rode it or been to WDW but I have seen videos of it on YouTube and it was a GREAT dark ride. But Winnie the Dominator took over. He even did in DL a few years later.

    As times change, our perception on things of the past also changes, so take that into account as well. Was the old fashioned nature of most of America Sings acceptable by most people in 1974? Perhaps, but I don't think it could work as well now...

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,380

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    ORWEN: Well, there's at least ONE retired attraction coming back and that's the Sleeping Beauty walk through. Some things are so timeless that they should never go away, you know. They can be improved here and there. But they should still be around--like Sleeping Beauty Castle.

  5. #5

    • Seasick
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    3,190

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Memories are definately clouded by a healthy dose of nostalgia. I have watched old Transformers cartoons as an adult, and you're right - the shows I used to love can be pretty terrible. However, I think you simplify the issue too much. I wouldn't dismiss opinions on long-gone rides as mere nostalgia.

    I disagree that people will be begging for the return of HISTA, just as I see no one begging for the return of Superstar Limo.

    You mention Inner Space, the one ride I'd love to see return more than any other. I actually think this would hold up better than the ride that replaced it, Star Tours, which is terribly dated. Is it due to nostalgia? Sure, quite a bit. But I also wish there were more of that type of ride. Lengthy and original omnimover attractions that the entire family can experience together give way to fast-paced thrill rides far too often (a problem at Epcot as well).

    I think anger and fanaticism would be exhibited by a very tiny fraction of the Disney fan base. Most of us are merely disappointed at the loss of certain attractions.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

  6. #6

    • Giving up Film
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    Posts
    137

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    It could also be, that perhaps the attractions that replace the discontinued one's are generally not as good (if they are replaced at all, aka. peoplemover.) I don't mean this for every case, but it would make some sense. However, if the attraction that is replaced isn't as good as the one that is replacing it (like the above mentioned superstar limo) then we are less likely to attach to it.

  7. #7

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Nostalgia's fun, and some of us are really prone to it. No harm in recognizing nostalgia for what it is, though--a lot of times, we mistake attractions we remember fondly for attractions that were actually superior. I know I'm very sentimental about the Rocket Rods, but I know that they really were a half-baked idea that was cheaply executed, and I probably wouldn't care so much about them if they were still open or if the visit during which I rode them hadn't been so amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    You mention Inner Space, the one ride I'd love to see return more than any other. I actually think this would hold up better than the ride that replaced it, Star Tours, which is terribly dated.
    I strongly disagree. ATIS appears to have been a great ride for what it was, and there's no shortage of understandable emotional attachment to it in the world of Disney fandom. But I think Star Tours holds up immeasurably better than it did, despite its datedness. And it will feel all the more modern (hopefully in a good way!) after its second version opens.


    And this is the part where, to most of y'all's perception, I nullify any opinions I have by saying that I will be missing HISTA five years after it's gone. It's not a top-rate attraction, but I like it for what it is, and despite the common opinion of most MCers, the audiences are still enjoying the show.


  8. #8

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,445

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post

    I disagree that people will be begging for the return of HISTA, just as I see no one begging for the return of Superstar Limo.

    You mention Inner Space, the one ride I'd love to see return more than any other. I actually think this would hold up better than the ride that replaced it, Star Tours, which is terribly dated. Is it due to nostalgia? Sure, quite a bit. But I also wish there were more of that type of ride. Lengthy and original omnimover attractions that the entire family can experience together give way to fast-paced thrill rides far too often (a problem at Epcot as well).
    .
    First of all, I'd prefer Superstar Limo rather than Monsters Inc, especially if they put all the money they used to change it over into refurbing it and refining it. I'm sorry, but I'm a sucker for original attractions that fit the land.

    As for ATIS, I think the idea would still work, but the actual ride would come across as incredibly hokey. There's a reason it was a popular make-out ride. But, in all fairness, if the ride would have remained, it would have undoubtingly been given upgrades and refurbishments to bring it up to modern audiences' standards.

  9. #9

    • Fancy that...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,311

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    I agree with you, I don't really like the word "Nostalgia" .."just keep moving forward"? right?

    I DO however want to see the Peoplemover return..but not anything like it was, all redesigned and made fresh would be good.

  10. #10

    • ...my first visit to DL
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Posts
    388

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Perhaps Transformers or Ninja Turtles just don't hold up as well as some of the old discontinued rides?

    Some of the attractions of the past have served their purpose and should move on. Others, however, still had life in them and could have been re-engineered to keep them fresh and up to date. The Skyway could have been ressurected if handled properly - a unique part of the Park was lost. The removal of the Peoplemover was a mistake as is evidenced by the still empty track threading throughout Tomorrowland and a Disney created transportation system was lost.

    I'm a firm believer in Walt's idea that Disneyland should not be completed - but his caveat was "as long as there is imagination left in the world." For the most part, older attractions that are lamented because of their passing have been replaced with something less imaginative...and the Park suffers for it. Comparing Country Bears to Pooh, Rocket Rods to Peoplemover usually results with the newer attraction coming up short. If that trend is reversed, maybe the obsession with the discontinued will as well.

  11. #11

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clovis, CA
    Posts
    130

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    And also, the technology used on attractions like the peoplemover or Adventure Thru Innerspace were relatively new. Sure, if you brought them back now, they've suck, compared to the tech we have now.

  12. #12

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    Frequently on Micechat, the topic of expired rides inevitably comes up. Some people have a fascination with them simply because they never got a chance to ride them during their short time (such as the Rocket Rods). But sometimes it becomes near fanaticism towards the ride and, I'd imagine, anger about it's closure (Peoplemover, anyone?)

    Let me paint a picture for you...
    Remember watching Transformers, or Ninja Turtles back when you were a kid. Those shows were amazing and entertaining. Go watch an episode now and realize how absolutely terrible it truly is. Your memories make those shows and those rides great.
    I will agree that there is a lot of obsession with older rides, but you can't throw a blanket over all of it and compare it to TMNT cartoons.

    I'm glad you brought up the PeopleMover because here is an example that you can still ride at WDW (i.e. Tomorrowland Transit Authority) and many of us who go to the Magic Kingdom still enjoy it. So, IMO, that would not be a good example since it's something we can wish back and know it's still as good as we remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    If they were to recreate and open some of these rides, there would be a sudden burst of attendance, then it would immediately drop off. There's a reason these rides were closed down. In particular: Adventures Thru Inner Space. I think this ride would be more embarrasing to ride on than any nostalgia could ever make up for.
    I do agree that many of older attractions would not be successful today and most of them are gone for a reason. While it's not true in every case, the most common reason for an attraction's demise is that it wasn't that popular anymore. Country Bears and Inner Space likely weren't packing them in before their closure.

    On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with nostalgia. For some people, Inner Space might have been one of their favorite attractions and there is nothing wrong with that. That doesn't mean that it should/needs to rise from the dead, but it also doesn't mean that it was a crappy attraction.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    I'm betting that 5 years after Honey I Shrunk The Audience is closed and replaced that people on Micechat will be begging for it's return.
    Every single attraction has its fans -- even Golden Dreams has fans! So HISTA may have a few people who might want it back down the line. I don't think it's horrible; it's just stale. Even a good movie gets stale if you see it too often.

    Quote Originally Posted by chiablo View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, or just particularly cynical. I'm hoping I'm not the only one who feels this way though.
    I'm someone who generally embraces change at DL. They want to pirate-ize Tom Sawyer's Island? Go ahead! Want to incorporate the movie characters into POTC? Sounds good to me! Want to put Disney characters into IASW? Doesn't bother me. Want to put a 'Dream Suite' where The Disney Gallery is? Well... I'm not thrilled with that, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it either.

    Personally, I can deal with most of the changes and I often myself at odds with a great many MC'ers who often reject change at DL. However, there is nothing wrong with people loving the attractions of the past.

    Sure there is a line between nostalgia and an irrational desire to bring back all the attractions from the past, but in a discussion forum, your opinion is no more valid that anyone elses. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how much people want or don't attractions to return since Disney has the only say in the matter.
    Last edited by KISSman; 06-29-2008 at 06:04 PM.

  13. #13

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,454

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    I think there are two aspects of this. There is nostalgia for lost attractions and for lost experiences. Personally for me, there are really no specific rides I really care about coming back. I wouldn't mind the Bears coming back and a new ATIS would be cool, but I'm not begging for their return. I would like the experience of a quality AA show and a classic Disney dark ride in Tomorrowland though.

    I would like the experiece of traveling high over the park and the sense of motion that the PM, Skyway and RJ all offered to return in some form since that experience has been lost. Other then that, it's dissapointment that the new attractions aren't better than the old like others have said.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

  14. #14

    •   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Not quite here.
    Posts
    21,282

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    There's no obsession. Just discussion. There are several rides I would love to see brought back. Peoplemover, the Sky Ride, America Sings, Circlevision. I sometimes talk about that. I'm not obsessed about it.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

    Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

  15. #15

    • Dive ..... Dive.....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,753

    Re: The strange obsession with discontinued rides

    Are you kidding? ATIS would be one of the best attractions if it were brought back with 21st century technology. There is nothing that says it has to be brought back to life in the same exact way with omnimovers. It could be redesigned and converted into a E-ticket attraction very easily. Just use your imagination.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Discontinued Decade
    By DL_CRAZE in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 10:03 PM
  2. Looking for all rares and discontinued Items
    By Gladious in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM
  3. All quests discontinued at DLR except for...
    By barfownz in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-26-2007, 07:17 PM
  4. Adventureland Quest is now Discontinued at DLR
    By barfownz in forum Disney Interactive and Game Industry Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-02-2006, 10:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •