Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

What happened to the summer crowds?

Maybe it's the economy or the price of gasoline, but the number of people at Disneyland is seriously down from last year at this time. Today, there were many rides with hardly any wait times. Space Mountain was 20 minutes, Big Thunder a walk on, etc. Did anyone else notice how light the traffic was today. After years of summer crowds, these last couple of days felt like the off season.

Re: What happened to the summer crowds?

We were there on Friday and I was surprised at the lack of lines for rides. Then again, I was with my almost 2-year old son, so we didn't really go near any lines for the popular rides. Could it be that the So Cal passes are blocked out now?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

I think the So Cal's are blocked now. That morning I went on Matterhorn 3 times in a row because every time I got off, there was almost no line so I just got right back on. I was there Father's Day, and it was pretty light then too. About 6 in the evening we walked onto Pirates, walked onto Haunted... I think the only thing that really had a line was Nemo that evening.

Not sure if its the So Cal's being blocked, the gas or the temperatures or a combination of all of them.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    I think the So Cal's are blocked now. Not sure if its the So Cal's being blocked, the gas or the temperatures or a combination of all of them.
    Yep, we're on the outside looking in...with blackout tix costing another 40 bucks now, I believe...plus parking even if you had paid for it on your AP...

See you in September, baby.

-- Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Is it summer yet???

That's music to my ears! I'm planning on going tomorrow after I drop my hubby off at work.
    Rally Rat, Oh how I've missed thee!

• Animation Domination

Probably the reason less people are going to Disneyland is because of gas prices and most that live in other states don't want to travel on plane. I think only locals are going to Disneyland with very little that are visiting from other states.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Not sure if its the So Cal's being blocked, the gas or the temperatures or a combination of all of them.
    It's not because of AP blackouts. APs were blacked out during the same times last year and it was way more crowded.

And I don't think its due to the temperature, because last weekend was blazing hot (at or above 100) and it was packed. Although a lot of that I think was that schools just got out and going to DL is a reward for that. But now that schools have been out for awhile, I don't think this is a factor anymore.

I think its due to gas prices. The crowds this weekend I think are more or less what its going to be like for the rest of the summer. Which is nice, but then again we are witnessing price increases on certain things so its nice to have a crowd too.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Trust me when I say its the gas... Everything is much slower this year than it was this time last year...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• FastPass n00b

I've avoided Disneyland on purpose twice this year due to the costs. It just doesn't make much sense for me to pay $150 for two people when I could go to Knott's down the street and pay $50. I'm sure no one would argue Disneyland is a MUCH better park to visit, but the prices have become a huge issue now that they are well past $70 per person.

I bought dinner at the chicken restaurant, endless snacks and ICEEs, carnival booths, souvenirs, and parking for the same amount of money at Knott's than just to walk in through the front gates of Disneyland for 2 people!

• Looking for Hidden Mickey

I agree, I was at the parks yesterday and it was not packed. I notice all the regular rides had at most a 25 minute wait. TSMM was 40, Nemo was about the same, but all the other rides was a short wait.
    Check out my page at www.myspace.com/wheresmickey

Check out my pin collection at www.pinpics.com. User name is WheresMickey

• Circle of Ancients

I certainly think it's the Gas to an extent as far as the out of state people go, but the SoCal passes mostly when you consider the locals.

Yes, Disneyland is a local destination in a lot of respects, but because they are pushing, and pushing the AP's, especially the SoCal AP's that means they aren't going to be getting that SoCal AP traffic in the summer.

Who would have thunk that the summer would be the slow season at the parks.

I do think they're pushing the APs harder than ever. As for gas - so far as it affects airline tickets? Heck, yes, it's a factor. My family is going only because my father travels for work and happens to have the frequent flyer miles right now - otherwise, we couldn't afford it.

But whatever the reason, I hope the attendance remains sluggish for the next several weeks ... I don't want the park to suffer overall, but it would be awfully nice to have a little breathing room.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

Uh $4.79 a gallon gas....

over 90 degree heat ....

more people are going to their local theaters to see matinees

maybe they will see Wall-E

maybe after they see it they dont want to spend money in the land of impulse plushy toys????

;-)

"This would be a great place if we could only get rid of all these people." - Walt Disney

"Whenever I go on a ride, I'm always thinking of what's wrong with the thing and how it can be improved."
    — Walt Disney

"I wanted to retain my individuality. I knew if someone else got control, I would be restrained." —Walt Disney

"The fun is in always building something. You see, we never do the same thing twice around here. We're always opening up new doors." —Walt Disney

"I've always been bored with just making money. I've wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going..." —Walt Disney

"I can never stand still. I must explore and experiment. I am never satisfied with my work. I resent the limitations of my own imagination." —Walt Disney

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Work it until it's done and done right." —Walt Disney

"Freedom of speech in all forms and in its broadest sense — has become vital to the very survival of a civilized humanity." —Walt Disney

I try not to question the volume of crowds.

• coco puff/chanel

Blog Entries

I was there yesterday and it was not crowded at all. We left before 12:30 pm but still almost all the rides we went on including matterhorn were practically walk ons!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast